Slapped Down for My Enthusiasm

Options
Hey folks,

I've been on MFP for about 6 weeks and its going great - losing 31 lbs with calorie counting and working out 6-8 times/week. My ultimate goal is to drop another 40-50 lbs to get closer to my BMI. My wife is very supportive and we've both made a complete lifestyle change as far as daily routine and diet. Happy to add some friends for moral support!

However - I have an "excessive" personality. Meaning when I decide to do something, I jump in with both feet and go full-boar. Unfortunately my friends are becoming annoyed with my constant calorie tracking and mention of workouts. Therefore, I'm hoping to turn more to the MFP community for support.

Wishing everyone luck!

Replies

• shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    firstly congrats on your current loss , i know exactley how you feel my friedns have tuned out to my calorie counting exercise regime , please feel free to add me :)
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    congrats on your accomplishments...good that you know your personality style and you can always choose to tone it down if you wish with certain unappreciative type people.
    (I think I share some of this myself! LOL) I find myself doing some self-editing after my initial enthusiastic sharing.

You can shout it out here though! :happy: we are happy to see each other do well.

:bigsmile:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    it is hard for people who are not as gung ho as you to make the wonderful changes you are making in your life....my NON mfp friends and family are overall supportive and excited for the amazing transformations i am making in my life over the last 3 years but my mom readily admitted to my face she is kinda sick of hearing about my calories in and my calories burned...my best friend kara and my sister sarah will continue to listen until the cows come home cause they are soooo proud of me and the permanent changes i am making in my life....so i go to them the most for my support and praise when i need it....just be strong and happy in the choices you are making to improve your life and accept that not everyone is where you are at....maybe they will get inspired by your changes and make some of their own but if i have learned anything in this process, everyone moves at their own pace and that is just fine.....good luck in your journey, you are doing great.....keep up the hard work....it is worth it i promise.....
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Wow, people are really something else. You have to take care of yourself first and then everything else will fall into place. If they don't understand oh well...you and your wife have to keep truckin along to make this happen. Congrats on your weight loss! :)
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    sorry dble post....
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far and your lifestyle change! Attitude is half the battle! :flowerforyou:
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive comments. On the upside, I've inspired some old friends to get into shape!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I kind of know how you feel. LIke you, when I commit to doing something, I jump in and do it big!
    But I also know that I can let some things kind of "take over" and so I have only really talked to a few close friends about my weight loss/exercise regimen since I began; the one I talk to most about it is my gym buddy anyway, so that works best, lol.

So yeah, I'm kind of aiming for the element of surprise with everyone else, haha. People at school have begun noticing changes and complimenting me/asking me if I'm taking speed, lol.

Either way, the community here is awesome, and we'll never get tired of you talking about calorie counts/exercise/success stories! So keep up the good work!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    That's cool.

I don't know when to quit, or when to shut up. But fortunately, I'm not a good listener too....
  • CWRose
    CWRose Posts: 62
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned "real friends" would completely understand how great this is for you and how amazingly important it is to keep an intense focus for success purposes. Maybe toning it down could help, but, that might cause you to slip. Be yourself and continue to hold that enthusiasm. You don't change yourself for friends, just like they don't change themselves for us! Congrats on your achievements thus far! :)
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I'm another member of Over-Doers Annonymous. Thankfully,I'm also the quiet type, so while my mind is constantly sizing up portion sizes, tracking workouts and calculating net calories, I don't talk about it much. I just do it. None of my friends have to ask how I'm doing it, they can see for themselves. -- I just can't bear to be the lifestyle version of the little old lady always complaining about her aches, illnesses and treatments.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Count me in the group that sometimes go overboard on things. At my age however I have toned it down some and with this program I am letting the physical change do the talking. I am doing this for myself and no one else. If they want to inquire I will be very happy to tell them what I have been doing. I appauld your enthusiasm and your results to date. WTG.
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Shout it out here! We'll are happy to listen and 'get it' .. and congratulations on your loss but gain towards better health :smile:
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! This site is perfect with that! I have my friends... But I love turning to my amazing MFP friends!
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have become like that too. so after a few complaints and rolling of the eye i said whatever and i do not mention it anymore to those people.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. When I set my mind to do something, I am completely absorbed with it. My hubby was a little annoyed at first, but he has come to embrace it. (thankfully!) My friends and my in-laws(my family is too far away to be overly bothered), do make several comments about it. I try not to mention it to anyone outside of MFP, unless they ask. This site as become a very positive outlet for me and I hope that you enjoy it too!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have to laugh at this! My friends and family also are tired of hearing me constantly breaking down recipes, counting calories, carbs, fiber, exercise etc, etc. In fact, our Easter Sunday service started with the pastor discussing how people these days are so concerned with there health and what they eat and on and on. One by one, everyone in the pew turned to glare at me! I got the hint................haha
    I also have had 2 coworkers recently tell me that my weight "problem" is all in my head (they've heard enough too I think!). I am 5'1" and around 136-137 lbs. I need to be under 130, ideally. I also struggle with high cholesterol and all that that entails, and I'm only 39 yrs old. It's NOT all in my head. But, I'm trying to keep my mouth shut about it lately.
    Anyway--good luck and great job so far! This is a great place for like minded people, I have found!