I'm looking for a set of diverse porridge recipes.

Options
julianpoutram
julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
I love porridge, I eat it practically every day for breakfast. I am however becoming a little bored with the same recipes. I'm looking mainly for recipes that incorporate whey protein as that's what I do anyway, but if people have suggestions that are full of flavour and very adaptable then I would love to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to see what people suggest! :smile:

Replies

• misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats! :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    One of the women at my strength & conditioning gym swears by banana flavoured whey protein, pb2 and cocoa in oatmeal. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds amazing.

I normally just use vanilla whey powder and thawed frozen fruit (softer/mushier than fresh) in mine, with some nutmeg or cinnamon.
  • jodster1504
    Options
    It's great and the possibilities are almost limitless. You can add all sorts of fruit (blueberries & bananes are my favorite) and sprinkle slivered almonds or coconut flakes. I also love to top with honey, maple syrup, peanut butter.. Yummy with vanilla or chocolate whey :P I've even seen people make it in the oven with chocolate chips!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This morning I made my oatmeal with skim milk, PB2& polaner sf strawberry preserves. PB&J oatmeal. ...kept me full for 4 hours.
  • floridamatty
    floridamatty Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I put in 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, 1/2 serving of Gold Standard vanilla whey protein and about 5 pecans (broken up) makes it real nutty.

Another one I make sometimes, is add a tablespoon of sugar free Jam and my protein powder to my oatmeal, strawberry and raspberry are good.
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    there are tons of oatmeal recipes online, but here is one that I do (it doesn't involve whey...but I'm sure you could add it in). I call it cookie dough oatmeal! I add in egg whites (I find it makes the oats more filling, I add while cooking), vanilla extract, a little butter, brown sugar and chocolate chips.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    instead of oatmeal try Red River Cereal (also sold as "Sunny Boy"), or cream of wheat. Each has unique flavours.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    How about different types of grains? Wheat, corn meal, or grits. I switch between oats and grits.

Chopped dried fruit. A tablespoon of various jams. Oats with an egg for protein (not my fav, just a personal preference). If you add milk, a few drops of vanilla makes it taste sweeter.

Brown sugar - thanks for reminding me. A favorite.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Sometimes savory oats are a nice change. Cook the oats in chicken or veggie broth instead of water. Mix in grated cheese, green onion, chopped meat, chopped or shredded veggies, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and chocolate drops, yum!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of different porridges, from oatmeal, millet, buckwheat, barley, tapioka, polenta.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    This website has some nice recipes for cold porridge, and they're really easy to make the night before and take them to work with you:

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/224

I make the raspberry one quite often:

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/224

The one complaint I have about this is that they list the recipe being 230 cals, but I have it at around 380. It's 400 odd below because I've added extra milk for tea throughout the day. I have no idea how she managed to get the recipe down to 230. I also have it as providing a lot more protein.

24mwbdi.png

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My two recipes are pretty simple,

I make up a vanilla shake (with milk) as normal, add that and 50g oats (I like the oats with bran kind) to a pot and just heat it for a couple of minutes. Stick it in a bowl with a teaspoon of Nutella.

Or cottage cheese, dry oats, strawberries, blueberries and honey.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I either mix 40g oats with 20g butterscotch protein powder, 100g frozen raspberries (thawed), 15g walnuts, and 150ml of coconut milk ... baked in the oven for 15 mins, or;
    40g oats, 100g greek yoghurt, 50ml coconut milk, 100g frozen raspberries, 5g raw cacao powder, 10g chia seeds, 15g walnuts, 10g honey ... left overnight in the fridge and eaten cold the next morning.

I also frequently just mix 30g oats, 100g greek yoghurt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 15g of any sort of nut butter, 10g mixed seeds, and a square of dark chocolate melted on the top as a snack.