Accurate WEigh-in Time?

Options
Hey everyone
So I have heard for the best accuracy you should weigh at the same time, after peeing, clothes off. Well if you are a daily weigher like me and let's say one night you eat at 1 AM or even 2 AM because you have to work the night shift or something....then isn't it more accurate to weigh later? Like to offset your weigh-in time by the 2 hours difference since eating two hours later

When I do that it seems my weight is maintaining. But if I weigh at earlier time (yes I have set alarms to wake up at 8 AM and wegih, then at 10 AM) then shows I have gained. Which is more accurate? I was thinking the later one because earlier is more just food weight. It can be anywhere from 1-3 lb differences we are talking.

Thanks so much
Jess

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    That exactly why I dont weigh every day lol. It would drive me crazy. I just weigh around once a week. Honestly, I dont think changing your weigh in time by a few hours would make much of a difference. If it is showing a few pounds up or down, it is almost surely sodium or water weight.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    for me this depends on how much time I spent sleeping, doesn't matter how late I eat. I weigh every day so I can graph my results and watching the trends is interesting. for the majority of my mornings I will lose weight from the night before as long as I've gotten at least 7 hours of sleep. if I have only gotten 6 or less it is usually guaranteed I will still be the same or maybe even a bit more than the previous evening.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're always going to weigh with food in your body. I can't do it at the exact same time, as I work earlier some days than others, but I always do it immediately after waking up and using the bathroom. If these fluctuations bother you, drop to weighing once a week or less.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about one weight or another. I weigh regularly so I can see trends. Daily fluctuations are a part of life but trends give you the better picture. I use the Libre app on my phone.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You need to chill!!! being a female as well, your weight can change drastically from one day to another just from hormones. Even what you eat can affect your weight, like if you've had a high sodium meal, I sometimes am 4lb heavier the next day!! I would ditch the scales and use a tape measure instead.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in once a week, straight out of bed before breakfast. For me it is Sunday morning, stark naked after I've done my business in the loo, to get the most accurate results.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i weight in every 15 days (the 1st and the 15th of each month) and i do it in the morning, after going to loo, usually just in my underwear.
    than i can clearly see what has or hasn't happened. ^.^
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If you're setting alarms to weigh yourself, it's become obsessive.

Try and only weigh yourself same time once a week. For me, it's Sunday morning since I wake up at 6am to get ready for church. I use the bathroom, turn the shower on, get naked and weigh.

• romachel1978
    romachel1978 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh each morning when I get up, before getting in the shower. I only do this right now to get a better sense of what different foods do to my body (I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol) so I can learn to make better choices from the info.
    As for actually logging my weight, I only do that every second Saturday, so basically twice a month. It seems to fluctuate by a few pounds all week long so I wouldn't want to track that too often as it wouldn't be very accurate.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Same time, place and bat channel.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I weigh every day, right after waking and using the bathroom and have the mindset that I'm looking for trends. I plan on doing this for life because I fooled myself into being so overweight by avoiding the scale. I want to maintain the loss I hope to achieve by monitoring my weight, and I know it will fluctuate naturally. Best to get used to that now.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    So it's more just about doing it first thing in morning when wake up and less about the same exact time? Guess will be around the same time anyway once my classes start back ( I am a master's student). Thanks everyone. Tried weighing earlier this morning and showed 1.5 lb gain....weighed at the later time since ate at 2 AM and only .4 up so flux....so hard to know which to beleive.
  • EPHarbor
    EPHarbor Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every couple of days; first thing, naked, after business. The daily fluctuations play too much with my motivation, so I don't bother.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. I get up, use the bathroom, take the dog out, then I get on the scale in my pj's. The actual time may differ but I have slept about 8 hours before weighing myself. I don't get on the scale again until next week no matter what it reads.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Just weigh the same time and day or same time each day. Your body weight fluctuates throughout the day so who cares what is "most accurate". In a few hours you may weigh a pound more. What you are after is a decrease over time to show your hard work is paying off. To do that....all you have to do is weigh at the same time each day or same time same day of the week.

Personally I weigh in at 10am on Saturday mornings in front of my PT.....this can be slightly frustrating as it can be effected by what I had for breakfast and what I did before I go to the gym. However, the change of time is still there.