At home workouts

Options
Hello everyone! I have recently gave up my gym membership for a few reasons. Main reason is I hate the gym. I have been doing more at home workouts and doing research into different kinds of at home workouts. I was hoping to hear from all of you other lovelies working out at home. What do you do? What is your favorite go to workout? How did you build your at home workouts? ect...

Replies

• oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got kicked out of our local high school wt room. The old "lie ability" issue. Decided then to make my own wt room. Got on craigslist and looked for the important stuff first. I now have a squat rack, bench, full set of dumbbells, cable machine, calf machine, lots of plates and bars etc. Got about 2000 into it. Some would say that is more than they are willing to pay for a membership, but if and when I sell, I will get most if not all of that back. Space can be an issue, but having it right here is great. Now there isn't a lot I can't do.
  • anovak1009
    anovak1009 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have 2 small children, so it's much easier for me to work out at home. I was having a hard time finding how to go about it until I bought the Zumba DVDs. I love them! I can do it right in my living room during nap time and don't need anything but myself. I have lost 13 pounds in the last few months. Obviously I have been maintaining a calorie deficit, but Zumba has been a great help. And I just in general have more energy by getting up and moving :smile:
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com has a lot of great videos - and they're all free. Most use only body weight - so it's good if you don't have a lot of equipment right now. There are also lots of videos on YouTube.

My husband and I both have gym memberships, and also have a pretty decent home gym that includes an olympic barbell/bench/weights, adjustable dumbbells, pullup bar, resistance bands, etc. We bought it piece by piece as we could afford them.

I've also went the other route and have a few different DVD workouts at home (BodyBeast, P90x, Insanity, 30 Day Shred, etc.).

I guess it just depends on what you've got to work with, what your goals are, and how determined you are to make it happen.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Sparkpeople.com (Articles and Videos)
    YouTube

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I also hate the gym so all my workouts are done at home or outdoors.
    I have a Nordictrak Spin bike which I do HIIT sessions on three daysa week and I use Resistance bands for strength work three days a week. I use youtube videos for my spin sessions and am a member of LIVEEXERCISE.com for the resistance band workouts. I also like to fast walk/Jog when walking the dog trying to cover 4-5 miles in an hour this I do 5 days a week. So ive no need for a gym it saves me loads of money and I get to be in the fresh air instead of some germ infested gym.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I work out at a gym and at home. Someone else mentioned fitness blender which I love. They also have 4 and 8 week programs (I don't do the eating part, though), which help organize their selection of videos. I think it's like $10 for the book, you don't need it, but I did find it helpful to know which videos complement each other.
    FitSugar
    Sparkpeople
    BeFit
    All of these have a great selection of videos. And I've actually found a few great amateur videos too.

DON'T forget your local library. My library actually has a lot of workout videos that you can rent, including things like Zumba and Jillian Michaels. This way you can try some of the DVDs before you buy them.

I've never tried Daily Burn, but I've heard good things.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You might want to invest in several books, one being Bret Contreras's "Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy" and another being Delavier's "Women's Strength Training Anatomy Workouts" by Frederic Delavier. Have a look-see on Amazon.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am currently doing Les Mills Body Pump and Combat but have also done p90x (2)(3), chalean extreme, Body Beast, etc... I started with resistance bands, then added selecttech dumbbells and now have a small bar. Ideally, you want a program that is going to work on the major muscle areas and is focused on compound lifts... stuff like squats, deadlift and your push/pull muscles.

There are tons of programs on youtube or fitnessblender.com if you want to get started with something simple.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It all depends what your goals are. Are you looking to get fit or lose weight? Increase your cardio or strength?
  • llkemp
    llkemp Posts: 15
    Options
    I love to walk so I use the tread climber and lots of different exercise videos, which I have a good collection for working on the stability ball, zumba or walking with leslie sansone. so I don't get bored there's always something different I can do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have been using workout videos on you tube, dvd's, fitness video games, and walking.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    For home workouts, I started with body weight exercises (push ups, squats, etc) and progressed on those for a long time. I also used a Wii fitness game. You can find all kinds of routines online. Just find something that will help you progress as you get in better shape.

Eventually, I bought myself weightlifting equipment and have a home gym - Power cage, bench, barbell and weights. Weightlifting is my home workout now. Plus, I run (outside).
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com is awesome. They have tons of free workouts and you can use their website to filter by difficulty level, type of workout, upper/lower/total body, and type of equipment needed (including "no equipment").

My equipment at home is just a yoga mat, a few dumbbell pairs (10-40lbs), and a couple of kettlebells and cost me <US $100 total. Always on the lookout for the next size weights at a good price, though, as I find I'm a little underbelled now.
  • scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have dailyburn.com, its still a monthly membership. But, the trade off is very worth it. Being only home a week a month I refuse to pay for a gym membership, the rest of the time I use hotel gyms that I am at. Dailyburn, is a great website, they have about any type of work out program you could imagine.