Am I doomed.......Hypothyroidism

Options
Hypothyroidism question: I was diagnosed with a underperforming thyroid about 2 years ago and have been taking synthroid. I am 46, 5'3" and weight 150-160. My question is to fellow MFP folks that also live with this condition because I don't know anyone else with it that isn't controlling their weight. I know that normally as a person ages there metabolism slows and that hypothyroidism ALSO slows it. The question is about what to set my MFP goal (daily cals) at. Do you take into account your condition and say drop 100 cals off the goal MFP sets for you? I get so confused if I need to include but when I use the set goal I don't lose any weight. In the last year i have had my weight creeping up from 145 to what I am now 159. I make sure I get my 10,000 steps in a day (Fitbit). Now I just need to start watching/counting every morsel I eat I guess. Sometimes I get so angry, is it me being lazy or is my body fighting. Am I going to just get bigger as I age and that is IT! Am I going to live either starving myself or just say screw it. My Dr. keeps my meds in check but says I need to learn my new body. I am retired military and I have always been a certain body shape so this is very hard to wrap my mind around. When I tell people I have it, I get the "good luck trying to keep any weight off" or they say "so and so has it, look at her". Any advice or stories that could help me get a handle on this would be greatly appreciated. I am such a positive person and I am starting to feel a bit concerned.

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    you are not doomed. I've been on thyroid medication for over 20 years. If you're regulated and make an effort, you can lose weight. I never lost any in 20 years because I never tried. In the last year trying I've lost about 67 pounds. I didn't do anything different because of my hypothyroid. I did reduce carbs because of insulin issues, but I never took my thyroid into consideration at all when choosing calorie goals, etc. It's possible we burn a little slower with under active thyroids, but I don't believe it's so much to make a big difference. It's all about what you put in your mouth. Try the basic settings for your stats for a while and adjust accordingly. If you're honestly weighing and tracking and still not losing as much as you think you should, bump the calories down a little. It's trial and error.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    You are not doomed. But my question is whether your meds are at the correct level? Are you seeing an endocrinologist or just your GP? If you're not seeing an endo, you need to be. :)

I was diagnosed hypo in Sept 2011 after gaining over 50 pounds in less than a year. My gyn ran the first panel of bloodwork and started me on a low dose of synthroid, but I made an appointment with an endo as soon as the bloodwork came back (I had to wait 6 months for an appointment). I was VERY happy to finally have my appt with the endo, because he ran additional tests, and although some were the same as what my gyn had run, what the endo considers "normal" is a much narrower range than my gyn. We wound up increasing my dosage 3 times before my numbers were where my endo wanted them to be.

Once you're on the correct dose of meds, you will be able to lose weight. It took almost a year to get me on the correct dose, and then another 6 months before the weight started coming off (my other symptoms went away first), and it is VERY slow going. It's taken me almost 2 years to lose 50 pounds, and I HAVE to count every bite that goes into my mouth and I HAVE to exercise more than the average person (like 30 minutes of weight training 3x a week and at least 45 minutes of INTENSE cardio 3-4 times a week - I'm a triathlete, so my cardio is all swim/bike/run), but it IS coming off. I'm now back at the weight I was when I developed hypo, and only 15 pounds away from my goal weight.

HTH! :)
  • ipress1962
    ipress1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow sufferer and continually struggle reducing body fat %. Although I do use myfitnesspal daily to monitor calories it is more of a guide than a religion. I do find that logging food is crucial to fat reduction as you become aware of every morsel you eat and question its value. However with hypothyroidism I find that even if I reduce calories, do my ten thousand and hit the weights, the progress is slow, and the worse thing is that if I take my eye of the ball for a week I quickly increase to a unwanted set point. Saying this the fat is coming off me slowly and I'm treating it as a life style not a diet. Now the controversial stuff that many will either disagree with, ignore or shout at the screen over. As I've said before calories are not important, what is important is the type of foods you eat, their combination and the overall percentage of each. Please research everything and don't take the word of anyone unless it's backed up with science not anecdotal comments. Internet search someone such as Ben Palkulski (Yes I know he's a bodybuilder) but his science stands up. And Bodybuilders can get down to incredibly low body fat % without drugs, just good science and hard work. Parting comment! Try not to eat Carbs and Fat at the same time they don't metabolise well together, again science based! Search it. I can assure you fat management can be attained with hypothyroidism its just harder. Good Luck and enjoy your food. Oh and make sure your medication is set at the right level the range doctors use is quite wide and as long as you hit it they level out your meds, however your metabolism might function more efficiently at the higher range but still within tolerance.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am normal weight, just working on the last 6 vanity lbs, but with mine I just have to look at it as 200 less cals a day than I should be getting if it want to lose. That seems to be the difference between a normal and underactive thyroid, for me at least.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've found that on synthroid my metabolism stays static - I don't gain weight like I did before I was diagnosed, but I can't lose it either. I've never quite been satisfied with synthroid for this and other reasons, so I've talked to my doctor and we're starting me on Armour (which is natural dessicated thyroid) and we'll see if that helps any at all.

I second the recommendation to see an endocrinologist as well as a GP - my GP is fairly well versed in basic endocrinology so she is willing to work with my meds to find something that works for me, but I know that many are not and having the endocrinologist take a look can help make sure its not something more malignant.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What everyone else said, especially ipress1962, being a fellow male hypothyroid patient. It's a bit harder for us hypos. It's still cico, but we have to work harder at getting the calories out, rather, not getting them in because our bodies don't like to use the calories. I'm on levothyroxine 150 mcg and Cytomel 25 mcg. I think my doc needs to put me back up to the 175 mcg I was on for years. He didn't like my TSH (too low, he said), so he lowered my dosage. :\
  • seashellsk
    Options
    Thank you all SOOO much for your responses they have given me a lot of food for thought (no cals involved lol). I haven't gone to an endocrinologist yet because they won't made one with you unless you have more going on than low blood tests. I do get my blood work evaluated every 6 months. I have went from 100mg down to now 50mg. With each reduction I have gained approximately 3-5lbs on the same diet and exercise routine. I feel foolish whining to my Dr. that it's making me gain weight. If the test say my levels are good on the lower I don't feel I can say anything or I am a sissy girl. I have also noticed the lower the mg the colder I am all the time and I itch way more. I have been using a light simulator at work and it seems to be helping with my lower vitamin D numbers and depression. Heck who knew HypoT is a high cause for seasonal depression. Guess I need to pull on my big girl pants and start voicing my concerns to my Dr. If she won't listen, find a new one. The auto goal that MFP set for me is 1200 cal and I will exercise to earn more each day. I can start there and see how it goes. TY!
  • mntrunner
    mntrunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are walking and have a goal for how many steps you take per day. Only think I would add is try adding some more intense cardio and light weight lifting to your arsenal. Getting your heart rate up for 20 to 30 minutes is a great way to create a calorie deficit without having to further cut back your calorie intake. 1200 calories is pretty low and wouldn't recommend going any lower then that. Otherwise you may end feeling deprived and this can lead to overeating. Adding some weight training is important to help build muscle, which in turn is going to help you burn more calories. As soon as I started seriously weight lifting, the fat loss dramatically increased. And no I didn't get big bulky. I started to look lean and fit.

I have been on levo for over 6 years now. Yes, it is much harder to lose weight or keep it off, but it is possible. A dietitian told me to increase my calorie intake to help prevent the yo yo affect on my metabolism, which with hypothyroid is the last thing you want to do. Play with your calories, but I certainly wouldn't go any lower. Good luck to you.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    seashellsk wrote: »
    Hypothyroidism question: I was diagnosed with a underperforming thyroid about 2 years ago and have been taking synthroid. I am 46, 5'3" and weight 150-160.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) in 2012. I'm 46, 5'2", and my starting weight was 154. I have a Fitbit, too!

Meds (in my case Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But I kept gaining & gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. And I reached goal before my thyroid levels even hit the "normal" range.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am also struggling with hypothyroidism. I'm 38. 5'2. 162. Have been down to 143. I understand the struggle. Feel free to add me.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have been on Armour Thyroid meds after giving up on Synthroid about 2 years ago. I have way more energy and thryoid numbers are better for me, BUT I still battle moving the weight in spite of working out and counting calories. I am most motivated to do KETOGENIC diet after watching my older sister lose weight at a ridiculous rate this way. She had been on Weight Watchers for years and finally moved it really quickly, almost 30 lbs in 12 weeks. Anyhow, glad to add and find motivation with fellow thyroid challenged ladies, and especially those who want to do the Ketogenic (high fat, middle protein, low low carbs) route.
    Add away :-)
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and I'm losing just fine on MFP's suggested calories. As long as the doctor is keeping your levels stable you shouldn't gain weight because of hypothyroidism and you shouldn't have any problems losing either.
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely not doomed! I've been diagnosed for 7 years now. I managed to lose 55lbs at my worst (I'm not great with taking my medication...New years resolution be a better patient). I barely lost any last year but that's because I wasn't really watching what I ate. Most of last year for me was about exercise. When I stick to my diet I go down slow and steadily. Just find a way to eat for you that's realistic, not too junky, and enjoyable, and stick within your limits. For me that's been low carb. But everyone and every body is different. Also I highly recommend weights. Changed my body shape. My waist is way narrower now, and my arms and thighs and I'm getting some good biceps going. I lost about 6lbs all of last year but my total inches lost were 15. That's with me barely taking my medicine regularly and at 223 lbs. :wink:
  • priincessjess
    Options
    I am new here and went undiagnosed with an underactive thyroid for 13 years which they now say is completely dead. I am told that weight loss is impossible but I refuse to give up. All we can do is our best and personally, I still think it is possible. Best of luck!
  • seashellsk
    seashellsk Posts: 8
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your thoughts and sharing your stories. I guess I am having a hard time redefining just who I am now. In the last 4 years I feel I have just gotten OLD. I have to wear glasses to read, I gained 30lbs in 3 months, I am now closer to 50 than 40, divorced and find out I have to take medication for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I have made great strides in regaining my sense of self...... hiking, backpacking, weight training, speed walking AND a much younger man. I just have kind of leveled out (slacked a bit) and I wondered if I have to forever maintain such a high level of exercise intensity or I will balloon up. Mid-life crisis.....maybe, but I am going to try my hardest to be the best me I can and your words have cleared up a few things that were weighing me down.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the only people who are doomed are the people who believe they are doomed and don't deserve success and happiness.

the only people who are successful or those who believe they will be and that they deserve it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    My DW had half her thyroid removed due to a goiter. She went from 165 to 123 in a little over year at 5'3". She also is currently on synthroid. So no, you're not doomed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png