Soup ideas! Please

Options
scifi81
scifi81 Posts: 31 Member
Hi there,

Ive had a soup maker for Xmas! I love the curried butternut squash that my dad makes. Any other ideas ? No cream though :-)

Thanks
Emma

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a good recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I just buy some chicken broth and random veggies, simmer everything for 30 minutes then blend it. So far there hasn't been anything I haven't liked... I've done carrots/cabbage, leek/potato, leek/cauliflower, carrots/potatoes (I always add onions). Delicious. I don't like soups with bits in.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I never heard of a soup maker. What makes it different from a plain pot?
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato, red lentil and tomatoes. Saute some onion/garlic, add broth/water, a medium sweet potato, maybe 1/2 to 1 cup red lentils and either a can of diced tomatoes or equivalent fresh chopped. Cook until potato and lentils are tender and either mash with a potato masher for a chunkier soup, or blend for a smooth soup.

The Moosewood Lowfat Cookbook has a cauliflower soup recipe you might check out, but I didn't like the seasoning in it, nor did I like that the carrots turned it kind of golden. If I made it again, I'd skip the lemon juice, mustard, etc., stick with just the veggies and use parsnips instead of carrots to keep that nice, creamier look.

I am temperamentally incapable of following recipes, I'm afraid.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No cream because of general dairy issues, or is it just cream that's off the list? The cauliflower soup calls for buttermilk.

I've also made "cream" of broccoli using potato soup as the base instead of a cream-flour-butter mixture. Wasn't bad.
  • patamaraja
    patamaraja Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    scifi81 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Ive had a soup maker for Xmas! I love the curried butternut squash that my dad makes. Any other ideas ? No cream though :-)

Thanks
    Emma

If u r looking for a creamy soup ,soaking pearl barley then cooking it and grinding with butternut squash will help . I've tried it with spinach n onion soup.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Turkey sausage Italian soup
    1 package Italian turkey sausage (take out of casing, then brown meat)
    Diced onion and garlic cook after sausage
    Then pour in the below
    1 can diced tomatoes
    4-6 cups chicken broth
    Basil (fresh if possible)
    Red pepper flakes
    Salt... none needed if you don't use low sodium broth
    Simmer for 30 minutes or keep in crock pot for a few hours
    Before serving add 2-6 cups chopped spinach

Optional add ins (more calories I just add one of these)
    White beans
    Diced potatoes
    Pasta

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup is just the best in terms of calories for your buck and filling you up. Kitchn has some good recipes here: thekitchn.com/ham-or-vegetari-159450. My favorite is with ham since I love extra protein and the savory quality it lends.
  • MarineLibby
    MarineLibby Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like making a fish chowder. Sautee diced onions and garlic first. Then add diced red pepper and sautee for a few more minutes, add some crushed red pepper and sautee for a minute. Then add chicken broth as full as you want ( i usually do about 8 cups). Add a can of drained corn, a can of drained diced tomatoes, a box of frozen spinach is also good and adds color and nutrients, add a grain of choice (I usually do diced potatoes), and a fillet of desired fish. After about 15 minutes fish will be cooked through and you can separate fillet with a fork. Potato should be done a couple minutes later. Yum!
  • Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been learning the fun of a slow cooker. Start with the basic question what meat? yesterday I did stew beef, beef broth, onions, cellery, mushrooms, some salt free sesoning, and tryied a brown rice lentle mix worked out very well! Just stick to real foods.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    We are having potato leek soup tonight. Just Google for it, this is Julia Child's Potage Parmentier. Don't let the name scare you, it is super easy to make.
  • jessthep1rate
    jessthep1rate Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how a 'soup maker' works, but I love this recipe:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/dads-creamy-cauliflower-soup-1-pt.html

It's super simple, and amazingly creamy with NO cream or even milk in it. My boyfriend is allergic to dairy and we used Earth Balance instead of butter and it came out incredible--my boyfriend, who is anti- just about everything healthy, absolutely adored it and ate it all up before I could even take any leftovers for lunch. :D
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Potato leek soup is so easy and delicious! A lot of recipes you search for online say to add heavy cream to it, but I've always made mine just potatoes, onions, leeks, and chicken/vegetable broth, and it's so good.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Eating Well's last issue had a great Portuguese, Red Bean & Kale Soup and a Leak and Cabbage Soup - unfortunately I used a bitter cabbage :(
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Revolution is an AWESOME cookbook - the second one, not so much
    Josephfunk wrote: »
    I have been learning the fun of a slow cooker.

• SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for a white bean and kale soup. My family really likes it!
    http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/78023/bean-soup-with-kale