Tummy Area and Carbs

Options
My biggest problem area is my tummy and waist...I have lost 34 w/ mfp and 64 all together...I lose weight quickly in my arms and leg area...my tummy and waist is going down, but very slow. I was told to not eat any carbs like pasta and bread to help flatten the stomach?? I maybe eat pasta once a wk, but I do eat low calorie/carb bread almost everyday in addition to differ fruits. Does anyone know if giving up carbs or limiting carbs (bread/pasta) to once a wk will flatten the tummy...I did not want to eat foods realistically I couldn't give up for the rest of my life...this is a lifestyle change for me...Sorry for the ramble...Thanks!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is what gets you to your goal. Don't give up foods you love just eat less of them. CICO
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem area is my tummy and waist...I have lost 34 w/ mfp and 64 all together...I lose weight quickly in my arms and leg area...my tummy and waist is going down, but very slow. I was told to not eat any carbs like pasta and bread to help flatten the stomach?? I maybe eat pasta once a wk, but I do eat low calorie/carb bread almost everyday in addition to differ fruits. Does anyone know if giving up carbs or limiting carbs (bread/pasta) to once a wk will flatten the tummy...I did not want to eat foods realistically I couldn't give up for the rest of my life...this is a lifestyle change for me...Sorry for the ramble...Thanks!!

It took forever for my boobs to lose weight along with all my other parts, but it happened last. I'm very pleased.

Carbs having nothing to do with weight loss or gain and eliminating them won't eliminate stomach fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Genetics dictate how your body loses fat................. not carbs. Just continue on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce in certain areas... Your body will lose fat where it wants to. We can't control that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It's just genetics. I lose fat in my butt and thighs last. For others, it's their stomach. Just keep losing weight and it'll get there eventually.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    I did hear to be careful with what fruits you eat. Some have no much sugar, they are as bad as sweets. Because our body processes sugar the same, doesn't matter where it comes from. Just something I heard.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yup it's genetics not carbs

I read somewhere that losing weight is like a wet sponge, you can't dry out just one area first, it comes from everywhere
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I did hear to be careful with what fruits you eat. Some have no much sugar, they are as bad as sweets. Because our body processes sugar the same, doesn't matter where it comes from. Just something I heard.

Neither fruits nor sweets are bad for a person.

• AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should concentrate now on exercises which promote a flat tummy :) that's going to be your best bet on tightening up that area x
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Neither are bad, and they certainly do not contribute solely to belly fat. Eating too much of anything does that.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    You should concentrate now on exercises which promote a flat tummy :) that's going to be your best bet on tightening up that area x

Aaaaand...there's no such thing as spot reducing.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think in a way it is carbs that are a problem... they're so darn easy to get hold of and over eat. Yes, cico. A whole wheat or multi grain bagel even with fat-free or low-fat cream cheese is still calorie dense. I think it's easy to overdo pasta, rice, potatoes because they're so plentiful and cheap.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks everyone...I didn't want to give up certain foods that sound unrealistic...I will continue on CICO...I think it is genetics as most of the women in my family is apple shaped...lol
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY love pasta, get some spaghetti squash. Our family has been wanting it but I just cannot eat pasta. My whole family loves it and it's lower in calories. Plus, a couple servings would probably equal all the needed veggies for the day. :)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Even when I was very lean (before my relapse!!!) my lower belly was the last to go. It was much smaller and some people would even say I was being ridiculous but I still felt it was there. They say the first place you gain weight is the last place you will lose it from. That means I will have to be even leaner than my prior state in order to eliminate the belly fat. I want to know what a truly flat stomach looks like and won't stop until I get there! Good luck.
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your right...I gain weight in my stomach first fast...lol, so probably will be the last to go; I tried spaghetti squash...didn't like it, I think I may have prepared it wrong...I wasn't a fan:(
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Your right...I gain weight in my stomach first fast...lol, so probably will be the last to go; I tried spaghetti squash...didn't like it, I think I may have prepared it wrong...I wasn't a fan:(

I did something similar with zucchini with this spiral veggie cutter. It was meh and very easy to over cook and be mushy/nasty. But what I did discover is that I love beets! They are pretty hardy and I also spiral cut them and added a little oil, salt and pepper and nuked it. It was delish. I wouldn't call it a pasta alternative but it was pretty hardy and filled me up.

Why not do quinoa? I don't really eat rice or pasta but only because I don't feel they are worth the calories. I'd rather have sweet potatoes or even roasted red potatoes.

Just a thought. Cauliflower is very adaptable. You can chop it up and cook it al dente and sub for rice or pasta in dishes. You can even make it the main course (e.g., curry cauliflower). It's also hardy and fills you up. I use in in stir fries with chicken or beef to add bulk to my meal so I am not hungry. I know some people also puree it and make a fake mashed potato out of it. I'm not a mashed potato fanatic so I haven't tried it.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Are you under a lot of stress? There are some studies that show that excess cortisol can also increase tummy fat. Here is a link to the abstract of a research finding on the association between stress, cortisol, and tummy fat: http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16353426 I have read similar articles over the past couple of years.

There are thoughts that even exercising for too long a period might make it difficult to rid ourselves from excess cortisol.

I have been really working on stress control as uncontrolled stress is just bad for our health in weight loss, sleep, and immunity response.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Nope. Matter of fact it can make it look worse. if you have the fat in your tummy, and do lots of ab exercises, the building muscle will actually push the fat layer out a little more. I watched this happen to my niece, who was in ok shape but wanted to have a flat stomach, so she started to do tons of abs. What ended up happening is that after a month of intensive ab work and no fat loss, she looked like she has a 3-month baby bump rather than the flat tummy she was after.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you REALLY love pasta, you will be disappointed by spaghetti squash.

FIFY