Activity Tracker - Buy it Now ???

Options
So i want an activity tracker. Now.

I have been reading all sorts of reviews for a while and trying to learn about all of the different products available to figure out what i want or need. I was holding off to make a purchase but then today i realized it is the last day for me to earn 5% cash back shopping on amazon with my credit card. The quarterly promotion ends today, i want to buy one TODAY!

I keep ending up on the page for the Garmin Vivofit bundle with heart rate monitor. I think the worst thing i have read about it is that the strap doesn't stay clasped. If it's a good monitor i will tape it on if i need to. There are thingamabobs that are being sold to hold it on.

The bundle price is $120 with free shipping. That doesn't seem too bad to me. Between the credit card rewards i have and a gift card, i think i will be paying like $60 in the end.

Garmin Vivofit, would you buy it? Do you have it? What's your opinion on it?

Is there a different one you prefer? Should i wait for the release of new ones or jump on this deal?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for the Up3.
  • randomid123
    randomid123 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip, and I like it. I do not know much about the product you described above.
    You could try it and depending on the return policy return it if you do not like it.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    That one got my attention too. Wouldn't a chest strap be more accurate for heart rate?
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the FitBit Surge to come out. Any day now. https://www.fitbit.com/surge#specs
    Check out the reviews of the ones you are interested in on Amazon. The only reason, I'm waiting for the Surge instead of buying the Garmin is because the reviews on FitBit wearables are higher than the Garmin ones.
  • randomtai
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    That one got my attention too. Wouldn't a chest strap be more accurate for heart rate?

The Up3 uses technology from the previously most accurate tracker on the market.
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    I'm waiting for the FitBit Surge to come out. Any day now. https://www.fitbit.com/surge#specs
    Check out the reviews of the ones you are interested in on Amazon. The only reason, I'm waiting for the Surge instead of buying the Garmin is because the reviews on FitBit wearables are higher than the Garmin ones.

I've been reading reviews like crazy. For a little while i was certain i wanted the Surge. I guess i will read more, i have until the end of the day to take advantage of the promotion. If i don't get the couple of dollars cash back i wont cry.... much lol
  • roullmann
    roullmann Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my FitBit Flex nearly all of 2014 and love it because I can connect it to MyFitnessPal and other software. CNet always has good reviews of tech products:
    http://www.cnet.com/topics/wearable-tech/best-wearable-tech/. Good luck!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

The Up3 uses technology from the previously most accurate tracker on the market.
    Is that from the Huff Post article an accuracy of various trackers? The Body Medias were only about 1% more accurate than the cheap Fitbit Zip, so I wouldn't pay up on that account, personally. The UP3 is cute, though!

If it helps, OP, the Garmin is probably a great choice and a HRM with strap is always more accurate and a nice tool to have. But if you mostly walk and do strength training or pilates or yoga, you may not find you use it much because it's designed for steady state cardio type applications. And you can buy a HRM and a HR-less tracker separately for about the same price, though they won't communicate.

Does the app or web site appeal to you? Is the customer service decent? If so, go for it! Amazon will take it back if you have buyers' remorse early on. Good luck!
  • randomtai
    Options

Is that from the Huff Post article an accuracy of various trackers? The Body Medias were only about 1% more accurate than the cheap Fitbit Zip, so I wouldn't pay up on that account, personally. The UP3 is cute, though!

If it helps, OP, the Garmin is probably a great choice and a HRM with strap is always more accurate and a nice tool to have. But if you mostly walk and do strength training or pilates or yoga, you may not find you use it much because it's designed for steady state cardio type applications. And you can buy a HRM and a HR-less tracker separately for about the same price, though they won't communicate.

Does the app or web site appeal to you? Is the customer service decent? If so, go for it! Amazon will take it back if you have buyers' remorse early on. Good luck!

Accurate is accurate. *shrug* I am not going to get into this with you again. :p
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    right now, the vivofit is the most accurate activity tracker out there (that doesn't require a paid subscription to access your historical data). I have a garmin 920xt (gps multisport watch and activity tracker all in one)....and I've been using garmin hr straps for over a year between the 920 and my old 310xt. I have NEVER had an issue with the strap coming undone (you only wear it while exercising, NOT all the time, even with an activity tracker)...you just need to make sure the strap is tight enough around your chest.
  • CarrieCans
    Options

Thank you.

Before summer i want to get into a biking routine and then a hiking routine. Right now i am kind of limited to using a stationary bike. I need to convince myself to start doing workout videos or something but i have some physical limitations.

I have never returned anything over buyers remorse but that option is a bit appealing.

I want to eventually get a tracker of some sort for my BF too. He wouldn't be upset if i didn't like what i got and passed it on to him so i could get something different for myself. That's part of the reason i am wanting to make an impulse buy.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I say do it. I know it can be a lot of money but if tracking appeals to you, you probably will want something new in a year anyway. No one would blink at spending $100 on a prescription they needed for their health or new eyeglasses or something. A one hour physical therapy appointment costs that much. A month of Crossfit costs more. People regularly pay $15 for one yoga class. Two months of WW costs that much. My first Fitbit motivated me to lose 35 lbs. that year, so around $3/lb. Bargain! (Is that helping?) ;)
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    I say do it. I know it can be a lot of money but if tracking appeals to you, you probably will want something new in a year anyway. No one would blink at spending $100 on a prescription they needed for their health or new eyeglasses or something. A one hour physical therapy appointment costs that much. A month of Crossfit costs more. People regularly pay $15 for one yoga class. Two months of WW costs that much. My first Fitbit motivated me to lose 35 lbs. that year, so around $3/lb. Bargain! (Is that helping?) ;)

Jeepers, i hadn't realized those things cost so much. Well, eyeglasses i did cuz i need them.

I just had to google crossfit. The closest is an hour away. I don't know of any yoga places or gyms other than the basement type for the guys that do serious lifting.

Where i live a massage will run you $50, PT is about the same and a chiro appt is $40. A full phsical at a DR office will cost you about $40. An appt if you are sick is about $65. Its insanely cheap here for some things and then other things don't exist.

That's all off topic lol

I love the $/lb comparison. That's how i have been looking at it all along.
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your feedback very much.

I talked it over with my BF and he said to order it. That's about all i got from him lol

I'm gonna order it. Not liking it is the worst thing that will happen and thats ok.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a bodymedia fit, and though it's kinda old in terms of the new ones that are out. I love it, you won't regret the hefty price tag. I've had it almost 2 years, and upgrading to the vivofit in July when my subscription is up with bodymedia (the only reason why I'm giving it up is because their customer service sucks and since I pay for a subscription, when I sync it their service is "down" frequently -- I think it has something to do with the fact Jawbone bought them out).
  • alley1975
    alley1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used a fitbit zip for most of 2014 and for Christmas I received a fitbit charge and LOVE it! Its very useful since it sync's with many app's.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If it motivates you to get moving, get losing.. or whatever, then it's probably money well spent. You will find that out with the benefit of hindsight though. I'd go for it if you think it will help as long as it isn't overly expensive
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Surge on 12/26. It is my first activity tracker and Fitbit product. There have been a number of mixed reviews with some problems reported with HR, GPS, steps, etc.

FWIW, here are my initial opinions after 5 days:

Pros:
    - Simple to set up and use.
    - Simple to link to MyFitnessPal. It provides a calorie adjustment based on your activity.
    - Interesting to see what you're actually burning daily in calories. I've always suspected that I burn more than what the calculators on the internet estimate. So far my data has confirmed that.
    - The above two points have made it MUCH easier for me to stay on track with calories. The MyFitnessPal calculator has my base calories around 2250. So when I set it to lose one pound a week, it would be about 1750 a day. I would starve and just couldn't make it. With the tracking and the adjustment, I'm consistently showing 3500-3900 calories a day. I've gone ahead and set it to 2 pounds a week with the 1000 cal deficit. 2500 calories is manageable and I've already lost some weight since last Friday.
    - I love the HR tracking graphs and data. I'm a numbers/data junkie, so it's just one more thing for me to watch/track.
    - Despite reports to the contrary in some reviews, I've had almost exact distance measuring with treadmill runs and walks as tracked on the Surge. As an example I ran 3.40 miles on a treadmill on Sunday. The Surge measured it at 3.42 miles. With that small of a margin of error it could have been either piece of equipment that was off.

Cons:
    - It does not link exercise and workout to MapMyFitness.
    - I've only used the GPS twice for walks. The first one was erratic during the first few minutes. I must not have given it enough time to get a strong signal even though the Surge indicated it had a signal. The second walk I gave it more time and it was perfect. It even showed which side of the street I was walking on. Yes, I crossed the street multiple times to see if it would show this accuracy.
    - It's a bit large. While not necessarily unstylish, you may want to consider this given your day-to-day dress for work, etc. I've never been one to wear a watch, so I feel it's conspicuous on my arm despite having fairly large forearms for my size.
    - The step counter seems overly sensitive (when not in exercise mode). When I wash my hands it adds 30 steps to the counter. Today I changed the setting to a less sensitive mode and I hope that will help.
    - While it tracks my sleep, I was under the impression it would do a more detailed job. I thought it might track the depth of my sleep and when I had an alarm set it would wake me in some range that I set when I wasn't in a deep sleep. While it has a silent alarm, it just goes off the time you set it for. That really was my mistake in assuming that's how it worked...there's been no indication I can find that suggests it works otherwise.

Overall I would highly recommend it. I think the cons I put above are either rectifiable once I'm more familiar with it (GPS and steps) while the other issues aren't deal breakers (alarm and size).
  • cjgsmg
    cjgsmg Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    gbel1975 wrote: »
    I got a Fitbit Surge on 12/26. It is my first activity tracker and Fitbit product. There have been a number of mixed reviews with some problems reported with HR, GPS, steps, etc.

FWIW, here are my initial opinions after 5 days:

Pros:
    - Simple to set up and use.
    - Simple to link to MyFitnessPal. It provides a calorie adjustment based on your activity.
    - Interesting to see what you're actually burning daily in calories. I've always suspected that I burn more than what the calculators on the internet estimate. So far my data has confirmed that.
    - The above two points have made it MUCH easier for me to stay on track with calories. The MyFitnessPal calculator has my base calories around 2250. So when I set it to lose one pound a week, it would be about 1750 a day. I would starve and just couldn't make it. With the tracking and the adjustment, I'm consistently showing 3500-3900 calories a day. I've gone ahead and set it to 2 pounds a week with the 1000 cal deficit. 2500 calories is manageable and I've already lost some weight since last Friday.
    - I love the HR tracking graphs and data. I'm a numbers/data junkie, so it's just one more thing for me to watch/track.
    - Despite reports to the contrary in some reviews, I've had almost exact distance measuring with treadmill runs and walks as tracked on the Surge. As an example I ran 3.40 miles on a treadmill on Sunday. The Surge measured it at 3.42 miles. With that small of a margin of error it could have been either piece of equipment that was off.

Cons:
    - It does not link exercise and workout to MapMyFitness.
    - I've only used the GPS twice for walks. The first one was erratic during the first few minutes. I must not have given it enough time to get a strong signal even though the Surge indicated it had a signal. The second walk I gave it more time and it was perfect. It even showed which side of the street I was walking on. Yes, I crossed the street multiple times to see if it would show this accuracy.
    - It's a bit large. While not necessarily unstylish, you may want to consider this given your day-to-day dress for work, etc. I've never been one to wear a watch, so I feel it's conspicuous on my arm despite having fairly large forearms for my size.
    - The step counter seems overly sensitive (when not in exercise mode). When I wash my hands it adds 30 steps to the counter. Today I changed the setting to a less sensitive mode and I hope that will help.
    - While it tracks my sleep, I was under the impression it would do a more detailed job. I thought it might track the depth of my sleep and when I had an alarm set it would wake me in some range that I set when I wasn't in a deep sleep. While it has a silent alarm, it just goes off the time you set it for. That really was my mistake in assuming that's how it worked...there's been no indication I can find that suggests it works otherwise.

Overall I would highly recommend it. I think the cons I put above are either rectifiable once I'm more familiar with it (GPS and steps) while the other issues aren't deal breakers (alarm and size).

I totally agree. I have a Fitbit One. I am actually on my second Fitbit. I got my first one 2 1/2-3 years ago and had it until the case broke. I love that they updated the case and it isn't connected now. I work in a professional environment and it I didn't want something on my wrist all the time. I want my tracker to be hidden but I wear my Fitbit everyday.

Comparing to friends, it seems like the Fitbit One is more accurate with steps. I have tried to see if other movement adds steps and it doesn't for the most part. For me, only very strange movements will add steps.

I wore it at night to track sleep until I decided that it really just told me that I feel better when I get 7+ hours of sleep. I still wear it when I want a vibrating alarm in the morning so I don't wake the hubby.

Trackers are as useful as you want them to be. I thought it would be the THING, the KEY, the END ALL for weight loss and it isn't. It is a simple tool that helps me know how active I've been. It has been incredibly eye opening to see how little I walk with a desk job sometimes, but sometimes I'm just tired at the end of the day and I have 4 kids to catch up with and chase to soccer, cheerleading, and cross country that sometimes my steps are what they are are. I'm working on doing better, but a tracker isn't something that I would feel like I HAVE to order today. It is simply a tool that helps awareness.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What about Polar Loop? I swim, walk, run and lift weights and I think the Loop is supposed to help track all of those. Use Polar FT 7 to track heart rate when running or walking. Garmin Swim is out of the question since seems to only track swim laps.