Tricep pain management

Ive been having tricep pain at the point of my elbow, pretty sure from doing dips everyday. It only happens when I do pushing exercises and has been ongoing for a month, ive been doing R.I.C.E. but it still hasnt gone away. Im starting to get very frustrated and was looking for any advice or tips as to what I can do to help hasten the healing process. Thanks in advance

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    What has your doctor diagnosed it as?

If you don't have a diagnosis, get one and see a pt. Could be a lot of things, and not fixing it will cause it to continue or increase in problems.

That's your choice though, to get better or not.
  • imedi01
    imedi01 Posts: 22 Member
    You know what this isnt the first time ive had this and the last time I had a flair up was two years ago, made a couple of doctors visits and he would just prescribe me vicodin, which kinda annoyed me because I dont like taking crap like that.
  • imedi01
    Also pain is only present when doing pushing exercises
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    You didn't answer the question - what was the diagnosis (the name of the problem)? Is it a problem with the tendon? the bursa? nerve impingement?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    What pressing exercises are you doing? Depending on what you're doing it's not hard to irritate your triceps, easier for some than others.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    have you tried wearing elbow sleeves when doing tricep exercises
  • dbmata
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You didn't answer the question - what was the diagnosis (the name of the problem)? Is it a problem with the tendon? the bursa? nerve impingement?

yup, particularly since it's not a simple system and current diagnosis dictates treatment... again, easily solvable if the person just goes to a PT.
  • imedi01
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    have you tried wearing elbow sleeves when doing tricep exercises

Yeah ive recently tried doing that but after the fact, when it does heal up im going to keep wearing the as a precaution
  • imedi01
    Youre assuming I got an answer myself, i was just prescribed pain meds both times I went
  • Sam_I_Am77
    imedi01 wrote: »
    Youre assuming I got an answer myself, i was just prescribed pain meds both times I went

What pressing exercises are you doing? Depending on what you're doing it's not hard to irritate your triceps, easier for some than others.
  • dbmata

Considering insurance requires a diagnosis in order to bill, you did get an answer. Somewhere.
  • imedi01
    dbmata wrote: »

Considering insurance requires a diagnosis in order to bill, you did get an answer. Somewhere.
    Look dude if youre going to be a condescending douche then dont answer, you werent in the office with me so dont make assumptions
  • imedi01
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Mainly dips, I think it was my form because initially I was going too low. But it flairs up when I bench and any isolated tricep exercises.
  • dbmata
    dbmata wrote: »

Look dude if youre going to be a condescending douche then dont answer, you werent in the office with me so dont make assumptions
    Ask to look at your chart from that visit.

It's not an assumption, it's the reality of our medical system and insurance. Insurance doesn't pay without a provider diagnosis. Medbilling 101.

As for the rest of the word vomit, lol.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Mainly dips, I think it was my form because initially I was going too low. But it flairs up when I bench and any isolated tricep exercises.

Interesting. I was thinking that you probably did Triceps pushdowns, extensions, etc in addition to dips, benching, etc. Well, just give it some time off to see if that helps. If not, get a professional opinion on it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    RICE it- and don't do things that hurt it.

I have bad elbow/tricep pain just above the joint- and guess what- the only way it gets better is by stop using it for a while. And if dips are causing you pain STOP DOING DIPS.

I am now back to being able to do 75% of the exercises I could do previously- dips- close bench- close push ups- even pull downs- but over head things like skull crushers- or tricep cable over head press- our WAY out of the picture. So I mean I'll take it.

But the only way it gets better is rest.

And get a second opinion- they are probably going to prescribe profen- and a PT- so go get it rehabed. if that doesn't work- keep pressing.

Drs aren't infalliable- go get a second opinion.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    doing dips everyday.
    Dips everyday?

I give it a couple days for recovery after dips (twice a week). I'm older and I don't want to tear up my shoulders or elbows.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited January 2015

Typical busy doctor. Well, the most common cause is tendinosis (="tendinitis"), and what helps for that, according to studies, are eccentric exercises.. which, in your case, means negative dips. In other words, start at the TOP, slowly lower, and don't push yourself back up.

Tendons heal slowly since they lack blood vessels, so expect slow improvement.

By the way, there's rarely inflammation with tedinosis (according to studies), so ice is unwarranted.

Do you sleep with your elbows folded up? That can cause elbow pain.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    See a sports medicine physician or physical therapist.

ETA: If you think it's from doing dips every day, stop doing dips.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    There would have to be a diagnosis for billing... but if the Doc seemed to just be giving you a painkiller and sending you on your way, it may not be a well thought out attempt at correct diagnosis. A month is a long time for pain, I would see another doc or PT.