Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hiya

been registered for a couple of years but just started using mfp today. I'm newly vegan (long time veggie), and looking to slim from a size 12 to an 8, but mostly to firm up what I have. Gym membership is ridiculously expensive so I'm here to get tips on slimming and fitness as well as to track my calories etc.

Hi everyone :)

Replies

• harryt678
    harryt678 Posts: 131 Member
    Hello and glad to see that you are using MFP! I have to agree that gym memberships are expensive and in the past I have never been able to consistently go to the gym so and do all my fitness at home. I would like to ask how it is like being vegan, I've always thought it would be a difficult transition after being able to eat certain foods, I don't know if I'd be able to give up eating meat. Hope you are able to find what you are looking for on here, I'll send you a friend request... let's keep each other motivated and offer support.
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    If you can set up a small gym at home with free weights, that could work excellent, else walking, running etc are useful. Losing weight is a mix of diet and exercise. Don't neglect either.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Hello! Since you've gone Vegan, I'm assuming you're doing it for ethical purposes? If it's just to lose a little bit and to tone up, then it's not that necessary. I've known a couple of vegans who have become overweight. Just like any other eating lifestyle, you can gain while being vegan if you eat too much. Tracking calories on here is DEFINITELY a good thing. Good luck with your goals! :)
  • SammyBoo1980
    SammyBoo1980 Posts: 56 Member
    Ahh don't worry I know all too well that being vegan doesn't equal losing weight hehe, until the last couple of days lets just say I haven't been using restraint (hey it's Christmas!!) :)

Thanks for the tips Jo. I've started out walking, 3 miles yesterday and 5 today. I plan to start running once I've built up a bit of initial fitness and stamina, then add in weights. I'd be interested to hear what you think would be good starting out equipment for this? I don't want to be ripped or anything, but I do want to be firm and toned.

Harry I haven't eaten meat in over 20 years and I never liked it, so for me it certainly wasn't hard. I have relied quite heavily though on quorn as a meat replacement and it's been interesting transitioning out of that and looking more into 'proper' cooking instead of always looking to recreate meat based meals. I've found it really fascinating actually and it's given me an interest in food I just didn't have before. I thought that I would find dairy very hard to give up as I love cheese and drink a lot of milk, but that has been surprisingly easy. I use a vegetable spread called 'pure' or just plain olive oil instead of butter, and I use plain unsweetened soya milk. There is a substitute for literally every meat or dairy based product you can think of so you actually don't 'give up' anything. I'm trying really hard though to get away from the whole mindset of replacing things and just learning about, experimenting with, and enjoying food in its own right.

Thanks for the welcome guys and happy new year!