Taking list of strength exercises to gym?

Options
Will people look at me like i am an idiot if I take a list of strength exercises to the gym? I have done them all before, but I just don't want to forget one or the order they go in. Its only my second day at this gym and I don't want to look too strange...not that it should matter lol.....

Replies

• SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have a pad of sticky notes that have my exercises written on them. If people even notice, they'll most likely assume you're starting a new program and haven't memorized the exercises yet.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Nope, take it with you. You will see a lot of people in there with their work out journals. I track mine on my phone with the notepad on my phone.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I track on my phone but if you are comfortable with pen/pencil and pad then go for it.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I carry a small notebook with my and see many others do it as well. It's the only way I remember my plan for the day as well as the weights I use for each exercise.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Try Fitocracy. It's a great tool for tracking workouts and PRs on your phone. As to your original question, nopers, saw someone with a clipboard only yesterday.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Haha, not at all. For the first 2 months, or probably even more of a new programme, I would have my little a4 sheet of exercises when I would go to the gym, referring to it during my session as I needed. Wouldn't need to do so now, as I have a pretty good idea of most, but back then that sheet had a bloody lot of different (and new exercises) on it, lol.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I use my phone to track weight training. But to answer your question, no, no one will care! I see plenty of people at the gym writing down their PR's, etc. in a notebook.
  • cebertz7
    Options
    Thank everyone :) And I will check out doing it on my phone when I get a chance!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you get judged for bringing your list to the gym and/or writing down your exercises, I can assure you that the one judging has the problem. You're being smart about it by having it written down and having it with you while you're exercising. If you're like me it is pretty easy to get confused when you lift hard, so having things written down is a huge blessing!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    cebertz7 wrote: »
    Will people look at me like i am an idiot if I take a list of strength exercises to the gym? I have done them all before, but I just don't want to forget one or the order they go in. Its only my second day at this gym and I don't want to look too strange...not that it should matter lol.....

I take a small notepad with me. I write out my sets, reps and weight. Not only so I won't forget the exercises I want to do, but also so I can track my increases in weight and strength gains. Who cares if anyone thinks it's weird.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I always had a hand towel, water bottle, and a sheet of paper with my workout on it. Much easier than trying to remember how many reps, sets, what weight you lifted last time or what lift you need to do next.

I always see people with journals or logging workouts in phones.

• FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My gym has a lot of competitors (I don't remember the categories but I think its fitness competitions, not bikini) and each of them have a notebook. I like my app (JeFit) but I've used a notebook before. Good luck to you!
  • scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I actually have a lot of body building buddy's, that carry a full size college rule note book with them. They use a page for every work out. If anything you will look like you know what you are doing versus not.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and have my laptop on with a spreadsheet on which I track my progress , it may sound a bit much but keeping track of the sets, reps and weights your lifting makes progressive overload much easier.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    I did this today but had it written on my phone....Would love to hear others suggestions for best way to do that...Don't worry about what others think ---- it's about you commiting to your self. Way to go.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have a program grid from a weight training class I took in the fall, and I've been taking it to the gym. I also use it to record my weights, reps, and even machine adjustments because I use two different gyms.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i log every workout details.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Smart lifters use journals. Some have paper, some have phones.

Do it. Be wicked smaht.
  • akeem063
    Options

Who cares What they think your in the gym to better yourself not to fit in and if it helps you remember then that's a legit reason to have it with you i also bring mine with me and if someone is paying that much attention to you they're not working as hard as they should be!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I used to take the Starting Strength book with me when I started it. The e-book was too hard to read on the phone.