Tummy Area and Carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Have you had a change to take a look at some of the posts stickied to the top of each board? You might find this one in particular pretty useful: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will follow up on suggestions, articles, recipes and postlinks to see if it helps...Thank you...You guys/girls Rock!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if giving up carbs or limiting carbs (bread/pasta) to once a wk will flatten the tummy...

No, it won't.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    What is your waist circumference? Is it over 35 inches? Sometimes a big belly is a sign of insulin resistance (but you'd need a doctor to run blood tests to see), which would call for at least moderation in carbs. However, if you don't have that or another medical condition, I would say focus on the calories and don't worry about cutting carbs further unless you want to.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You should concentrate now on exercises which promote a flat tummy :) that's going to be your best bet on tightening up that area x
    Abbie, this is a myth. You can't spot reduce.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to try low carb for a couple weeks and see what happens. It may work, or it may not. You'll never know until you try.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    One thing I've noticed as I'm getting older is that its harder to lose around my stomach. (Pretty sure its because I'm a stress ball). Carbs have nothing to do with it. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You should concentrate now on exercises which promote a flat tummy :) that's going to be your best bet on tightening up that area x

Aaaaand...there's no such thing as spot reducing.

Definitely true, but exercises that target the abdominal muscles can help people attain the look they want. While no specific exercise is going to help someone lose more weight in the stomach than elsewhere, someone doing abdominally targeted exercises will likely have a tighter and flatter looking stomach than someone with a weak core.
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I did hear to be careful with what fruits you eat. Some have no much sugar, they are as bad as sweets. Because our body processes sugar the same, doesn't matter where it comes from. Just something I heard.

Sugar from fruit is not as bad as processed sugar. Because fruits has fiber and the insulin spike is not as bad as it is with processed sugar.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure is to try low carb for a couple weeks and see what happens. It may work, or it may not. You'll never know until you try.

It's not the low carb that will be responsible for a flat stomach. Caloric and proper training is the key.

This.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    berto23 wrote: »
    I did hear to be careful with what fruits you eat. Some have no much sugar, they are as bad as sweets. Because our body processes sugar the same, doesn't matter where it comes from. Just something I heard.

Sugar from fruit is not as bad as processed sugar. Because fruits has fiber and the insulin spike is not as bad as it is with processed sugar.
    Sugar is sugar.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    berto23 wrote: »

Only really true if you're chomping down spoons of sugar in isolation which rarely happens
  • SILENTxMURDER
    Options
    Yep, like everyone said, you can't spot reduce fat loss.. and carbs have nothing to do with that. Everybody's bodies are different.

Try exercising though, strength training and some more cardio, it'll help. :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.