Does your weight fluctuate daily?

Options
I have noticed mine does, not by much .4 to .6, then the next day a full pound or more down. Is this fairly normal? I am use to weighting only once a week.

Replies

• mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've seen my weight fluctuate as much as 5+ pounds in a day, then be back to normal the next morning (I weigh myself daily). I don't freak out though cause I know that's normal per fluid balance, eating, etc.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Most of it is water retention, depending on what time of day you weigh yourself.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates hourly. :) I only weigh in in the mornings now, though. Same time weigh in, I believe, gives you the best indicator of where you are in your weightloss.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    2-3 lbs a day, usually up and hten by the end of the week back down.
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    my weight does the same thing it used to make me so upset but then i heard its better to just weigh yourself every morning were your weight is more accurate so im trying to do that instead of weighing myself a few times a day
  • nezeray
    nezeray Posts: 34
    Options
    I weigh every morning at the same time, and my weight fluctuates daily. I just watch to make sure that the low weights are getting lower and the highest are getting lower too. :)
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal. Everything you put in weighs something until processed through and out of the body. Even just 8 6oz glasses of water would be 3 pounds. Add in food and you're probably adding 5 to 8 pounds each day. Natural, normal and necessary.
  • joycemhall
    joycemhall Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    mine does, especially on days I have a higher sodium intake
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    mine fluctuates because of water retention as well. I know when I have a real high sodium day, my scale will call me 3lbs heavier, but by my next official weigh in day (im careful not to have high sodium days before way in...lol) it all goes away. Does make me want to throw my scale through a window though.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to. The Body uses Energy as it needs it.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It fluctuates throughout the day (lower in the a.m. and higher in the p.m.), but not too much day to day. If I eat a lot of sodium without lots of water, I'll see a little spike for a day or so, until it clears out.
  • yenohamk
    yenohamk Posts: 117
    Options
    I don't know, because I don't check my weight daily. It would drive me CRAzY!!! It's gotta be stressful to get on the scale one day, see a loss, and then get on the next day to see a gain bigger than the loss. Why torture yourself???:frown:
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Agree with nezeray: it's about the overall trend, not the day-to-day fluctuations. If you weigh yourself at approximately the same time each day, and check in your weight on MFP, you should be looking for an overall downward trend even though some days will be higher than others.
  • glemunyan
    glemunyan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this for years. I weigh myself in the morning before breakfast and after a shower. My scale measures bodyfat. I can see several pounds of variation from day to day and often this coorelates with bodyfat being higher, a sign of being dehydrated.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds in a day. So, yes fluctuations are completely normal. I tend to weigh more in the morning than I do at night - which is odd (and completely opposite of what most people do...). I do work second shift and I go to the gym at night, so maybe that is why?
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Thanks everyone!