Runner and always hungry??

Options
Anyone else feel like they are always hungry as a runner or athlete in general? As in you feel like you eat so much more than everyone else?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Yep! Especially if I'm training for a half. As long as I'm not using all the training as an excuse to overeat (happens sometimes), I enjoy that I need the extra fuel. :) Otherwise, I watch my calories and adjust if I'm eating too much or feel like I'm not eating enough.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not me.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Story of my life! I try to eat more on my longer run days, but I still feel like I'm always hungry.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When I started counting calories in January 2013, while maintaining my cycling and other athletic activities, I felt hungry a lot of the time. After three weeks, I stopped feeling hungry. Now I can get up in the morning and do a 25-mile ride or 6-mile run before breakfast. Its a matter of adaptation to using fat stores as fuel, and not sprinting.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm a swimmer. So yeah.

It's not that swimming doesn't burn the calories. Totally does. But if you're relying on appetite to regulate eating when you swim, you probably won't lose fast.