SHOCKED Newbie

pr872
pr872 Posts: 7
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone, my goals are to be more fit which included losing 50-60 lbs and changing my eating habits for a healthier daily result.

I'm borderline diabetic and heart disease runs in my family.

Been here just a couple of days and must say that I am shocked to actually see how my eating habits compare to recommended daily values...especially sodium (major concern/factor for heart disease).

Look forward to using this tool and having these forums for support in attaining my goals and using the site. I'm sure to have several questions as I go.

Happy New Year & good luck to all in getting healthier.

PR872

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Welcome! Knowledge is power as they say. Good for you for committing to making some positive changes. Incorporating more nutrient dense vegetables (prepared well) and you'd be off to a good start.
  • StepUP247
    StepUP247 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi PR872 - I'm new to this too and having dutifully logged for 5 days am also shocked at how hard it is to keep within the recommended limit for sodium even though I never add salt to food.... unless I prepare absolutely everything from scratch. I'm suddenly spending a lot more time in the kitchen!
    Good luck with your goals and a very Happy and Healthy New Year!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    My sodium intake reduced drastically when we went vegan a few years ago. Not because of the meat, simply because I stopped relying on packaged foods, as most of them contain either dairy or animal products. I make most things from scratch now and it definitely keeps sodium in check.

I also put away the salt shaker. It lives in the pantry not on the table, as I noticed my family salting all their food without actually tasting it first. The kids can have salt if they ask for it, but usually they don't.

Welcome, and good luck!
  • pr872
    pr872 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the kind words all.

In regards to the sodium, the first day I logged here I had:
    Breakfast - 2 poached eggs (no salt) w/ hot sauce & Mrs Dash on them and 4 strips of turkey bacon for breakfast...over 1200 mg sodium!

Lunch - Subway foot long cold cut trio sandwich on wheat...over 2800 mg sodium!

I was shocked, thought I was making decent choices. I know the lunch meat is not the best but I just never realized how MUCH sodium was in the sandwich till I saw it in my log.

Someone with my health history (see original post) is recommended to stay below 1500 mg & average adult below 2300 mg

I just consumed over 4000 mg in half a day! (hence the post title)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Reality can be shocking for sure, I remember when I first started but you're here... and that's commitment! :)
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Sodium's tough. And unfortunately it doesn't increase with a high-calorie diet. I usually aim for 3500-4000 calories a day, nearly double what most people need, but the sodium is still that same 2.3 grams.
  • lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Shocking to say the least. I must admit I don't take much interest in looking at the sodium content when I am logging. I am only interested in the kj intake and exercise outake! Your post has made me determined to look more closely at what is going in my mouth. Thank you and happy for new friend requests from dedicated MFPers
  • lonypony
    lonypony wrote: »
    Shocking to say the least. I must admit I don't take much interest in looking at the sodium content when I am logging. I am only interested in the kj intake and exercise outake! Your post has made me determined to look more closely at what is going in my mouth. Thank you and happy for new friend requests from dedicated MFPers

And just to add to the above I have done a check and 4 out of 6 days last week I was over my sodium intake. I failed to log yesterday but just know I would have been way over due to barbecue for dinner and wine partying with friends! May be just a light bulb moment as to why I am struggling at the moment.

• lonypony
    Under my sodium intake for the day B)
  • Laurend224 wrote: »
    My sodium intake reduced drastically when we went vegan a few years ago. Not because of the meat, simply because I stopped relying on packaged foods, as most of them contain either dairy or animal products. I make most things from scratch now and it definitely keeps sodium in check.

I also put away the salt shaker. It lives in the pantry not on the table, as I noticed my family salting all their food without actually tasting it first. The kids can have salt if they ask for it, but usually they don't.

Welcome, and good luck!

I completely agree. I'm vegan and prepare all my food from scratch, and I just had a look at my sodium (I don't usually track it) and mine is usually between 500-700mg.

one day it was 1639 thanks to some really good bean enchiladas and another at 1172 after some fresh supermarket soup, so pre-packaged meals/sauces really make all the difference.

good luck making changes to your health, OP. I wish you all the best!