Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lawncare11 wrote: »
    I use the eliptical machines and I don't weigh my food. Thx

There ya go, that's your problem. Weigh your food, don't go by what the machines say. Eat back only 50%.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you absolutely cannot rely on the calorie read outs on the machines. They are highly inaccurate. If you want to see for yourself, since you are using the elliptical currently, try the treadmill for the same amount of time and see what a difference that # will be!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Sorry, but you absolutely cannot rely on the calorie read outs on the machines. They are highly inaccurate. If you want to see for yourself, since you are using the elliptical currently, try the treadmill for the same amount of time and see what a difference that # will be!

This and use a heart rate monitor. HRM's will get you close to your actual calorie burn.
  • lawncare11
    lawncare11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

• lawncare11
    Options
    The tread mill versus the elliptical will always be a different calorie burn.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

That's not the issue. The issue is that you're relying on a wildly inaccurate number. It's recommended to only eat back 50% of what either the machines or MFP say due to overestimations.

And definitely purchase a food scale and start using it to weigh everything. If you aren't losing, you're eating more than you think.
  • lawncare11
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

That's not the issue. The issue is that you're relying on a wildly inaccurate number. It's recommended to only eat back 50% of what either the machines or MFP say due to overestimations.

And definitely purchase a food scale and start using it to weigh everything. If you aren't losing, you're eating more than you think.

• lawncare11
    Options
    ok, thank you for the advice.
  • arykah3luvsya
    arykah3luvsya Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Yes but they are two completely different machines allowing your body different movements. Of course they are different.
  • arykah3luvsya
    arykah3luvsya Posts: 14 Member
    Options

There ya go, that's your problem. Weigh your food, don't go by what the machines say. Eat back only 50%.[/quote]

What kind of scale do you recommend to weigh? Right now I just have a cheap standard, not digital, scale. Also, do you recommend a HTC to count cals burned on elliptical? If so, do you have a preference in HRMs? If no HRM, would you just count half the calories the machine said you burned (for ex: elliptical for 35 mins says I burned 565, but I always just log 400) and then you eat only 200 cals back? Thanks for your advice!