Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hey Everybody,

I wanted your opinion on the heart rate monitors you are currently using and how it is working for you. I am in the process of searching for a new HRM. I am currently using Polar F4 with a transmitter and watch. I have already replaced the transmitter once and the watch is seems to burn through batteries. Also, the transmitter bands tends to shift doing my workouts and my HR reads 00. I need an upgrade, BAD!

I have my eye on the Fitbit Charge HR which hasn't been released yet. What I am looking for is:
  • HRM, not just counting calories
  • Waterproof (submerged with doing Aqua Zumba)
  • Step counter
  • Bluetooth
  • Compatibility with other apps

Let me know if there are other products that have these features.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 15 is part of a good stable of devices and gives you GPS tracking as well.

Vivofit or Vivosmart without the GPS tracking
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What is your budget?
    Are you wanting an all day device or something just for your exercises? What types of exercise do you do?
    The above mentioned Forerunner 15 is a good suggestion.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Mostly use the one that came with my garmin forerunner 110 (HRM version) as I use it for running (in conjunction with the GPS watch). Works pretty well once I moisten it or give it a few minutes (to stop sensing my shirt brushing against it).

Still, I think the forerunner 210 bundle (refurbished - next model up) w. the heart rate monitor is on sale for $85 at walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-Refurbished-Forerunner-210HRM-GPS-Fitness-Watch-with-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Black/28455462

I also use one of the cheap $35 timex ones when I go to the gym as most machines will pick it up and show me my heart rate on the display.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4VCIOA/

Neither are bluetooth or do step counting (although the garmin is ANT+ so my phone can pick it up w. the mapmyrun/mapmyride apps, and my phone takes care of steps, etc).
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm bookmarking this because I'm looking for the same thing myself.

I haven't found a good replacement for the polarFT4 while in the water. The garmin that is suggested looks tempting but Garmin's HRM does not work properly while in water. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B83a2a020-6ade-11dd-436f-000000000000%7D

Are you unsnapping the sensor off the strap and storing them separately when you finish? I've heard that prolongs it's battery life.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey Everybody,

I wanted your opinion on the heart rate monitors you are currently using and how it is working for you. I am in the process of searching for a new HRM. I am currently using Polar F4 with a transmitter and watch. I have already replaced the transmitter once and the watch is seems to burn through batteries. Also, the transmitter bands tends to shift doing my workouts and my HR reads 00. I need an upgrade, BAD!

I have my eye on the Fitbit Charge HR which hasn't been released yet. What I am looking for is:
    • HRM, not just counting calories
    • Waterproof (submerged with doing Aqua Zumba)
    • Step counter
    • Bluetooth
    • Compatibility with other apps

Let me know if there are other products that have these features.

I don't know what is out there that may have what you are looking for but I just wanted to note that "waterproof" does not mean "works in water", it simply means that you can wear it in the water. As someone noted above, most (not sure if all) Garmins do not transmit HR signals in water so you don't get a read, but some of the watches and HRMs are "waterproof".
  • DirtyForWeeks
    DirtyForWeeks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Garmin vivofit with heart rate monitor and have been loving it. It runs off a watch battery so you don't have to worry about charging. It's been fairly accurate on its reports (On the PC. The mobile app has some serious bugs they are working on). It tracks heart rate(have to buy the one with the heart rate band) steps, calories burned, water proof and step goals.
    I do more weight lifting than running ( nearly all bands are made for running or cycling) but its not hard to convert the numbers.
    Hope this was helpful.
  • afhowell757
    afhowell757 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I got the Fitbit Charge HR. It is not waterproof meaning you can submerge it in water, but then again, I rarely take Aqua Zumba anymore. It's a great device. It even tracks your sleeping patterns which are horrible for me and the flights of stairs you take. My doctor told me don't believe the hype on calories burn as it is over exaggerated, meaning these devices were built for athletes with lower body fat %. Haven't found any claims on this yet but I am loving it. The app is very handy and updates when near my phone or laptop.