Here we go again... 50lbs to lose.

Options
Happy New Year everyone!

Last year at the same time my New Year resolution was to lose weight. I weighed 181.4lbs and I was feeling awful. I hired a Personal Trainer, started eating Paleo and I lost 22lbs easily in less than three months. I didn't 100% stick to it and I had my ups and downs, so I was very pleased with myself. Then my final exams started, I didn't have much time and fell into my old eating pattern. Long story short: Today one year one I am not one lbs lighter, but in fact nearly 10lbs heavier. This really can't not happen again in 2016! :(

I just moved to Istanbul from London for work and here my life is a bit more relaxed. I work less hours and I have staff at home, so I don't need to worry about cooking meals for myself, cleaning, doing my laundry and so on. Gives me more time to focus on my weight loss and I can also go and train with a Personal Trainer at the gym. I am just recovering from being ill and as soon as I have taken my last dose of antibiotics I am off to buy myself new trainers and sport clothes.

I am insulin-resistant and I am taking Metformin 500mg three times a day. The only way I lose weight is to cut out anything that turns into glucose, so I am giving up sugar and carbs and focus on a diet high in protein. Instead of doing it on my own, I would love to meet others who would like to lose weight for motivation and staying on track.

Come on, let's make this year our year!

Replies

• LadyVengeance13
    LadyVengeance13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am looking for 2015 to be the year where i finally shed those kilos and keep them off! I've been going to the gym four times a week the past month. Still not eating the best, but far from as bad as I use to be. Looking for others who are after similar goals for motivation too :]
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Happy New years, I'm in.
  • BeckiSwim19
    BeckiSwim19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple of tips that may help you start to lose the weight, and it doesn't take much money of effort at all :)

1) Before you go to bed at night make a simple water drink. 1 lemon, half a cucumber and a handful of mint leaves. Then fill your bottle with water and leave it in the fridge over night. Half a bottle of this every morning is both refreshing and aids weight loss.

2) When driving to the supermarket or shops, have you noticed the spaces further away are usually free? Those are the spaces reserved for people who want to live longer and have a better quality of life. Walking and carrying shopping burns calories.

3) If you want to take the stairs but to start with its too difficult, why not get the elevator to the top floor and walk down the stairs instead? Or walk part way as far as you can and then get the lift for the remaining floors?

Just a couple of ideas that may help you start to shed those unwanted pounds :) hope this helps!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've got a couple of tips that may help you start to lose the weight, and it doesn't take much money of effort at all :)

1) Before you go to bed at night make a simple water drink. 1 lemon, half a cucumber and a handful of mint leaves. Then fill your bottle with water and leave it in the fridge over night. Half a bottle of this every morning is both refreshing and aids weight loss.

2) When driving to the supermarket or shops, have you noticed the spaces further away are usually free? Those are the spaces reserved for people who want to live longer and have a better quality of life. Walking and carrying shopping burns calories.

3) If you want to take the stairs but to start with its too difficult, why not get the elevator to the top floor and walk down the stairs instead? Or walk part way as far as you can and then get the lift for the remaining floors?

Just a couple of ideas that may help you start to shed those unwanted pounds :) hope this helps!

1) it's good to drink lots of water and if you like the taste this is worthwhile, but the addition of the flavours has no specific benefit in weight loss

2 and 3) excellent advice to move more naturally ...Istanbul is a very different city I hope you have lots of fun exploring
  • acec00p
    acec00p Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise Becki
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weight loss! Must be lovely having someone to clean and cook for you! I'm going back to work in March probably after maternity leave, and I'm contemplating getting a cleaner. With 3 young kids, a shift working husband and a planning and marking load as a teacher, something has to give!

I was at my ideal weight in 2013, and a UK size 10/12 (US 6/8) but I got pregnant and gained weight, as I always do in pregnancy. My baby is 8 months old today and I have 35lbs to go. I'm a UK14 now so I think I'll be smaller this time if I get to pre-preg weight. I do a lot more strength training now.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I am right here with you too!!! I want to try Paleo, did you like it? I am getting back on track too.
  • rw734
    rw734 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. Here we go again.. but at least we're all making the changes we need to and i don't know about you guys but this is the last time I'm starting over. :)
  • Thebetterme6
    Thebetterme6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi and happy new year!! I am in the same boat as you with 50 lbs to lose. This is my second serious attempt to shed the weight. I had good success with myfitnesspal about 2 years and lost around 15 pounds. I'm determined to make this time my time and take it day by day. Good luck to everyone!
  • Numara
    Numara Posts: 3
    Options
    Same, same here...this is so happening...
  • raoufy
    raoufy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow. Love this app. Didn't realise how much junk I was eating. No wonder I wasn't loosing any weight. Good luck with your weight loss.... remember, mind over matter.... control your intake and picture yourself in that lovely hot bikini on that beech. Let's make 2015 our year!
  • ddsteffen1
    Options
    Yep. I was down 10 pounds and 4 inches. Then, I don't know. I fell off the band wagon. So 2 pounds and 2 inches later. I got to get back on track. I can't beat myself up, but I know what to do. I stopped being aware of what I was eating and stopped keeping track. Thank God for the new year
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Me too!