breastfeeding moms

Options
How many calories should I eat?
I breastfeed my 15 month old and my toddler (yes we still breastfeeding and don't plan to stop yet lol ) I used to eat 1200 before I got pregnant and once I found out on my pregnancy I was eating between 1500-2000 my whole pregnancy and after having my baby I will get super hungry so I just didn't count no more calories and just started eating whatever I wanted so now that I want to lose weight again I want to start counting my calories again I know 1200 is too low so maybe I was thinking 1500?

Replies

• recbutterfly
    Options
    You need at least 300 additional calories overy your "normal". But be careful about counting calories. If you don't get enough, you won't produce enough. So I recommend you stick with that basal "weight maintanace" number then add 200 calories. Stay well hydrated. While getting your body back is important, feeding baby right is the priority. Breastfeeding does sooo much for both of you. Btw... I'm an ob/gyn breastfeeding my second. I'm 10 Mos out from delivery and am just now resuming mfp now that she's eating solids. And refusing most baby food. Also... the typical calorie count for human breastfeed milk
  • recbutterfly
    Options
    The typical calorie count for human breastmilk is 20 calories per 1 ounce. Most providers advise against strict calorie counting while breastfeed feeding... it's very hard to do. You can only guesstimate. Remember the priority is healthy mom and baby. Baby doesn't care about mom's shape. My basal is 1570 for non lactating women. But I am targeting 1600 to ease back in and to try not to mess up my production. If you calorie restrict, then you will dry up. Also... avoid mint. It will mess with your milk supply.