Y use protein?

Options
Helly86
Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
Heya,
Just wondered why people use protein shakes?
Is it for weight loss? A meal replacement? Only after workouts?
I know that fit people use them and I would like to too!
Thanks for any help, I'm v clueless!
Helen xx

Replies

• cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I use them to replace a meal for weightloss but also because doing strength training takes protein.
  • vetsnatural
    vetsnatural Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Very interesting.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I use them for a quick muscle recovery after my workouts.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    recovery
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You need protein to build & repair muscle tissue. It's most common to use a whey protein post workout to help the muscles start to repair as soon as possible. Whey is the fastest absorbing protein; that's why it's most common. I also use Whey protein throughout the day to help meet my protein goal without having to add fat & carbs. Look for a whey protein that is low in sugar.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i dont use them , call me Old Fashioned, but i prefer real food!

I do eat plenty of protein!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I use it for additional protein to my diet. I try to take in at least 100 grams of protein a day. It's hard for me to reach that amount without additional unwanted carbs and fats without a quality protein shake. I use whey protein usually after my morning workouts. It doesn't really replace a meal for me because of the amount of calories I have to take in a day.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I do them because I work out and need the protein for my muscles. I just don't eat enough protein on my own. I use the Jillian Michaels one, one scoop in a glass of milk every morning with some fruit or something like that.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    i use them because i hate that full feeling you get from food plus it fast to make and it works for my lifestyle.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Recovery, and I'm veg. I use it to make up protein deficits in my diet.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Protein= muscle. Your body needs protein to build, maintain and repair muscle. Muscle burns fat. Enough said lol
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Protein= muscle. Your body needs protein to build, maintain and repair muscle. Muscle burns fat. Enough said lol

ditto
  • Helly86
    Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cool,
    So its worth having some after my workouts and it won't cut into my calories too much?
    Glad I finally know!! Cheers xx
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started with them because I'm trying to reduce my body fat % and am doing strength training. Was told I needed to increase my protein. But I found an added bonus! I'm a chocoholic and I love ice cream. I take the chocolate protein shake and add a cup of ice and put it in the blender. I then eat it with a spoon like ice cream. It has taken away all my cravings for chocolate! I love the stuff. It makes so much that I put 1/2 in a cup and eat it like a milk shake and the other half in the freezer. I eat that half later frozen. Feels like I'm eating chocolate ice cream all day. I love the stuff.