Hoping to drop 30 lbs in 6 months and be healthier

Options
I want to avoid type 2 diabetes and be able to keep up with my kids

Replies

• amy_huckaba
    amy_huckaba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    seems like a very good goal. Just keep logging your calories. Good Luck!
  • staceybuchanon
    staceybuchanon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Log accurately, faithfully and you're good to go!! Best wishes :)
  • SILENTxMURDER
    Options
    Good luck! You got this!
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    i want to do the same :) lets do this!
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Logging daily is a good start. Also spend a minimum of 30 minutes in purposeful exercise daily.
  • HappilyRubina
    HappilyRubina Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My goals are similar. Let's do this. Log every bite and get in whatever exercise you can. :)
  • wennertara
    Options
    Lets do this!
  • staceybuchanon
    Options
    I am a 45 year old Kindergarten teacher and mom of 3 girls so it's going to be a challenge to fit exercise in but I'm determined to do this!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you're only 30 lb from a healthy weight, losing more than 1 lb a week is probably a little bit ambitious. Doable, but a struggle. 0.5 lb would be more realistic. I know it's slow & frustrating, but it's more sustainable and you're making progress.

Here's a blog post I did with links to useful info for newbies, including the famous sexypants thread. If you read nothing else, read sexypants.
    There's also info on goal setting, logging accurately, motivation & encouragement, etc.

Also, the CDC says:
    "Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

It's easier to control calories in than to burn them once you've eaten too much.
    Find a healthy goal weight based on BMI, eat 10x that in calories, and you should lose weight to get there. (If you're stuck at the same weight for several weeks, drop 50 calories & wait a few weeks to see if you start losing again. At least you're not gaining! Don't go below 1200 cal/day unless you're very short or your doctor says it's OK for you.)
    Exercise is a bonus to losing weight.

51637601.png
  • ALG9905
    ALG9905 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 34 years old mother of 3 and wife of 1 :). I have been 30lbs over my goal for 9 years. Last year it crept up to 40lbs over my goal. My plan is to get my weight down by my 35th birthday in May. Thanks for being here. Let's do this!
  • staceybuchanon
    Options
    Good luck! Lots of busy moms on here?
  • srm81811
    srm81811 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just starting again weighing in AT 210 second time around lost about 30 lbs first time .. but i am doing it for long term care...
  • savisue
    Options
    I'm looking to do about the same - maybe more like 8 months, but still at least 30 pounds. If anyone is interested, would love to become friends to motivate each other!
  • L8dyJ
    L8dyJ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Same here as well as get off med's for good. Feel free to add me. I enjoy offering support.
  • Aphroditewannabe
    Aphroditewannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm right around the same goals as a lot of you. If anyone wants to add me
  • lamclarke
    Options
    savisue wrote: »
    I'm looking to do about the same - maybe more like 8 months, but still at least 30 pounds. If anyone is interested, would love to become friends to motivate each other!
    savisue wrote: »

• lamclarke
    Options
    Me too. Starting over again with 30 to lose before high school reunion this summer and with a goal to be able to run every day without injury. :-) I'm made for more. Anyone else?