Heart Rate Monitor: What to get and how to use

Options
Hey there MFP..pals. lol

I am looking to get a HRM and have been doing research for the last 3-4 days and can't figure out what to get. :/

With strap, without strap, spend a small fortune, calorie counter...UGH

I have a Fitbit Flex and love it. The only thing is when I am working out (p90x3) I would like to know my HR so I can accurately record my calories burned. I don't really care about anything else than that. Don't need the time, distance, blah blah blah...just want to set it to record my HR during the time I am working out.

And I don't want to spend more than $20.

I am living a pipe dream?? HELP!!

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    A decent HRM is going to cost you at least $100. I have a Fitbit Flex but use a Polar FT4 during exercise so I can get the most accurate calorie burn. I highly recommend looking into it. It's worth it!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A decent HRM is going to cost you at least $100 $60. I have a Fitbit Flex but use a Polar FT4 during exercise so I can get the most accurate calorie burn. I highly recommend looking into it. It's worth it!

Look at something like the Polar FT4. You can get them for $50 - $60.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dkeener_81 wrote: »
    The only thing is when I am working out (p90x3) I would like to know my HR so I can accurately record my calories burned. I don't really care about anything else than that

An HRM won't give you that, particularly at the price point you're talking about.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A decent HRM is going to cost you at least $100. it!

That's not true.

The Polar FT7 was my first HRM and I think it was like $75.00. It worked great. the Polar FT4 is even cheaper I believe.

*Edit: FT7 - $69.87 to be exact. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT7-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B00NOLTQ2U

FT4 - $50.75 http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1419975605&sr=1-1&keywords=polar+ft4

The reviews speak for themselves.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    sm1zzle wrote: »

That's not true.

The Polar FT7 was my first HRM and I think it was like $75.00. It worked great. the Polar FT4 is even cheaper I believe.

*Edit: FT7 - $69.87 to be exact. http://www.amazon.com/Polar-FT7-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B00NOLTQ2U

FT4 - $50.75 http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1419975605&sr=1-1&keywords=polar+ft4

Well, excuse me. All the Polars I've seen are at least $100, which is why I said that. I purchased mine for $100 at Dick's Sporting Goods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A lot of P90X3 is strength training so a HRM won't give you a very accurate calorie burn.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a $30 Polar watch/HR/Stop watch. Amazon. Batteries lasted about a year. Replaced at Walmart for $3.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    A decent HRM is going to cost you at least $100 $60. I have a Fitbit Flex but use a Polar FT4 during exercise so I can get the most accurate calorie burn. I highly recommend looking into it. It's worth it!

Oh they're cheap, but they're not going to give the originator what she's after; accurate calorie expenditure approximation for training that involves anaerobic effort.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options

That's not true.

Well, excuse me. All the Polars I've seen are at least $100, which is why I said that. I purchased mine for $100 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Not trying to be rude.
    She just needs to shop around and be sure to read product reviews.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

That's not true.

Not trying to be rude.
    She just needs to shop around and be sure to read product reviews.

I say if she can get it for $50-60 on Amazon rather than $100 at Dick's, buy it there!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    OP, just make sure you get one that has a strap. That one will give you the most accurate reading. I started with a Polar FT7, and then decided I wanted a step counter that had HRM capability, so I got a Garmin VivoFit. If you just want an HRM, then just buy a Polar FT4 or Polar FT7.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    one you might consider if the Polar Loop activity tracking and the Polar H7 hrm strap.. they link into one another.. one i am considering on getting.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Oh they're cheap, but they're not going to give the originator what she's after; accurate calorie expenditure approximation for training that involves anaerobic effort.

HRM don't calculate anaerobic effort. OP you should note that these are only a good measure for steady state aerobic workouts.
  • takumar
    takumar Posts: 42
    Options
    The Timex chest HRM's have been good value and reliable performers. I use it to try and stay above the 85% zone. HR and bar graph is my default view. The newer monitors have a snap off pod for safer strap washing.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    First of all heart rate straps are much more accurate than wrist monitors. Secondly, heart rate monitors only give you approximations of your calorie burn and never completely accurate results. Thirdly, heart rate monitors are useful for steady state cardio exercises such as running, walking...and much less useful for e.g. weight training.

Further, if you can invest in a device that is able to calculate your VO2 Max, as quite a few multisportswatches can do, the results get more accurate.

One of the cheapest ways, albeit no VO2 max calculation is to download the free Polar Beat app to your phone (IOS only, unfortunately) and to buy the Polar H7 heart rate monitor, which you can link to this app. Means though you have to take your phone with you when working out.

I would have a close look at the Polar M400 which is a new sports watch from Polar that comes highly recommended (around $200 though). Google dcrainmaker and look for his review.

Best of luck and happy new year!
    Stef.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the Polar FT7. I love mine! Also got it at Amazon. I use it during Zumba, kickboxing, and swimming.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    SKME2013 wrote: »
    First of all heart rate straps are much more accurate than wrist monitors.

Stef.

Not necessarily.