post workout food

cassiex10
cassiex10 Posts: 40
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm sure this has been answered before, but what are some foods that are good to eat after a workout?

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Anything high in protein.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    I always have a whey protein shake, or a protein bar. I make sure I'm always stocked up :)
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Depends on the type of workout. Most of my exercise is running and I make a recovery drink for all runs over about 10 miles. It includes fruit juice/fruit, dextrose, protein. It helps in the recovery, by providing different types of carbohydrates as well as protein.
  • spencer72
    spencer72 Posts: 18
    Post workout nutrition is right up there with breakfast, a meal not to be missed!

Get in a good dose of protein and carbs to get your body the fuel needed to repair those sore muscles.

I usually do a whey/peanut butter/banana/oatmeal shake with milk and walnuts, some other good options are eggs, meat, brown rice...

Just as long as it's not made by Hostess or Little Debbie!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    I do a strawberry protein smoothie with water and ice AWESOME!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Chocolate milk. I kid you not. It's the perfect carb:protein ratio, and who wouldn't love a reason to have chocolate milk? Just keep it low fat and in proper portion. No need to down a half gallon o'milk :laugh:
  • Barrettmomof3
    Barrettmomof3 Posts: 140 Member
    I agree, High protein.

Protein Shake or Bar
    Turkey sandwich
    Peanut butter and crackers
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    I work out in the evening, so it's usually a whey protein shake within the "magic hour" and then dinner following. Get that protein in while it has the most benefit.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Choclate milk!

I loved the ready mixed versions as they're handy to keep in the car/ fridge/ gym bag, but I know other people make their own to their precise requirements.

It has the right balance of carbs and proteins especially after a very strength based workout.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    LOL glad Melanie posted as well. It helps to have backup :D
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Post workout nutrition is right up there with breakfast, a meal not to be missed!

Get in a good dose of protein and carbs to get your body the fuel needed to repair those sore muscles.

I usually do a whey/peanut butter/banana/oatmeal shake with milk and walnuts, some other good options are eggs, meat, brown rice...

Just as long as it's not made by Hostess or Little Debbie!

Wow, this sounds good! Can you share the measurements and cals for this??
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    I normally have a protein shake, then a granola bar or a peanut butter (no jelly) sandwich an hour or so after that. It helps so I don't feel as worn out after my workout!
  • JimmySaunders
    JimmySaunders Posts: 7 Member
    Post Workout is the most important meal of the day (after breakfast of course). Your body is craving for foods as you have just depleted all of your glycogen stores from your workout.

You need to make sure that you have a 2:1 or even 3:1 ratio of high gi carbohydrate and protein (preferably whey protein). The reason for this is because both hi gi carbs and whey protein are fast acting nutrients, supplying your body with them in a matter of minutes. One thing you must avoid in this meal is fat, as fat slows the digestion of the meal, which is effectively slowing the process of the high gi carbs and protein, and starving your body of the nutrients its craving.

Hope this has helped.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Any easily ingested Protein will help with muscle cell replenishing and rebuilding, while you'll want some carb content as well in order to replenish the glycogen (energy) stores in the body from the workout.

Studies have shown however that the optimal time for ingestion/absorbtion is within 30 minutes of your workout, which is what makes protein powers quite convenient.

Chocolate Milk has also shown similar properties if it's easily accessible within the 30 minute window.

I personally do both and mix my protein with milk in a shaker bottle so it's ready for me when I'm done at the gym. That being said, I workout in the early morning so it's not an issue leaving my shaker bottle in the car for when I'm done. I wouldn't recommend someone who's working out mid afternoon in a hot climate to do the same....especially with milk. :-)
  • cassiex10
    cassiex10 Posts: 40
    Thanks everyone. Such a big help for sure :)
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Cliff bars cliff bars cliff bars! And a piece of fruit. For me, anyway. Just not apples--they're too sweet after a workout for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.