Fitbit Flex + HRM with Insanity Max 30?

I got a Fitbit Flex for Christmas and I'm a little confused with the calorie numbers I'm getting. When I do Insanity Max 30, should I take off the Fitbit and only wear my HRM since it doesn't count non-step exercise? When I do that, though, my calorie adjustment changes to -250 (or whatever I burn during the workout). Would it be best to wear both and then log the time I start exercising so Fitbit can adjust the calories?

Also, I work at a grocery store bagging groceries, so my arms are always moving even if my legs aren't. The Fitbit counts those arm movements as steps. Would it be more effective to just keep the bracelet in my pocket at work? I already set it to be less sensitive and changed my settings to the dominant hand even though it's on my non-dominant one but it still feels like it's overestimating my calories burned - it gave me an extra 500 calories for working a 5.5 hour shift, for example.

Any tips or advice would definitely be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    There are almost daily threads on the limitations of HRMs for estimating calories for intermittent or anaerobic exercise. Search and you'll find your answer.
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    There are almost daily threads on the limitations of HRMs for estimating calories for intermittent or anaerobic exercise. Search and you'll find your answer.

I know a HRM isn't completely accurate, but surely it's better than the Fitbit. My question was about whether I should wear both or one/how to log it to get the most accurate calorie estimate for the day.
  • lorilackey
    lorilackey Posts: 1 Member
    I use myfitnesspal, runtastic and fitbit, all tied in together. It seems to adjust calories appropriately doing it this way. There will be random times that I show a deficit until they catch up with eachother
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    lorilackey wrote: »
    I use myfitnesspal, runtastic and fitbit, all tied in together. It seems to adjust calories appropriately doing it this way. There will be random times that I show a deficit until they catch up with eachother

So even when MFP negates the calories I just burned working out I should just leave it?

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    KimMc60 wrote: »
    Any tips or advice would definitely be appreciated! Thanks!

Don't use the HRM for training as it's overestimating your calorie expenditure anyway.

It also sounds like you need to trade your Flex for a One or something that you could clip to your belt or similar.