Your Number One tip to get me going?

Options
Hi, I'm a newbie since today, so Happy New Year to everyone! I'm from Bristol, UK, and certainly need all the motivational friends I can get. I would like to lose 30 lbs by end-April 2015. When I retired I set up my own little business making cupcakes and wedding cakes and and I'm finding it really difficult stop nibbling (I call it 'tasting') while I'm baking. And of course I keep making excuses not to exercise. Getting desperate now, so what's the Number One thing that will get me going - and keep me on the right track?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything that goes into your mouth.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Eat less move nore
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    kayjaytwo wrote: »
    and and I'm finding it really difficult stop nibbling And of course I keep making excuses not to exercise.

This and this
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Stop making excuses.
  • xbted
    xbted Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After a while, the mere sight of cupcakes will make you want to vomit. I know, my first job was at a bakery and 20 years later, I still can't eat donuts. However, until you build up your pastry immunity, I'd say take a little step outside when you're feeling tempted. If you're a compulsive taster like I was, get one of those surgical face masks, and you'll realize that you're about to eat something when you pull it down to have a nibble (this doesn't work so well if you're working in the open, people will think you have Ebola or something.) But seriously one other thing- orange juice (or grapefruit juice.) Everything tastes terrible after drinking orange juice, so sip some every now and then.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Start by logging everything that goes into your mouth.

I would second this. And if possible try to log the nibbles. Making food for others some testing may be necessary but you need to limit it and log it.
  • lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Buy a cheap digital scale and weigh your food.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself for having a bad day. No one is perfect. Don't let the bad days add up, if you have a bad one, move on and start the next day strong. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week, month, etc.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Stop waiting for tips on how to get moving? Sometimes you just have to do it. Most days, I have to convince myself to go work out, or to not nibble on xxx. It's totally possible to do. Make sure your workouts are scheduled in and be non-negotiable about it (for the most part). Limit your ready access to problem snacks. Make sure you aren't depriving yourself to such a degree that it's making adherence difficult. It's better to make slow progress than no progress, after all.
  • _jasoncrawley
    Options
    Find a Balance.There is nothing wrong with you tasting whilst baking, but remember consuming too much is only adding unnecessary calories to your daily target. If you over eat then there has to be a sacrifice later on in the day as to not exceed your target .
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything you consume.
  • MissDeAnn
    MissDeAnn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Pick workouts you enjoy, pace yourself, eat healthy, drink a lot of water, and of course enjoy the journey.
  • karaharrison2012
    karaharrison2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Do not drink your calories!
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you enjoy and do it. Don't feel pressured to lift or run if you prefer dancing. Find a fun activity that you'll enjoy and you feel happier about doing it.
  • kayjaytwo
    kayjaytwo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so surprised at the amount of advice and encouragement I've received. You are a truly helpful and kind bunch of people, and I am sure that with the support I receive from My Fitness Pals I will reach - and stay at - my goal. THANK YOU!