Need advice for rest days

Options
So I'm on week 3 of C25K. I haven't run in 15+ years, and plan to run a 5K in April. I've been going to the gym for the last 6 months regularly, maybe 3-4 days/week but would like to increase it to 5-6.

I have 35 lbs to go toward my first weight goal.

What kinds of activities can I do on my rest days from running? I don't want to overdo it and hurt myself (I have problems in my knees and shins). The obvious choice is strength training, but I also need activities that will burn calories. Can I walk? Elliptical? Bike?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Strength training burns calories. Search for strength training in the cardio option of MFP if you want a number for your tracker.

Other than strength training, I would say that something like walking or biking would be great. Maybe swimming too. Since you have knee problems I'd keep it low impact until your body is more used to running again.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Running works primarily the lower body. So maybe doing something physical for upper body...weight training, rock climbing, rowing...
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find I recover faster and have better runs if I swim on rest days. I'm sure it's different for everyone, so do some exploring and find the most appealing thing that works for you.