Hungry Girl advice

Options
This is from a Hungry Girl email I just got, some good advice in here:

I was wondering if there are a handful of food-related rules that you live by. If so, what are they? Thanks!

Alexa aWonderin'

Hi Alexa,
I actually get asked this question a LOT, so I've had plenty of time to think about it and narrow down my list to FIVE important rules. Here they are...
1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses. Click here for some of my favorite emergency snacks.

Replies

• SweetChange82
    SweetChange82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 rule, thanks for posting this...soo helpful!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for posting :smile:
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 rule too. Thanks for posting.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    All excellent points - I especially advocate points 3 and 4. Thanks for sharing!
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post. I've recently discovered Hungry Girl. I love the site -- so much good information there.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I live by the "dont drink your calories" rule! Glass of regular coke, sooooooooooo not worth it!! 120 cals! Give me a low cal chocolate bar instead anyday!!!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Love the 80/20 rule. Great advice, thanks for posting!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I like the 80/20 rule.

If you have 3 meals a day that = 21 meals per week and means 3/4 of those meals doesn't have to be super healthy.

I try to keep my meals as healthy as possible but wont beat myself up for having a 600 cal dinner tonight (I am still within my daily calorie allowance)
  • adriannenan
    adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Love this, these are the rules i live by!most of the time!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    So very thanking you! food for thought. excuse the pun!
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    doesnt make me feel as bad having a cheeky chinese on a friday night!!! but i always compensate by eating extra healthily during the day and still keeping under my calorie goal!
  • ceedee76
    ceedee76 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great advice! I love Hungry Girl!