high reps low weight vs. low reps high weight?

Options
Which is more effective, or which is better for what, and go.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I guess to answer I would have to ask, more effective at what?

Some good reads on weights, set, reps, volume.

lookgreatnaked.com/blog/light-load-training-can-it-build-muscle/
    theissnscoop.com/1-vs-3-vs-5-vs-100-sets/
  • scruff_farrier
    scruff_farrier Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, basically what I was looking for. I just wanted to hear different opinions good or bad, and pros and con's on either. I have always had pounded in my head light weight high reps. But recently read that it truthfully doesn't matter. So that was my question I guess. I just chose poor wording.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is another read: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/07/19/high-reps-vs-low-reps/

It comes down to what you are looking for. Below is a good study too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24714538
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Lower reps and higher weight is for strength. Higher rep range is hypertrophy. Ideally you should include both in your workouts. Compound lifts focus on heavy weight and lower rep ranges. Isolation/accessory go for higher rep ranges.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks, basically what I was looking for. I just wanted to hear different opinions good or bad, and pros and con's on either. I have always had pounded in my head light weight high reps. But recently read that it truthfully doesn't matter. So that was my question I guess. I just chose poor wording.

Are you talking about increasing mass, strength, maintenance of muscle or what?
  • scruff_farrier
    Options
    For arguments sake, let's say weight loss. But I have always heard heavy weight low reps or lifting till failure is horrible. Which is why I am curious and asking about it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    For arguments sake, let's say weight loss. But I have always heard heavy weight low reps or lifting till failure is horrible. Which is why I am curious and asking about it.

Both methods are acceptable for fat loss and even muscle gains. For the most part, as long as your are doing compound progressive lifts, you will see a benefit. The only downside to hypertrophy style training is your won't strength gains like you would with a lower rep/higher weight program

• scruff_farrier
    Options
    Ok, so it would be perfectly acceptable to use a high weight low rep, for fat loss and also I will see decent strength gains at the same time?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Ok, so it would be perfectly acceptable to use a high weight low rep, for fat loss and also I will see decent strength gains at the same time?

Both methods are perfectly acceptable. You will just see more strength when you increase weight and lower reps.

• tgallino524
    tgallino524 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Something I enjoy doing is 1 minute of cardio in between each set. For example I would choose a slightly lighter weight than what I would do for a 3 x 10

ie.) 1 set of 10 Bench Press (x lbs)
    1 minute of 100% cardio (high knees, jog in place, jump rope, kettle/dumbbell swing etc)

-Try to make the switch as smooth as possible, not resting in transition. (A second to catch breath is fine)

-Apply this to any exercise

I took this concept from Jim Stoppani's "Shortcut to Shred"
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred.html
  • scruff_farrier
    Options
    Ok, its somthing to try. I just want to get a few different schools of thought from experience and not from just random internet articles.
  • scruff_farrier
    edited January 2015
    Options

Something I enjoy doing is 1 minute of cardio in between each set. For example I would choose a slightly lighter weight than what I would do for a 3 x 10

1 minute of 100% cardio (high knees, jog in place, jump rope, kettle/dumbbell swing etc)

-Try to make the switch as smooth as possible, not resting in transition. (A second to catch breath is fine)

This is actually interesting, something else I have always been told is you HAVE to rest in between sets, intriguing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've done low rep high weight (Stronglifts 5x5) as well as programs with a mixture of both. I've had more success aesthetically while doing a mixture of both.

Edited to add, I have had success with both, just feel like I personally saw more fat loss with the mixture of both!
  • scruff_farrier
    Options
    Rest, not read sorry. Don't know how to edit the posts yet.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Rest, not read sorry. Don't know how to edit the posts yet.

There should be a little wheel in the right upper corner of your post that you can hit the edit button (you get an hour to do so) but I edited your post for you.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

This is actually interesting, something else I have always been told is you HAVE to rest in between sets, intriguing.

Again it really depends on your goals. If your goal is more for strength then taking enough rest to complete the next set is what is optimal. Trying to turn your weightlifting into cardio is probably not optimal for most people that either want strength or hypertorphy. Resting long enough to recover for the next set would be more important.

Nothing wrong with circuit training though if that fits your goals.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am with mustgetmuscle on this one. My reading of the current evidence is that the important thing -- to get effective training [fat loss and muscle building] -- is that you go to failure when lifting. Whether that is high reps to failure, or lower reps/heavier weight, to failure is less relevant. Crossfit people get very strong doing really high numbers of reps. I recent read where Arnold and the other serious lifters of his time used to use a rep scheme of 15-12-8-8-6, or something like that, at times, when doing squats. They obviously thought that was effective for building muscle and strength.
    As far as rest is concerned, I always thought that you wait until your heart rate comes down again. Then jump back at it. Otherwise, you could be in the gym for hours! Plus, it is easier to get back to failure that way.
  • scruff_farrier
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    I am with mustgetmuscle on this one. My reading of the current evidence is that the important thing -- to get effective training [fat loss and muscle building] -- is that you go to failure when lifting. Whether that is high reps to failure, or lower reps/heavier weight, to failure is less relevant. Crossfit people get very strong doing really high numbers of reps. I recent read where Arnold and the other serious lifters of his time used to use a rep scheme of 15-12-8-8-6, or something like that, at times, when doing squats. They obviously thought that was effective for building muscle and strength.
    As far as rest is concerned, I always thought that you wait until your heart rate comes down again. Then jump back at it. Otherwise, you could be in the gym for hours! Plus, it is easier to get back to failure that way.

This is a interesting why to look it it. See my problem has always been. I have my heart rate up from cardio. Then when I hit the free weights it drops. It seems difficult for me to get a raised heart rate while lifting. Seems from reading your experience I'm simply lifting to light. This will definitely change my workout.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What I meant with the heart rate was: You do a set. You finish. You are breathing heavy and your heart is thumping. So, you wait until your heart rate drops back down to normal -- usually just one to two minutes. Then you jump on the next set.
  • scruff_farrier
    Options
    With my job, we have days were we sit for not kidding 14 hours straight, then we also have days that we basically strength training and do cardio for 14 hours straight(swinging sledge hammers, lifting large and heavy pieces of pipe.) The problem is, we never know what day will be what till I get to location. So in my head I never want to over so it in the hotel gym, whenI might or might not work like crazy. I know, now reading that your like....why not work out after then you know. Its a 16-17 hour day. I can get myself to work out when I wake up, a lot harder after the long day. Any one have insights? Haha.