Exercise calories: MFP vs. machine...

Options
Hi all,

Was wondering, when you do a workout and then log your exercise calories, do you go by what your machine (elliptical) says or what MFP says for the same exercise? MFP takes into account my weight but my elliptical machine does not. For example, MFP says I burn 463 cals doing 30 mins on the elliptical whereas my machine says I burn 295. That's a big difference! But the machine does not take into account my current weight while MFP does. What do you think? Thank you!!

Replies

• marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got by MFP. My elliptical say I can do 3 miles in 15 mins. haha I dont think so.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    The machine you ussually set what you weight is when you start on them. Either in cardio mode etc. So the machine will take into account your weight if you enter it in to start. Always go by what the HRM or machine you are using at the time. I believe what is entered into MFP are numbers others have used. I am not certain but pretty sure since my HRM and the website are WAY off.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always use the numbers from the machine. The treadmill I use does ask for weight and it is ALWAYS way less than what MFP says I'm burning. So, I go with the treadmill. I've noticed my pedometer is slightly lower than the treadmill - but it doesn't ask for my weight whereas the treadmill does. I personally feel like the machine knows what you've done (incline, resistance, speed, etc) and MFP is "guessing".
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I go by my elliptical machine. Mfp numbers seem too high.
  • MarkNH
    MarkNH Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go with the machine's results. I use an elllptical that allows me to enter my weight, so I'm hoping it's more accurate.

MFP numbers just seem to high to be real.
  • pstubby25
    pstubby25 Posts: 3
    Options
    Dont get hungup in numbers. When you step off machine your legs and body will tell you how hard the workout was. Are you losing weight? Personally I dont even enter that in MFP because it add to much stress and doubt to what Im doing . Calories and going to gym will take care of itself.