perspective on speed of weight loss

Options
I ran into a new book in which the author explains how she went from 230 to 140 which is exactly what I want to do. The blurb says it took her 2 years. Reading that I felt discouraged, "only" 45 lbs lost in a year? Am I delusional because I don't think that is enough?

I have a terrible history of yoyo dieting and giving up too quickly, usually after losing about 30 lbs. I really want it to be different this time and I think I need better perspective on how long this will take. (always assuming a steady weight loss, not fits and starts).

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long do you think it took you to gain that 90 pounds?
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Up to 2 pounds a week is considered safe, more if you are in the obese category. 45 pounds in a year is great too. It's better to lose half a pound a week and keep it off than 2 pounds a week and have it not be sustainable (as you know from yo-yo dieting). Make sustainable changes and see how fast works for you. Some people go too fast and then give up or binge. Some people don't see results fast enough and get discouraged. It's important you find a speed that you find rewarding enough to keep going but not so restrictive that you hate your life.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If you gained 45 lbs in a year, would you be discouraged that you didn't gain more because it's "only" 45 lbs? :wink:

Everyone's weight loss experience is going to be different. You don't know if she took breaks from dieting during that time, or what approach she used, or what obstacles she encountered. For some people, losing at a slower rate works well for them. They get to eat more food, it meshes with their lifestyle, and it helps them stick to their program. Other people prefer a more aggressive approach, and that works for them.

For someone with 75+ lbs to lose, a 2 lb per week loss is healthy and realistic. That amount will drop the closer you get to goal, and you might end up losing more than that in the beginning. If you really want to change your perspective, pick something other than time to focus on. Getting into a certain clothing size, hitting a milestone with exercise, running a race, hiking a trail - something that you can work towards and achieve through your hard work. Time is going to pass regardless of whether or not you lose weight, so don't gauge your success on time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds (248 to 193) in 2014. Could it have been more? Sure. But the big picture is I still have another 50-60 to go, and I know that's going to take me well into 2016 to lose.

Losing faster means more of a chance of losing muscle mass and depriving your body of key nutrients. There's also more of a chance of gaining the weight back once finished. So you can do it quickly and risk your health, or go slower and feel better in the end.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like that whole phrase, "It not the place, but the journey". You need the journey to figure out why you got to the place you are. It's not an easy one, but worth it.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Once you're there, will it matter how long it took you to get there? Plus, 45 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at. That's several clothing sizes for most people.

You're going to get to next year and the year after anyway, at least barring some tragedy. :) Wouldn't you rather be thin when the calendar turns to 2017? Think back to 2013. Doesn't it seem like yesterday? Don't look at it as two long years stretching out miserably before you. Really live your life every single one of those days, make the right food choices and you'll wind up where the rest of us wind up: at 2017. But a thin 2017.

And by the way, 45 lbs. a year is a slow rate of loss, especially starting out at a very heavy weight as the author must have, if she ended up losing a total of 90 lbs. ETA: Sorry, yes, I see reading back that she started at 230. That's less than a pound a week. I started out with 90 lbs. to lose too, have 70 to go and am losing 2 lbs. per week. You may have bigger losses in the beginning, and that's always encouraging and feels great. The author may have had bigger losses at her heaviest weight, slower as she got closer to goal, which many people do.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I get it, but I think for me in the past having focused too much on how long it takes was my downfall, i.e. if it didn't come off fast enough, it was too easy to get discouraged and just give up. This time around one of the things that is helping me is not worrying about how long it's going to take to lose 200+ pounds, but focusing on the general trend going downward. I've been averaging 8-10 pounds a month with some months as little as a few pounds. The reality is, if I'm showing a loss from month to month, I am happy. I will reach my goal eventually, as long as I keep doing what I'm doing. I also figure that if I take my time with it, it's more likely to stay off, which is what I want.

I got into my groove in mid-May and have lost over 60 pounds. I hope to lose about a hundred in 2015, but whatever the loss is will be a good thing. I'm done with yo-yoing and so I'm working on developing a way of eating that doesn't make me feel deprived so that it is sustainable for a lifetime. This also means that the loss is slower, but it's working.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When I started, the weight flew off. I lost so fast. I thought I'd be done so damn quickly. Ha! It slows down, lol.

I don't think two years is too long. It seems like a really long time when you're starting out, but once you're in the swing of it, it's just how you live, so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

If you remember that you have to change what you were doing before and that the change has to be permanent if you don't want to go back to where you were before...the two years is irrelevant. It's The Rest Of My Life, not "while I lose weight." I don't know if that makes it better or worse for you, lol.

I don't think of it as two years. Two years to get my weight off, maybe, it remains to be seen how long my 100-120 pounds will take. But, the new eating habits aren't for weight loss, they are to make myself healthier and there is no limit on that. :)
  • Xcsn
    Xcsn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could lose 90 pounds by november if you are consistent. Achieve a caloric deficit of 1,000 calories a day and you will be losing 2 pounds every week.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I do get a little bummed out by the slower losses sometimes, but I know in the end it doesn't matter how long it takes. I'm not stopping!

When I'm having thoughts of "only" losing 35 pounds in a year and a half, I go find something heavy and lug it around the house. I can't imagine having that weight back in my body!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I started MFP exactly 3 years ago today with a goal of losing 100lbs. I've "lost" 56lbs in that time, but really, I've lost 59lbs, gained 5, lost 6, gained 15, and lost another 12, and here I am.

I took intentional breaks, I took unintentional breaks, had bouts of illness where I lost 5lbs in 3 days, had some injuries where I wasn't active for months and gained weight. The most frustrating is re-losing weight that I had so diligently worked to lose just because I "didn't feel like tracking" anymore.

You may be anxious to get all the weight off when your motivation is high, but know that there will be times when you won't feel motivated at all, and that's not failing. You have to find out:

1. Why you were so quick to give up in past weight loss attempts (food choices too restrictive? not seeing progress fast enough?)
    2. What you can do differently this time.
  • heatherrunsfar
    Options
    It's recommended not to lose more than 1% of your body weight a week to preserve lean body mass and achieve lasting loss. That is not minimal, that is dedicated and focused consistently. Most of us will have some weeks where we take a step back or whatever.

Remember the important thing is consistency and health, not the speed.

45 lb in a year is still a lot. It's possible to lose more, but it's not what's important. A change of habits that's manageable so you don't quit and so you don't regain, is.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you...gave me just want I wanted, some perspective on this issue. It actually did take a long time to pile on the weight so it's not very fair to expect it to fall off just like that. To help with this I have been setting up mini goals for myself, most just an additional few pounds at a time, to give me regular opportunities to feel good about my efforts. I'm close to the minus 20 lbs mark and I feel good about that. Need to keep up that positive feeling.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are 52 weeks in a year. So, a goal of losing 52 lbs. in a year (at 1 lb. lost each week) seems very reasonable! If you set that goal for yourself and manage to lose more than that amount, say 1.5 lbs. a week (78 lbs. total in a year), that would be awesome, but setting reasonable goals helps to manage expectations. :smile:

I have less to lose, so I'm losing slower than 1 lb. a week, but I'm still very happy with my progress 190 days later! Don't be discouraged. Just get started!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I lost 47 pounds in my first year. I could have been more aggressive, but by losing about 1.1 pounds/week for the first six months, then slowing down, I had plenty of energy for being active and didn't have to worry about being hungry and crabby all the time. After the first three weeks, I was rarely bothered by hunger between meals, and by eating slowly and mindfully (and, of course, counting calories), I could leave the table satisfied while still meeting my goals.

You need to get into the mindset that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Otherwise, you're likely to regain the weight again once you reach your goal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I lost 52 lbs last year. This year I'm aiming at 10-15 pounds. Once you get closer to goal the weight loss slows down. On the upside, by that point you may find that your focus has changed from total weight to another goal (e.g., bodyfat, strength goals, etc.) so you don't think about how long it's taking as much.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you lose 45lb in a year, you will absolutely notice a difference in yourself. Even if it's not your goal, it's significant. Probably at least 2 sizes smaller, maybe more if you exercise as well.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I always want it to come off faster than it does. when I started, I banked on losing 2 pounds per week with the expectation I would hit my goal weight by end of Sept 2014 (total of 44 pounds). You have to be extremely disciplined to achieve that and I wasn't as disciplined as I would have liked and I am the only one to blame for that. I still had my indulgences (a beer on a patio, Starbucks, occasional dessert at dinner - i am an avid baker). That being said, I am 22lbs lighter than I was when I started and am half way there. You will have your ups and downs but as long as you stick w/ it, you will get there.
    -
    8931969.png
  • mtforrest07
    mtforrest07 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "People give up when they think of how far they still have to go instead of how far they have come". As long as you are losing any weight at all, consider it a blessing that you feel better than you did before. Don't think of your goal as 90 pounds because you're not even going to know how you'll feel when you hit that goal. Make small goals and rejoice in every pound that you lose :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've lost 66 pounds in eight months.

But, it's not a contest - the author of the book may have lost 45 pounds a year, but that doesn't mean you will. You might lose faster, or slower. It really depends on a number of factors - the biggest one being how committed you are.

I never had a time goal for my weight loss. I made small, manageable goals (lose 25 pounds, get under 200 pounds, get my BMI under 30, etc) so nothing felt too overwhelming.

I still have about 20 pounds to lose, but I have no idea how long that will take me. And that's okay.