What time of day do you run?

Options
I'm having the hardest time figuring a good time to run. I'm hungry in the morning and I don't want to run after I eat. At night, same thing. Run first, eat after? Snack first, run later?

Replies

• yogaveg
    yogaveg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i'm a college student so i've got a bit of a wacky schedule but normally i can run in the afternoons or right before my dinner. typically i'll have some sort of snack before like fruit or a granola bar and then a meal afterwards. i find if i wait about 30 minutes after i eat a snack then my body is ready to run
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I run at lunch. I start work really early and only have coffee and milk first thing in the morning. Around 10:30 I'm ready to eat real food, usually a bagel with some cheese and meat. After the run, I'll grab some fruits and a peanut butter bar.

I went to some trial and error process, but basically running while famished didn't work well for me. Also, running with a full stomach didn't feel pleasant. I suggest you go ahead and experiment a bit; you'll figure out what works best for you. Good luck!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    After dinner. I hate waking up early and I eat around 6-7, so I have plenty of time in the evening to get a workout in before bed.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a morning runner. I have a banana, or a piece of toast with peanut butter and slices of banana if it's later and then get ready and go. I find that I'm too tired in the afternoons and it feels like I'm running through mud.

eta I'm happy to walk or do other exercise anytime, not just in the mornings.

edit no 2 I actually used to do a quick 20 min run between evening exercise classes, which worked pretty well for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Normally, before work. if I can't do that (I have some insomnia issues) then I run at lunch. Luckily I have access to treadmills at work (and home) if the weather is bad.
    I try to do most work outs first thing. Except Pilates, which happens at noon. (I wish it was earlier, but oh well.)
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Morning is my best performance, one cup of coffee and a few sips of water is all I need for my 8 km runs. I have a physical job, so running at end of day is disastrous for me.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My best running happens in the late morning (after the diuretic effects of coffee, but before lunch), which is not always feasible with my weekday schedule. I usually "reward" myself with dinner after an evening run.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I run, which I'm not cleared to do for another month due to recouperating from a broken leg, I like the morning, first thing when I get up. Most of my group classes are later and I have to abide by their schedule.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Early morning or evening. Morning: light breakfast 60-90 mins pre-run, evening: snack 60 mins before run
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I run, which I'm not cleared to do for another month due to recouperating from a broken leg, I like the morning, first thing when I get up. Most of my group classes are later and I have to abide by their schedule.

Me too!!! I'm back to walking and did 4km yesterday, so was so excited! I'm 19 weeks since surgery, how far are you?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Early morning. I usually just drink a little water and then am out the door by 4:30am and back by 5:30. NEVER thought I'd be getting up that early to exercise. I'm a teacher so when school is out I don't set the alarm. However, I find if I sleep in too late, I am too hungry to run and don't do as well.

Running after work never works for me. IDK - too tired, too hungry and easy to put it off. Plus there is still grading and work to do at home. On the days I run before work I feel great. I find I hate the days I don't run, but I am only six months into running and need recovery days.

Experiment! You have to make the time. You won't regret it!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm not back yet from some overuse problems, but I would run in the afternoons because my schedule allowed it. But when I could run in the morning, I'd usually eat well enough before bed (but some people can't do that).
  • NitoMark
    Options
    Morning. I usually try to run a quick mile or two around my neighborhood before I start my routine of breakfast and getting ready for work. I will have some fat free milk, water, or orange juice before I head out. No coffee until I get back home. The nice thing about this is that it is FINISHED; and even if I get lazy and don't exercise again that day, I feel like I accomplished something healthy.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning before I eat or do anything. Running in the evenings left me extremely tired and running after I've eaten caused stomach cramping.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Always in the morning. I run outside Tuesdays and Thursdays Spring and Summer but now it is too dark to run at 6 am. Right now I just run a mile after lifting in the morning. When I run or lift hard in the evening I find more soreness since it limits how much I move around before bed. If I do it in the morning I have all day to walk and stretch. Also, I don't have to see or talk to people at 5 or 6 am. :)
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to be an evening runner because that was the easiest time of day as DH was going to work ridiculously early meaning I had to be out and back even earlier. Now that we have moved though I run in the mornings because nights here are really windy and the wind kind of swirls so you always seem to be running into a headwind (seriously I have never experienced anything like this!!). I run on an empty stomach pretty much but if it's been a rough night I will generally down a glass of coke on my way out the door... yup super healthy over here! Right now I am attempting to transition from coke to cordial for the very early mornings.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning is best for me. It sets the tone for my day. I may have a few sips of water before I head out but that's about it. I save breakfast for after my run.
  • babsabs2011
    babsabs2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I run (and do all my workouts) in the morning. Its a great way to start the day! I'll drink some water, eat something light, and go...and then eat real breakfast later.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I run when my schedule allows. Sometimes that's mid-morning, sometimes early afternoon, sometimes late afternoon or evening. In the winter, I also take weather into account. If I go out for a run or a bike ride early, I usually just have a bit of water or coffee first; if it's a long ride I might stop for coffee halfway, too.

I don't have a problem exercising after a meal, unless it was a big one and I feel stuffed. You might try running after eating; as long as you don't go all-out, you'll probably be OK.
  • emkelsall
    emkelsall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been experimenting but nothing seems to fit quite right....yet :smile: I will try some of your suggestions. I haven't tried, a little something before a morning run so that will be Saturday morning since I ran tonight. I just don't feel my best later in the day, like today, but my running partner hates running in the morning.