Breastfeeding mom

Options
Hi, I have a two month old and am breastfeeding. I'm hoping to find some more friends to help me with motivation and support. I'm also hoping that breastfeeding will help me lose weight. Friend me if you think we could help each other!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who is planning round four next year. Research is reported to show the milk is made from stored energy around the hip region so it may help reduce that region. Nature put it there for a good reason. Research also shows breast feeding in most cases is a gift that keeps giving for a lifetime.
  • filemanager
    filemanager Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    chopperkat wrote: »
    Hi, I have a two month old and am breastfeeding. I'm hoping to find some more friends to help me with motivation and support. I'm also hoping that breastfeeding will help me lose weight. Friend me if you think we could help each other!

I added you, I'm in the same boat as you are! I'm constantly trying to balance cutting calories, but not so much that it affects nursing my baby, and exercising, but not so much that I'm exhausted since we (baby and I) don't sleep through the night yet!
  • pinky_b
    pinky_b Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am due on Feb 1st but most likely will be induced on Jan 23rd and hoping to be in the same boat... really want to breastfeed but just have to see how things go I guess. Added you but won't be regularly online till after bub is home.
  • pinky_b
    pinky_b Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well I tried to add you but for some reason couldn't.... feel free to add me.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I plan to breastfeed but it will still be another 6 weeks until my daughter is born. There's a breastfeeding group over here; community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/197-breastfeeding-support
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was on here after having both my children, and for some breastfeeding just doesn't burn away the fat like they claim it will. I actually gained weight while breastfeeding both of mine - I fed my son until he was 5 months and weighed more when I finished than I did the day I gave birth, despite having under 2000 calories a day 95% of the time! For some it does seem to help lose weight, but a common feeling from mums at my breastfeeding group is it's blinking hard to overeat when you have a newborn strapped to you 20 hours a day! Don't try to cut calories in the first 12 weeks while supply is being established as it can hit your supply, breastfeeding is hard enough as it is without having to work to increase supply. Wishing you lots of luck, both with the weight loss and the breastfeeding x
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Please add me! I have a 9 week old and joined about 4 weeks ago. I had a c section and tried to exercise, but it was too stressful, mentally more than physically. I go back to work Monday and hope to add some exercise in a couple weeks once baby and I get into a routine.
  • christinamcdermott
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old. Desperately trying to figure out how to lose weight at the same time. Any advice is appreciated!
  • HollyVBomba
    HollyVBomba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding my nine month old and had to lose weight for hernia surgery. Never had much luck losing weight while nursing my other 4 children. Tried to do whole 30 but found my milk supply decreased. Decided to continue to eat whole foods and as clean as possible. Added a little dairy and oatmeal for milk production. Made it down to my pre pregnancy weight. Hoping to keep going because I have lots more to lose. On my way though...
  • intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've tried to add most of you, no luck :( Seriously, this feels like my "home"! I have a 10 month old and he is exclusively nursing (almost no solids due to health issues) and I'm trying to find that sweet spot to lose weight, but not milk. Feel free to add me. Go team mommy!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the new moms!!!!! I know you're tired!!!!!
    Figure out your calories here and add 500 for breastfeeding. Then do your best to make them Good calories. I know when you're tired and hungry you just want to grab a cookie, but it doesn't help. Make sure you have lots of Good foods that are easy to grab. Make up some hard boiled eggs to always have in the fridge so when you need something its there. Great low calorie protein.
    Have some grapes or other easy fruit around.
    Keep veggies cut so you can grab and go. I know you're doing most things in life with one hand. Recruit that partner to help!!!!!! If you're up at 2am feeding, he can be cutting your veggies and helping cook extra foods to be handy.

Hang in there momma's! You can do it!!!!!!

If you are working out, be sure you're getting Lots of water! Its perfectly find to work out also. Find a nice 30 minute DVD to pop in. As hard as it sounds, it will give you More energy.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
    Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
    I don't have any newborns anymore though. Mine are 5 and 7

Nancy
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding will not spot reduce your hips. milk is made of nutrients you consume plus whatever it takes from your body as necessary (if your diet is low on protein, your body will basically eat its own muscles to free up enough protein for the milk). make them high quality foods to get the most nutrients possible.

take your 'weight loss' calorie recommendation and add 500 for a baby who is not fed solids or formula. as baby gets older, it will need fewer additional calories to make the milk because baby will take milk less often.

i don't have any wee ones to breastfeed anymore, but i have 5 years experience breastfeeding.
  • sboothe2015
    sboothe2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have a 3 year old and 7 week old. I'm currently breastfeeding the 7 week old. I'm trying to figure out how to eat better and still make sure I'm getting enough calories for good milk supply. I have 150 lbs to lose.
  • Jenster29
    Options
    hello. not feeding at the moment but am due with bub number 2 in 3 weeks. feel free to add me. Always good to have other new mummies supporting each other
  • squigglehead
    squigglehead Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm currently breastfeeding 14 week old DS :) my first target is to make it back tl my pre pregnancy weight, about 6kg away. Then I'll be taking down 10kg at a time until I hit my goal weight! Glad to meet others in the same boat :)
  • ak2fl
    ak2fl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, my youngest is 6 months, still breastfeeding. I work out 3-4 days a week. I need motivation to eat healthier.
  • nappynats
    nappynats Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Breastfeeding my 6 month old. Already below prepregnancy weight but still a ways to go...

• sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i am no longer breastfeeding, but have a ton of experence :) add me, i was able to lose 100 lbs in 2 months while breastfeeding :)
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    LOL 100 lbs in 2 months isn't likely to be body fat. i lost more than 70 lbs in 2 weeks because of all the water i was holding on to. isn't it funny the way the post-pregnancy body works?
  • mmartiandt
    mmartiandt Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat. Had my baby October 29. My struggle is that in the last 2 months I have gained almost 40 pounds while breastfeeding. My body is backwards and I lose while pregnant and gain while breastfeeding. As a result I have about 150 pounds I need to lose but I need to make sure I don't lose my milk supply. You can add me!