Am I doing enough?

Hi everyone :) I'll try to make this sound as coherent as possible, given my current state of mind, so here goes:

I just started working out five days a week about two months ago. I've done what I perceive as a great job so far - I've lost 16 pounds and I have literally done a 180 with my diet and lifestyle. I have a personal trainer that I work with 2-3 times a week and it seems like whenever I work with him, I never feel like I do enough. I'm not sure if it's a confidence/self esteem issue on my end or if it's a healthy way of mentally trying to compete and best myself (if that makes sense) or what. I really do try my hardest with each session that I work with my trainer and I push myself, but...danggit, I can't seem to feel at peace with the work I did that day and I go home feeling depressed that I didn't do MORE, even though my trainer assures me that I'm doing very well and he's pleased with my progress.

Sorry if this seems like a bunch of silly gibberish or whatnot, but I need some advice on what might be going on in my head. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Doing 'more' is not actually always helpful. Sometimes it can result in over use injury, burn out, etc. So, realistically, doing what you are doing is healthy and good for your body. We come from a society where more is better - but truthfully, quality is much better than quantity in this instance (and most instances to be honest with you).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    WTG on 16 pounds, you're doing great. RELAX, when you don't, it causes stress, which causes water retention.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Sounds like you are doing a good job. Hopefully, your personal trainer is getting you to do a program that concentrates on compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, etc..) and not just working on machines, so you can maximize your results.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    I really do try my hardest with each session that I work with my trainer and I push myself

This is good. This is what you're looking for when exercising. Maximum effort. Or if you're not putting it in, then you know what it is and you have a good reason for hitting, say, 80% of it. It's important to understand what "going to failure" means.
    I go home feeling depressed that I didn't do MORE

This doesn't make sense. The body's systems run on cycles. Push/pull, contract/relax, destroy/rebuild. You can't do one without the other or you wreck your cycles and everything goes wrong.
    When you exercise properly (ie: maximum effort) you break down muscle cells and stimulate a hormonal response to build them back, but stronger. Once you've initiated the response, YOU'RE DONE. There is nothing more to do. Now the conscious-will directed part of you stops, and your body goes about doing its part of the the cycle. Stay out of its way. Let it do its job.
  • Hey,

I just wanted to echo the thoughts of others...

I'm one of those people who believe in working out every day (I don't, but I would love to get to that point). Working out a lot doesn't mean you will get better results as someone who works a few times a week.

My bf doesn't believe in working out every day. I tease him that every other day is his rest day. He still gets good results though.

So, I know it's hard to know when you truly doing enough, but just enjoy the ride as best you can. I get so annoyed at trainers/fitness people who tell you, you can do or you not giving it your all. I truly believe that you should listen to your body and not someone telling you to lift heavier/run faster etc.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    I have a personal trainer that I work with 2-3 times a week and it seems like whenever I work with him, I never feel like I do enough. I

Maybe a personal trainer isn't the best strategy for you. I personally would not like being the object of someone's sole attention while I was working out. Heck, I get flustered if I feel like I'm being watched in the weight room! Now that you've gotten a couple months of personal training under your belt, perhaps it's time to move on to some solo work. If you enjoy setting and reaching performance goals, you can do that on your own and not feel pressured to perform to someone else's standards. Perhaps consider a heavy lifting program...or running...or whatever activity you enjoy, and work on setting your own goals.