Brown Bag Lunch Ideas

Options
liberty741
liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
Survey - how many of you pack and bring your lunch everyday? What kinds of healthy things do you make? How do you keep your salad or sandwich tasting good the next day? Do you make all your meals all at once? Or do you make it each night or morning?
I would love some tips! :-)

Thanks!

Replies

• btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump :) I'll have to start packing a lunch for work this summer!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do! Usually last night's leftovers, or a lean cuisine, or a sandwich, yogurt and fresh veggies! I have access to a fridge and micro, so it's pretty easy for me. You can always pack a cold pack in your cooler if you have something that you need to keep cold!
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i like to do leftovers or a turkey sandwich with baby carrots... this week i had leftover chicken so i was getting salad at work and heatin gup the chicken to throw on top!

i also have my drawer at work stocked with some soups on days where i forget to bring something in!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually prepare my lunches, but I allow for one day a week where I'm maybe meeting a friend, or treat myself to a sandwich from the shop down the road.

At the weekends, I usually make a big soup or stew - there's usually lots of vegetables needing used up, or if I've roasted a chicken I'll use the bones to make stock. I might add a tin of beans for extra protein, and plenty of flavourings - garlic, chilli, herbs. It's never the same recipe each week! I'll put this into individual portion tubs and keep in the freezer.

I'f I'm cooking somehting like risotto during the week, I'll make extra - into an individual tub in the freezer.

For salads, I take the raw ingredients with me to work, but don't chop them up until I'm ready to eat them. They stay fresher that way. I keep a jar of dressing in the office fridge.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Usually on Sunday night I'll grill up a bunch of chicken breasts in different seasonings/rubs. Throughout the week I'll slice it up for a caesar salad, put it in a whole wheat wrap, or whole wheat roll. Great thing is it's high in protein and fills you up! I'll also boil a good amount of eggs on Sunday and use those also for salads and sammitches. I always have bags of fruit, baby carrots, bananas, etc around and pack those as a side.
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    I usually prepare my lunches, but I allow for one day a week where I'm maybe meeting a friend, or treat myself to a sandwich from the shop down the road.

At the weekends, I usually make a big soup or stew - there's usually lots of vegetables needing used up, or if I've roasted a chicken I'll use the bones to make stock. I might add a tin of beans for extra protein, and plenty of flavourings - garlic, chilli, herbs. It's never the same recipe each week! I'll put this into individual portion tubs and keep in the freezer.

I'f I'm cooking somehting like risotto during the week, I'll make extra - into an individual tub in the freezer.

For salads, I take the raw ingredients with me to work, but don't chop them up until I'm ready to eat them. They stay fresher that way. I keep a jar of dressing in the office fridge.

Can you cook for me?
  • Bijee
    Bijee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make pasta salads with tuna or chicken salad, salads, or sandwiches, or leftovers. I have moved away from lean cuisines cause of the high sodium content and a trainer at the gym said you really need to "eat clean" whcih means to stay away from all that processed food. But i also wake up and make lunches every morning, for some odd reason I cant bring myself to pack at night. hope this helps!
  • sbpeters93
    sbpeters93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch every day. Always a salad and usually a sandwich or just wheat bread to go with it. I like the Arnolds Sandwich Thins. Only 100 calories for the whole thing. I make egg salad or tuna salad with light mayo. I eat at my desk between 11:30 and 12:30 and then take a walk over my official lunch hour of 12:30-1:30. I bring cut up fruit as well and usually a 100 calorie salty snack of some sort. Right now, I'm into the Wheat Thins Crunch Stix-Chipotle.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I pack every day. Its saved on my budget too! Healthy Choice has some awesome soups at just 110 cals per serving. Mostly I pack lunch meat sammies..oscar mayer is generous..6 pieces of meat is only between 50-70 calories, low fat cheese, skip the mayo and use mustard (its a freebie!)...wrap in a leaf of lettuce or I use Aunt Millies Healthy Bread...only 120 cals for 2 slices!

I even measure out my special K cereal in the morning and bring it to work! Keeps me from wanting the doughnuts in the cafe ;)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've been bringing my lunch for the last 3 years - that's one of the major changes I knew I'd have to make in order to lose weight. The restaurant and fast food lunches favored by my coworkers run 2000-3000 calories every day!! Not to mention insane levels of sodium and fats. ::sigh::

It's been kind of a progression for me. I started out bringing Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals. They really helped reconfigure my sense of proper portion size. But I eventually ditched them due to sodium levels and concerns about the toxins in the plastic food trays. Not to mention the waste.

Now I cook up a variety of meats every few weeks, slice and bag them in proper portion sizes (usually 2-4 oz) using my kitchen scale, and freeze any that I won't be using within a day. I mostly use Mrs Dash salt-free seasonings and some other herbs, spices, and various peppers. I do not add salt to anything.

I'm not so good about prepping veggies (okay I admit I'm BAD about it) so I do indulge in frozen veggie products. Green Giant and Birds Eye make great small serving size packets of tasty veggies. I just grab one of those and heat them up in my glassware instead of their plastic steamer bags. Add meat of choice and I have a fast easy low-cal, low fat, low sodium lunch that I can really enjoy. Sometimes I steam fresh green beans in the micro instead of the frozen veggies. I like them a lot too.
  • EHeadings
    EHeadings Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ouu... good idea!!!
  • WhyW8
    WhyW8 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I usually do either the Lean Cusine steamer bag or the Healthy Choice steamer meals. Have it with mixed greens, lo-cal / low fat dressing and I throw in some crunchy vegetable like cucumber or bell pepper. The sodium is quite high in some of those meals, but in general I do not salt much of anything so for me its not a problem, and I (well, my husband) cooks fresh meals at home for dinner so that is the extent of the processed foods that I really eat. Lately I have been packing lunch at night. I will pack it same-day if its a sandwich though so it doesn't get soggy. We have a microwave, refrigerator, toaster oven, toaster AND a small george foreman grill here that someone generously donated so there's no excuses for me! I have seen people full on cooking steaks up in here and I have even made a quesadilla one time...but I haven't had the time to be that adventurous as of late! Every now and then I like to make a tuna-pasta salad with all kinds of diced veggies in there and low fat mayo, have that with a small bowl of soup...yum.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I normally bring left overs or make a sandwich and salad. Today was tuna salad, I cut the celery and onion last night but did not assemble everything until lunch because I don't like watery tuna salad. I like the pasta tuna salad idea and wonder how it would work with a oil/vinegar dressing. DH makes some really yummy Good Seasons dressings using flavored vinegars.