Running vs elliptical - how do I convince hubby both are cardio?

Options
For the past year I worked out in my work gym by myself. I am a big fan of an elliptical because it doesn't bother my knee like running on a track does. I average about 100 calories per 10 minutes and I am able to pace myself so I don't feel like I'm going to keel over after 45 minutes.

A new city gym opened this past Dec. and hubby and I are going together - he enjoys running the track.

When I run on the track with him (i'm a noob on the track b/c I hate running), I can get 2 laps in followed by a walking lap - I can manage about 20 minutes of this before my insides feel like they are on fire. I am not able to sweat the way I do on the elliptical but rather my face turns bright red. I am just not conditioned to track running like I am to the elliptical.

my hubby says that ellipticals are not cardio and I say they are b/c it gets your HR up. Am I wrong? if not, how else can I explain it to him?

8931969.png

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is cardio.

As for convincing your husband, I say be like Elsa and let it go. It's not a conversation worth having or a fight worth fighting. Keep doing the elliptical and let him run and you can both be happy.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Get him to do some HIIT on the elliptical. 20 seconds high speed, 20 seconds easy for 5-10 minutes. You decide and stand there and keep him accountable. After he's done that, ask him again :P
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What's his reasoning for thinking elliptical is not a form cardio? Cardio is any form of aerobic exercise..which the elliptical would definitely be since you're doing it for an extended period of time.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Shrug. They're both cardio. But there's not a lot of crossover. Great that you're both doing something you like - roll with it.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Get him to do some HIIT on the elliptical. 20 seconds high speed, 20 seconds easy for 5-10 minutes. You decide and stand there and keep him accountable. After he's done that, ask him again :P

I second this. Of course elliptical training is cardio. I hope your husband is either good looking or wealthy....cause he's somewhat lacking in the intelligence department. Just kidding...kind of. :D
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    you may be kidding, but you nailed it in one.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    my hubby says that ellipticals are not cardio and I say they are b/c it gets your HR up. Am I wrong? if not, how else can I explain it to him?

It is cardio but it is about half as efficient at burning calories as running. And you're experiencing this with your observation that you can do about 45 minutes on the elliptical but only 20 running. It's not just a "conditioning" thing - the elliptical is just physically easier than running.

PS Cut your elliptical burn estimate in half, it is vastly over-estimated.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    my hubby says that ellipticals are not cardio and I say they are b/c it gets your HR up.

So in the context of the statement, are you trying to encourage him to use the elliptical, or is he trying to encourage you to run instead of the elliptical?

If he doesn't want to use the elliptical then the point is he gets the session he wants from the track.

If he's trying to encourage you to run, then he may be observing that you'll get more calorie expenditure from sustained running. Regardless, if you have a real knee issue that proper running form doesn't resolve then you don't want to exacerbate it.

They're both CV, they're just different and have different effects.

fwiw your calorie expenditure on an elliptical isn't as high as you think, I'd say it's more realistic to drop that to about 60% or less.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

It is cardio but it is about half as efficient at burning calories as running. And you're experiencing this with your observation that you can do about 45 minutes on the elliptical but only 20 running. It's not just a "conditioning" thing - the elliptical is just physically easier than running.

PS Cut your elliptical burn estimate in half, it is vastly over-estimated.

Which takes more effort and burns most calories depends on the running speed and the resistance set on the elliptical.
    600 cals/hour is perfectly attainable by someone with a good fitness level.

And yes OP they are both cardio, as are cycling (my #1 choice for injured knees), rowing, steppers etc. etc.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Its cardio!
  • sexymonicat
    Options
    I do elliptical all thw time and average about 70 calories per 10 minutes and thats what I like about it. And when I get off I don't feel like im sliding and going to pass out like I do when I get off the treadmill. Just let him do his hing and you do yours. Maybe hes just old fashioned or made up his mind about it. I love the machines I use. Ive used them for years with great results . I will eventually start stair climbin machine. Maybe ask him to try that.
  • bharatirats
    bharatirats Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No point in argue ....its cardio
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Can HIIT training really be done on an elliptical? I mean real, get your calorie burn for 4 hours after your done, HIIT training? This is a real question by the way. I just thought that the elliptical can't really be done at true high intensity to get the right after burn effect.

• sijomial
    Options

Can HIIT training really be done on an elliptical? I mean real, get your calorie burn for 4 hours after your done, HIIT training? This is a real question by the way. I just thought that the elliptical can't really be done at true high intensity to get the right after burn effect.

Yes you can do HIIT on an elliptical, alternating maximal effort bursts and recovery periods.
    Don't get carried away but the thoughts of afterburn (EPOC) from HIIT though - the effect is tiny. A small percentage of a very short duration exercise isn't worth even considering IMHO.
  • awesomejdad
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Yes you can do HIIT on an elliptical, alternating maximal effort bursts and recovery periods.
    Don't get carried away but the thoughts of afterburn (EPOC) from HIIT though - the effect is tiny. A small percentage of a very short duration exercise isn't worth even considering IMHO.

Thank you, however what does IMHO stand for?
  • sijomial
    Options

In My Humble Opinion or In My Honest Opinion.

FYI - Lyle McDonald did an interesting piece on the EPOC effects of steady state cardio and HIIT and off the top of my head I recall the figures given were 7% and 14% respectively.
    But as HIIT is short duration and steady state is typically longer duration there's not much to choose between the two.
  • awesomejdad
    edited January 2015
    Options

FYI - Lyle McDonald did an interesting piece on the EPOC effects of steady state cardio and HIIT and off the top of my head I recall the figures given were 7% and 14% respectively.
    But as HIIT is short duration and steady state is typically longer duration there's not much to choose between the two.

I just want to burn as many calories as I can without having to spend a lot of time doing cardio. The only home equipment I have, for cardio, is an elliptical. I guess I will have to try it with HIIT. I like to keep the resistance really high (like 15-19 out of 20 on my machine) and I just never can go fast enough to feel like I am sprinting or something. I am not really sure how to do it on the elliptical but I guess I will go for 30 seconds high and 1 minute steady and see how that goes. Thanks for answering.

And to the OP. Yes the elliptical is cardio!

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Due to knee problems, I can't run, so I get my cardio workouts via elliptical ... 30 minutes of interval training, 2-3 times a week. If he doesn't believe it is cardio, it's his problem. Just go do it!

PS - Before anyone says "2x a week isn't enough", I also do an 8 mile hike (4 mph) each week, along with 3x days of lifting.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You're wise to protect your knee. The elliptical is great low-impact cardio for burning calories if you can't or won't run.
  • sijomial
    edited January 2015
    Options

I just want to burn as many calories as I can without having to spend a lot of time doing cardio. The only home equipment I have, for cardio, is an elliptical. I guess I will have to try it with HIIT. I like to keep the resistance really high (like 15-19 out of 20 on my machine) and I just never can go fast enough to feel like I am sprinting or something. I am not really sure how to do it on the elliptical but I guess I will go for 30 seconds high and 1 minute steady and see how that goes. Thanks for answering.

And to the OP. Yes the elliptical is cardio!

If your goal is maximum burn in shortest time don't do HIIT - keep it at the highest intensity you can sustain for the duration you choose. For me that's averaging about 85% of max heart rate for an hour.
    A lot of the calorie counts people throw around for HIIT are hopelessly inflated as people don't understand HRMs can't effectively estimate calorie burns for HIIT.