MFP/elliptical machine dif in calories burned??

Options
Is it normal for the MFP website and the elliptical machine to show a completely different amount of calories burned? The machines yesterday said 330 calories in 30 min. But the website says 634. When logging my exercise, which should I enter?

If it makes a difference, I DID enter my weight/age on the elliptical machine so I would THINK it would figure it correctly.

Also, when I enter my calories burned for the day, my calorie goal increases that amount.... again, normal?

Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would go with the lower of the 2. MFP does not have a selection of level and all elliptical have different # of levels, so I would go with the machine in this case. FYI machines are not very accurate either. Using a HRM is the best option to estimate calories burned.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is an average. The elliptical isn't always that great either, but in my case are usually most accurate to my HRM. The best thing to do is get an HRM with chest strap.

If you can't, then pick one and ALWAYS log with that one. Before I had a chest strap I would log 1/2 of what MFP said
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I would go with the machine. I wear a HRM and I burn just over 330 calories for 30 min.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I usually go by my machine. I use the heart monitor for the duration. MFP usually has mine low, but I do levels 10 and 12 and push myself harder than I think the MFP calculator affords. I go with the machine, as I said. I usually knock off 25 or so calories though for the leeway of error.

If it were me with that big of a discrepancy, I'd go with the lower of the machine anyway, just to be on the safe side of not consuming too many calories.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    YES! It is almost always a big difference. Since you entered all that info, it'd be slightly me accurate than ones that don't. Best way is HRM, but if it were me, I'd log the lower number. And, yes your calorie goal goes up, because MFP suggests eating back your exercise calories so you get your minimum number of cals at least. Good luck!!
  • Sophronisba
    Sophronisba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the MFP and elliptical machine are both wrong! You might consider investing in a heart rate monitor--that still won't be totally accurate, but it will probably be closer.

For me, MFP calorie counts are significantly higher than what my heart rate monitor says.

Yes, it is normal for your calorie allotment to go up by the amount that you burned off during exercise.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think the 330 is probably more accurate, but its different for eveyone. I have found that I burn around 100 calories for every 10 minutes average. It also depends on the resistance level I set it at and how hard I work. but 634 is VERY high for 30 minutes
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue w/ the elliptical machine and MFP. I usually try to average out the two number, lol. Since both have my age and wieght, I figure in between would be somewhat correct.

And yes, when you add in exercise to your diary, your calorie goal is supposed to go up by that amount. That's because your initial calorie goal is set at a number where you could lose your goal weight (.5; 1; 1.5; 2 lbs/week) WITHOUT any exercise. Basically it takes your regular daily activity level and sets it at a defecit.

So when you do a purposeful workout, you get to "eat back" those calories to be able to end up at the same NET calorie goal that you are supposed to be at. So do what it says, you earned those extra calories!!
  • DallasLeann
    DallasLeann Posts: 44
    Options
    I have noticed that, too. I don't have a HRM so I go with the lowest number to be safe. And yes, your calorie intake for the day should go up when you enter exercise. There are many debates on this, but that is MFP's way of getting you to eat your exercise calories.
  • PoohBear1331
    Options
    Glad to see everyone struggles with this issue. I also tend to change up my workout midstream so find MFP hard to use. I just bought a HRM with calorie counter. Should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait!
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did a run on Monday on the treadmill I logged it as : burned 369 calories doing 35 minutes of "Running (jogging), 5.2 mph (11.5 min mile)"

and then I added this comment: Other notes about this run: was on tready for a total of 39.09 (warm up walk and cool down walk included) went 2.8 miles or 4.5 kms, tready said - even with the abillity to read my HRM - that I burnt 450 calories, my HRM said 369. Max heart rate was 175; average 141

so yes always there is a big difference MFP wanted to give me 650 calories for the run; my HRM 369 calories and the treadmill even with the ability to read my HRM, and with my weight added into the treadmill - 450 calories.

btw - most machines are set to read for a man who weighs 150 lbs, so if you don't enter a weight its not going to be anywhere close and few machines let you change gender.

I always enter my weight on the machines and if I don't have my HRM I knock off 100 calories from the number the machine gives me. I did machines for a long time with my HRM and I found that for me, the machines were pretty consistant in being 100 calories more than my HRM.
  • leelynn18
    leelynn18 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!!

I don't still why I'm supposed to eat back the calories that I burnt off. I thought the whole point was to burn calories to lose weight! I would think that if I ate back those calories, I wouldn't lose any weight. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

Thanks again everyone!

Oh and to everyone who suggested getting a HRM, I'm looking into it. Amazon has the watches on sale right now!
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    your suppose to eat back your calories for a couple of great reasons, very quickly:

1. when you joined MFP and told the system you want to lose 2lbs a week (example) it calculated your daily calorie intake so you will lose 2 lbs a week; so if you add in exercise and burn more calories, well then your way under what your body needs

and

2. if you don't eat your exercise calories, guaranteed that at some point you will stall and plateau, becasue if you don't fuel your body it will find fuel in other ways and that means it will hold on stubbornly to every single calorie you put into your mouth

best advice - eat them