Show us your home town

Options
nzMattO
nzMattO Posts: 88 Member
We all come from all over the place, all over the world. I thought it would be fun, and maybe even educational, to see where people come from. I don't mean stalking pictures of your house or bedroom, but something that represents where you live, your view, or a view of your town. I'll kick it off with the Kapiti Coast in New Zealand. My house is about the middle of the pointy out part on the right hand side. The Island to the left is Kapiti Island which is a bird sanctuary.
6al0l71c8m1p.jpg

Replies

• JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,044 Member
    Options
    Oldham, United Kingdom, was the worlds biggest manufacturer of Cotton during the Industrial Revolution and WW2, so lots of mills still up and standing, most of em empty.

a3wi2175g0y5.jpg
    ht20ybq3ieez.jpg
    zf98ov6owa7r.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Joplin, Missouri on Route 66.

If you have seen it on TV it probably looked like this...the May 22, 2011 EF-5 tornado that destroyed a third of our town.
    3kbl7h5nyba2.jpg

I prefer these sights. We also have all of the generic Midwestern big box, chain restaurant junk of a small city, of course. It's still a pretty charming town though!

cakzoop4oppw.jpg

dnysv6ll2n4y.jpg
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Seltzer: I'm from MO (STL) and I'll never forget the Joplin tornadoes, such a tragic day for our state. Thrilled to hear it is rebuilding itself!
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    9mbhm8jme0pw.jpg
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The snow view from my dads back yard, where i grew up.
    And the 3 mile long private owned road we would take home.
    Small town life in Sonora, CA.
    And Yosemite National Park, my back yard.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Seltzer: I'm from MO (STL) and I'll never forget the Joplin tornadoes, such a tragic day for our state. Thrilled to hear it is rebuilding itself!

Thank you!!! It is coming back slowly but the hometown pride/school spirit is so much better than before, which is nice.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    a778cfaa622a55bb24b36a551d38b8a6.png

506c117f3dc018177bf6299764a1281a.png
  • nzMattO
    nzMattO Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm linking the way this thread has turned out so far! Great pics.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Born and raised in the city by this beautiful bridge: San Francisco!

san-franc.jpg
  • lewoldt
    lewoldt Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    csbeycf5486z.jpg
    Indian Leap Falls in Norwich Ct.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Moved up to South Shields (just outside Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England) 3 years ago and love the beach during the Summer. :smiley:

jvq2jxr6qz0x.jpg
  • heftybelson
    Options
    I live in Bamford, Derbyshire, UK. In an area known as the peak district (The clue is in the name. I guess we are most famous for our association with the Dambusters who trained on Ladybower reservoir just down the road

v2cmxzgdt16h.jpg
  • heftybelson
    Options
    950sg3wr7vbw.jpeg
    ra1cfj2h8llh.jpeg
    9y5cht6le2ds.jpg

Few more.. An area well worth a visit if you like warm beer, fell running and real men
  • SimonCypher
    Options
    Never been before heftybelson but it does look lovely. May venture down in Summer.
  • caratayloruk
    caratayloruk Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Moved up to South Shields (just outside Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England) 3 years ago and love the beach during the Summer. :smiley:

jvq2jxr6qz0x.jpg

I'm originally from Newcastle upon Tyne and i spent many a summer at South Shields beach. I love the North East coastline, it has so many beautiful beaches. My favourite is either Bamburgh or Tynemouth Longsands. I'm at work atm so can't post pics, but i'm currently residing in Nottingham, England. Home of Robin Hood. Its your standard British city, definitely doesn't have the charm of my home town
  • SimonCypher
    Options
    I've heard great things about Bamburgh but not ventured there yet, this Summer I'm looking to get to as many places as I can. I used to live in Surrey and there were some wonderful places but I'm so happy up here and can't see me moving back down South at all. I'm at work too, but it's soooooo quiet! :(
  • Chocoholic1990
    Chocoholic1990 Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Bristol, UK. Would prefer better weather and less traffic but other than that can't complain!
  • caratayloruk
    caratayloruk Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Bamburgh but not ventured there yet, this Summer I'm looking to get to as many places as I can. I used to live in Surrey and there were some wonderful places but I'm so happy up here and can't see me moving back down South at all. I'm at work too, but it's soooooo quiet! :(

There are so many great places in Northumberland, I never really appreciated it until i moved away. Definitely one of the UK's undiscovered areas. I still miss living close to the sea but I don't see me living back home again (even if i do think Newcastle is the greatest city on earth!)
  • votick
    votick Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Photo courtesy of one of my friends. Greetings from Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada.

rsjssntex9h3.jpg
  • heftybelson
    Options
    Buckshot I know the holes your talking about, I do a spot of fly fishing from a boat on Ladybower (well I used to not so much nowadays) as a kid I always got kinda nervous of going over the edge