calories in supplements

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
I'm on quite a few supplements at the moment (Ca, Mg, Fe, B12, D3. prescribed by doctor) and wonder how many calories they have as I like acurate logging. Surely they should have some calories, right?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    majoring in the minor eh?

None. Those are minerals and vitamins.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I take a fair few supplements too, including fish oil, epo and chia. I don't count the calories which would be negligible. Contact the manufacturers who will be able to let you know.
  • yirara
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    majoring in the minor eh?

None. Those are minerals and vitamins.

...which contain a lot of fillers and such. Not sure though what your first line means :smiley: If it means I might be overdoing things: well, I also log the spices in my food, even though it's just 5kcal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Most of mine list 0, but some have a few calories. I assume the calories are from the shell of the thing, but am not sure.

Check the label on the bottle. :)
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Nah I supplement with vitamins quite a bit too. I list them in my food diary but the calories are practically zilch. I wouldn't be worried about them at all calorie wise.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I take many vitamins and count my calories. Fish oil and primrose oils have 10 each and cranberry has some too. My others don't have it on the bottle so I don't have anything to go by so I just go by whatever the listing in the database has.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Oh and IMO no amount of calories is negligible. When I realized omitting sugar and creamer from my coffee every day was saving me 36500 a year I did a happy dance. But now of course those calories are from vitamins bit at least it's not doubled anymore.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Check the bottles and ingredients. If it is straight minerals and vitamins it is negligible. Things like fish oil are supplements and are more likely to contain calories that you should log.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm on quite a few supplements at the moment (Ca, Mg, Fe, B12, D3. prescribed by doctor) and wonder how many calories they have as I like acurate logging. Surely they should have some calories, right?

i scan the barcodes on packaging using the handy scanner on app.
    most are 0, but take one 4x daily for 20cal that i log.

• yirara
    Options
    Oh and IMO no amount of calories is negligible. When I realized omitting sugar and creamer from my coffee every day was saving me 36500 a year I did a happy dance. But now of course those calories are from vitamins bit at least it's not doubled anymore.

Exactly! That's how I see it, though in my case it wasn't creamer but crisps and sweets, and I'm not telling what the yearly total was :dizzy_face:

The bottles of my suplements don't list anything other than ingredients. There's some cellulose, but the amount is uncertain. As are the other ingredients. I nly get the dodgy ones here :wink: I guess I can't go wrong with adding some 10kcal for each day...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Most don't - but I take gummy vitamins and they have calories. What I do is use the recipe builder - scan all the labels - save it as daily vitamins. Then in the morning I just pop that one entry into my diary. If I change brands or anything when I run out I just update the recipe. Easy peasy.