Need a vegetable dip..Low cal etc.....

Options
I am eating a lot better and am trying to eat more vegetables. I really need to find a vegetable dip to help. Looking for someting low cal.. I have tried Greek yogurt and I can't eat it. It is so terrible I can't even eat more then one bite. Hoping anyone could suggest a dip. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Hummus. 2 tbsp-1/4 cup at a time, depending on your goals... It's freaking delicious.
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This may not be helpful at all considering your feelings about Greek yogurt, but have you tried adding Lipton Onion Soup mix packets to plain greek yogurt? Makes like a sour cream & onion dip but with the Greek yogurt so it's generally low in fat and high in protein. Again, sorry if you're 100% against Greek yogurt and that wasn't helpful. Otherwise, I just use a light creamy salad dressing to dip veggies in.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cool-and-creamy-spinach-dip

Try this one, it's delicious! I don't use the low fat ranch dressing or other spices, I just add a Tablespoon of Uncle Dan's dry ranch dressing spice mix. I buy a jar of that at Costco- or you can just use an envelope of the mix.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Here's another one, no spinach. If you don't like the consistency of cottage cheese just whirl it in a food processor or blender.http://www.myrecipemagic.com/recipe/recipedetail/3-second-ranch-dip
  • chetrog
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to make ranch and spinach with Greek yogurt. I don't think i have ever had hummus. Going to try that tomorrow. Never tried a dip with cottage cheese. Gonna have to try that also. Thanks everyone.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i really like using the laughing cow cheese wedges as dips/spreads for veg.

they make blue cheese, french onion, garlic and herb, so many flavors! you can spread them on celery, dip carrots or broccoli in them, bell peppers, whatever veg you want. and they're only 35 calories or so a wedge so you totally have a couple of them if you're eating a giant batch of veg.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Spinach dip is pretty good. I definitely second that one.

I'm personally not a fan of hummus. Tried it once, and just tossed it out. lol But it's at least worth the try.

You could, also, use typical dressings or dips. A lot of people really like ranch. If you're worried about the calories adding up fast, they have low calorie options.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    The veg I can eat raw is limited to salad stuff (spinach, shredded cabbage, sprouts, cucumber, etc), and I put oil and vinegar on that, or else carrots, corn, tomatoes, and very occasionally, red or orange peppers. Notice that all the non-salad ones are kind of sweet.

I definitely can't eat raw broccoli (or raw zucchini, mushrooms, kale, etc etc). I have to cook it to make it taste good to me. Boiled (for broccoli and cauliflower), steamed, sauteed or roasted, with a bit of olive oil and garlic. That's it, maybe a squeeze of lemon on the green things.

You can get your veg in soups, too, don't forget.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    26minus60 wrote: »

they make blue cheese

What?! Why have I never seen this flavor? It needs to be in my belly immediately.
  • egomezz16
    egomezz16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bolt house farms makes yogurt based salad dressing. My favorite is salsa ranch :)
  • craftytasha
    craftytasha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hummus makes veggies appetizing and desirable. Store bought hummus is typically 30 calories per tablespoon. Here is my favorite recipe for homemade hummus http://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/ It's a bit higher in calories but much tastier with the fresh garlic and lemon juice.
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think this came from cooking light. I don't honestly remember. It's surprisingly light, fresh and tasty. The yogurt just acts as a binder - you won't even taste it I promise.

Nutty Edamame Dip

2 cups frozen shelled edamame
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
    2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
    2 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Preparation

1. Combine edamame and garlic in a small saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above edamame. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes or until edamame is tender. Remove from heat; drain well.
    2. Combine edamame, garlic, basil, pine nuts, and yogurt in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarsely ground. Add 1/4 cup water and remaining ingredients; process until almost smooth.
  • chetrog
    chetrog Posts: 18
    Options
    I tried Hummus today for the first time. I liked it. I bought some from the grocery store. I got some that had some garlic in it. I definitely will be making it for myself and add some different type flavors. I like that i don't have to spread a lot of it over a pretzel/whatever. I don't know if it would be good for carrots , but i will try it sometime. Thanks for info everyone. I'm gonna check the links you guys have posted for the recipes etc.. Thanks all.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest hummus but i see you tried it. Another suggestion i have for veggies (with the exception of celery BLECH) would be to make a vinagrette and lightly toss/drizzle it over them.

My recipe for that is:
    In a bowl whisk together 1 teaspoon dijon or whole mustard with juice of half a lemon.
    Add salt/pepper to your liking and then add in roughly 3 tablespoons of balsamic.
    Mix well until its homogenous.
    Then slowly add in roughly 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil whisking vigorously.

tada! Super delicious.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    26minus60 wrote: »

they make blue cheese

What?! Why have I never seen this flavor? It needs to be in my belly immediately.

Wow, this is news to me as well! Blue Cheese, laughing cow? I might have to check this out. I used to eat it sometime back, oh maybe a couple years ago but the sodium is high so I cut it out for awhile. I may give the BC a try though.

Thanks!

OP...there are so many varieties of Greek Yogurt, anything from FAGE, to Chobani, varying textures and tastes. I think it's an acquired taste to eat it plain, some are simply smoother and less tart than others. I bet Fage plain would make a good dip. Instead of dumping a full packet of Hidden Valley powder in mine though, I sprinkle some in it and it gives it the flavor without all the junk in a full packet.

Sliced cukes, zucchini slices, baby carrots... you name it!

Good luck finding something you enjoy! :)
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    try plain greek yogurt + ranch packet + all the (texas pete) buffalo sauce your little heart desires. my house's modification on the famed buffalo chicken dip. tastes the same, much more healthy than cream cheese and actual ranch!
    edit: i love it with celery. not sure how it would taste with vegetables that actually have flavor hahaha
  • jlp419
    jlp419 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Low fat Greek yogurt and ranch dressing mix
  • hp0404
    hp0404 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Looking for people to add for motivation and food ideas.:)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    mmmm...roasted red pepper hummus....