Men in ther 50-'s and 60's

Options
I am curious about how men in their 50's and 60's deal with on going limitations in what and how they can do things.

I am 55 and am having a hard time dealing with not being able to do things I love to do, such as playing racquetball, splitting and stacking wood, etc.

I find myself lacking the same motivation I used to have 5 or 10 years ago. I seem to get angry more due to the stress of trying to do these things then aching for a long time afterwards.

I must say I workout regularly too.

Any comments?

Replies

• jstrohs1
    Options
    Have your testosterone level checked next time you go to the doctors! Lack of motivation, stress, being angry are all symptoms!!
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    jstrohs1 wrote: »
    Have your testosterone level checked next time you go to the doctors! Lack of motivation, stress, being angry are all symptoms!!
    ^^^this
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and I do whatever I want. Running, lifting and romance with the ladies!!

Living a healthy lifestyle has its benefits!!!

Man up and get tough!!!
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 54 and, for me, diabetes and elevated blood glucose was the primary zapper of energy. This, along with carrying an extra 60 pounds of weight, made it increasingly difficult to get motivated to move. Now that I've got my BG under control (low carb Keto diet) and have lost weight, I have more energy than I've had in 30 years and find myself wanting to get out and do things.

The Keto diet also helps reduce inflammation, so I have very little soreness after physical activity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm very goal oriented and self-competitive - so I'm always challenging myself whether it's fitness, strength, distance, speed etc.. etc.. Even the daily calorie goal is a challenge!

I'm frustrated that there's things I can't do due to knee, back and other injuries but I'm not going to accept age as an excuse not to strive to be the best I can.
    I can't run any great distance but I can cycle - PB for distance last year which I'm going to beat this year.
    I can't do squats and deadlifts but I'm close to lifetime best on bench press.
    Do what you can do, excel at it and let go what you can't do.

Getting the excess weight off is an absolute must though. I feel ten times more lively and energetic and all my aches and pains have receded enormously.
  • dallasvol
    dallasvol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 54. It's been my experience that the cleaner I eat the more energy and focus I have.
    Knee surgery last April pretty much ended my long distance running, but I bought a road bike, use the stair stepper at the gym and take shorter runs to keep up the cardio. I've added yoga 2-3 times a week and found that it helps my recovery from weight training.

I agree it's frustrating that we can't do at 54 what we did at 24, but I'm also finding that there are other things that we can do to stay in shape. We just have to be willing to explore and try new things.

Good luck with your journey. You can do this!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and in the best shape of my life. trying to get into single digit body fat from being obese a little over two years ago. I have run into many of the issues listed above from hernia and rotator injuries but always figure out a way to work around it. Wonky knees so don;t run any more but do elliptical trainer. Always a way to change and adapt.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    jstrohs1 wrote: »

yes this too, I got mine checked and it was low. Started Androgel back in Jan 2013 and you wouldn't believe the difference. It does not pack on the muscle and heal every injury, but the motivation that comes back is incredible. It is worth checking out. It is very low dose testosterone I calculated about 1/35 of what a bodybuilder would take.
  • ipress1962
    ipress1962 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh the joys of getting old! I've had the lot like so many of you out there, Thyroid issues, Splenectomy, Pulmonary embolism, Gallbladder removal, Serious RTA, two heart attacks and four heart surgeries to name but a few . Yes I could complain but what's the point no one really listens or even cares. So without suffering self pity you have to ask why you're doing all this, come up with a good answer and the whole thing becomes pleasurable. Oh! And let the anger go, stop dwelling on problems and life becomes so much more rewarding. As great philosophers have said its the journey not the destination that's important, so stop worrying about what you can't do and find activities that you can. As the fitness improves you can begin to add back in the other things you enjoy in life. I'm healthier than I've been in years and enjoying life to the full in my 50's.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to sound whiny, just wanted to see if others out there experienced this. I go to the YMCA fours days a week. I swim, weight lift and other things. I eat FOK. Take in around 1700 Cals. Thanks for your responses.