Help with balancing cardio/weight lifting

Options
Hi, I have been on here awhile and I have had a set back, I am bound and determined that nothing is going to stop me this year. I am limiting carbs (I come from a potato and bread family). I need suggestions for a balanced workout.

I am planning on taking a Zumba and Body pump class once a week (there is only one class that fits into my work schedule). I need something else for the other 3 days. Any suggestions!

Hope everyone has a great New Year!

Bring on 2015

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is there a health reason why you are limiting carbs (i.e. diabetic)?

Neither Zumba nor BodyPump are considered weight lifting, so maybe use the other 3 days for weight training? Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, etc. These are good programs for new lifters.
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you love potatos and bread, limiting them is going to make you fail. Just work it into your calories!! and lift heavy.... seriously you won't be disappointed
  • Susan0279
    Susan0279 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There is no medical reason for limiting carbs.....I just always go for the extra helping of potato and bread.
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people say "don't cut out the food you love, work it into your calories", but I understand that sometimes it's easier to not eat something at all than to try and eat a small amount. Sometimes a small amount just isn't satisfying enough! I had the same problem with crisps/ potato chips. 1 year on, I haven't touched them. Just easier that way for me personally.
    I personally do cardio (a mixture of running and HIIT) 4-5 times a week, and lift heavy twice a week. It works well for me, my primary goals are to run faster, and I'm training for a half marathon. A good mix for a lot of people is cardio 3-4 times a week, lifting 2-3.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    do you follow a weights program? most of them are 30-40 minutes 3 days a week.

• Susan0279
    Options
    No I do not follow a weight program, are there any that you recommend?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    follow a three day/week full body strength training program and do cardio, if you want to, on the off days, 1-3 days/week. I would suggest looking into starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    follow a three day/week full body strength training program and do cardio, if you want to, on the off days, 1-3 days/week. I would suggest looking into starting strength, stronglifts 5x5, strong curves, new rules of lifting.

exactly this!

I started with the New Rules of Lifting for Women and it changed my fitness personality 180 and put me on a beeline to reach my goals.

and it takes like... almost no time - unlike cardio - which requires longer workouts (for me)

• Susan0279
    Options
    :) Thank you all for your help/opinions I appreciate it!