Need to lose those last 15 pounds....

Options
I wasn't terribly out of shape to begin with which I think is why it took me so long (two years) to lose my first 20 pounds, but I need help losing that last 15 pounds! I cut out processed foods (mostly) and wheat and dairy, but I'd really like to reintroduce cracked wheat cereal at least as far as wheat goes and maybe yoghurt and cottage cheese or other cheeses. I don't have a set workout plan, but even when I've spent weeks or months working out moderately and eating 1200 calories daily, I hit a plateau. What can I do while still reintroducing these things to start losing weight again!?

Replies

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise have you been doing? What are your stats? It may be that you're at a perfect weight, but your body composition is displeasing to you. If you're not already, incorporate strength training into your workout routine and make sure you're eating plenty of lean protein. This will help your musculature, which in turn will make you appear slimmer even if you're not losing weight.
  • PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training? I do mostly cycling. Some circuit weights. A little yoga.
    I don't know what stats are.
    When I was tested for body fat percentage it was in the "athletic" category, 16-18%. Problem is I don't look like it. I still have a bit of visceral fat. And my thighs...And I'm not athletic.
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes, agree. Just replace some of your meals with some quality protein supplement (cheap protein often contains more fat than the more expensive ones) and you will reduce your calorie intake without feeling hungry all the time.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    Thing is I don't feel hungry when I eat 1200 calories. I just am not losing weight when by all accounts I should be.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I posted a few links in a recent discussion from SHAPE and Fitness magazines that are great strength training and cardio combination workouts. Here's the link to that discussion: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040329/cardio-weights-both#latest
  • Zwible
    Zwible Posts: 57
    Options
    Are you sure you're getting an accurate picture of your calorie intake? 1200 does seem rather low. In any case, the number doesn't really matter. If you're not losing weight, you haven't got a calorie deficit.
  • PaiPug
    Options
    I don't understand why I wouldn't have a calorie deficit then. My doctor told me I should be eating more, and more frequently because my blood pressure was really low during those few months. Would my body just hold on to every calorie??
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't go lower than 1200 calories. Definitely try mixing up the workouts- cycling is great cardio so keep that in the regimen but add strength training. BodyBuilding.com has a great plan for women, that's what I follow. You will see the difference in the mirror, not the scale. But keep going with the healthy diet and a mix of cardio and weights and you'll see it.
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Any lower calorie intake and you will be doing your body a disservice. Trust your doctor.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Up your calories and UP your fitness. Its crazy you are at 16-18% body fat though. Sounds to me like you need to shock your body/system. Too long of one thing will cause plateaus no matter how hard you try. Are you sure you need to lose 15 pounds? You are at a low body fat for females already. If you feel flabby maybe work a little harder on those spot areas, planks... and any other core work. Good luck! :)
  • PaiPug
    Options
    How many calories should I eat then? My BMR is around 1450. But for weight loss don't I need to go lower than that?
  • PaiPug
    Options
    And should my caloric increase be equal to my exercise expenditure every day? So baseline with no exercise might be 1200 but I do a 300 calorie workout and need 300 more?