Question about Fitbit's etc

Options
Neeters1969
Neeters1969 Posts: 53 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I am looking into different options for tracking steps etc, and have been seeing all sorts of sales on Fitbit's etc. I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find any answers to in my research.

1. Is it absolutely necessary to have a smart phone, or android phone for these to work. They all seem to mention them in the descriptions. I still carry a dinosaur analog flip phone (for emergencies only) and don't want to have to upgrade.

2. Do they work like a pedometer? tracking steps etc? Are they easy to set up. I have never had any luck with pedometers because you have to measure your strides to make them work and I could never figure it out right.

3. What is the best (read: most economical and frugal) and reliable models out there?

Any opinions from users would be most appreciated.

Happy New Year 2015!

Replies

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have a basic fitbit zip that I've been using since July or so, and I love it!

Lets see if I can answer your questions.
    You do not need a smart phone, but it does make it easier to sync. The fitbit will need to sync, and it does come with what they call a dongle (yes, even at 35 I laugh at that) which plugs into your usb port in your computer. You don't need to constantly sync, but I find it helps with figuring out your added calories.

They do work like a pedometer, but they are smarter. They know if you are running or walking, and they know your height, weight, age and gender, and so the calorie adjustment is automatic, and in my opinion, fairly accurate.

As I said, I have the zip. Its the cheapest, and has done everything I've need it to.

It is not a heart rate monitor, so it won't be perfect in assessing a run or steady cardio session, but for me, its good enough.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can't give you much advice on others, but I've used the fitbit One for a long time. So for that only:

1) No it's not. With the fitbit One you get a little dongle (ha ha I love that word) for your computer's USB port and it will sync with that as often as you want. The phone app is handy because it keeps you up to date via bluetooth when you're out and about but it's not necessary.

2) Yes the fitbit One does; it also counts steps climbed, miles travelled and 'active minutes'. My One was remarkably easy to set up but I'm not sure how incredibly accurate it is at distance given it doesn't know how long my stride is.

3) In terms of the One, it's fairly expensive but I used it reliably every day for two years and I'm kinda lost without it. I don't even know what happened to it - I usually kept it clipped to my bra but one day it disappeared (the fitbit - the holder was still there) and I have no idea where it went. That is a danger because they're too expensive to lose really, but I did keep hold of it for two years which for me is an achievement! If you're wanting something to keep you motivated long term in terms of steps per day then I'd recommend - if you want something a bit more complicated for exercise (e.g. HR etc.) then I'd go with something else.

I preferred the One to the wrist fitbits simply because it was out of the way and no one could see it.
  • LizN63
    edited January 2015
    Options
    brightsideofpink got in before me :smile: (I am 35 and laugh at dongle too, how weird is that?) Just to add there is a group on here for fitbit users, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users.

For a replacement myself, I would probably go with the Zip.

I find the calorie estimate which syncs with MFP to give you more calories in your day to be the most useful feature but it is probably on the relatively generous side, I don't know.
  • BethanSugar
    BethanSugar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have a basic fitbit zip that I've been using since July or so, and I love it!

Lets see if I can answer your questions.
    You do not need a smart phone, but it does make it easier to sync. The fitbit will need to sync, and it does come with what they call a dongle (yes, even at 35 I laugh at that) which plugs into your usb port in your computer. You don't need to constantly sync, but I find it helps with figuring out your added calories.

They do work like a pedometer, but they are smarter. They know if you are running or walking, and they know your height, weight, age and gender, and so the calorie adjustment is automatic, and in my opinion, fairly accurate.

As I said, I have the zip. Its the cheapest, and has done everything I've need it to.

It is not a heart rate monitor, so it won't be perfect in assessing a run or steady cardio session, but for me, its good enough.

I got a fitbit flex a few days ago and I love it. I agree with all the comments above!

You don't have to have a smart phone and they are really easy to set up! You just follow the steps on your computer screen.

I think the flex is a good model, but I haven't had it for very long so I couldn't say how reliable it is. It can't track as much as the more expensive models, so if you want to track swimming or more complex activities than walking or running I would advise you to get a more expensive model.
  • Neeters1969
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A relief to know that I don't need to upgrade the phone. My daughter does have an Ipad, would it sync with that?

• LizN63
    Options
    My One does not seem to sync with my iPad but that might just be me!
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A relief to know that I don't need to upgrade the phone. My daughter does have an Ipad, would it sync with that?

Only if it's a newer one. I have the iPad 2 and it won't sync because it has an older version of Bluetooth.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We have had several Fitbit's in our family.
    I started with the Ultra and it lasted me almost 2 years. I liked that it was discrete... I wore it on the center of my bra and no one even knows it's there.
    I upgraded to the One for the same reason. I wear a watch, so I didn't want anything else on my wrist.
    My mom started with the Ultra and then got the Force - it did give her a rash, but she wouldn't give it up until they came out with something to replace it. She will be getting the ChargeHR when it's available. She wants the heart rate monitor and the Charge HR has a buckle to close rather than the 'snap in'. I have seen a lot of complaints about the snap in bands coming undone and people losing them.
    My husband had the Ultra, but kept forgetting to put it on. He finally decided he want the wrist style. He had the Force but returned it as soon as the recall hit because it gave him a a terrible rash. Then he tried the One, but again he would forget to wear it.
    He then tried about every other wrist band out there.... vivofit, galaxy gear fit, nike sport watch..... He needs his band to be a watch as well as the fitness band.
    He finally got the Fitbit Surge and he loves it! I don't think it's available to everyone yet. He was able to get one early due to the Force problem. It tracks heart rate, has a great watch and has GPS too. He said he should have just waited for the Surge rather than trying all of those other bands. He's really happy with the Surge.

You might be able to use the bluetooth on the Ipad to sync. I just sync mine with the computer and my smartphone. But I just used my computer before I got the smartphone. ;-)

The fitbits are easy to use and don't require a lot of calibration for your steps. They seem pretty accurate.

I also don't 'use' the extra calories the fitbit gives on MFP for steps unless I've walked a lot or actually sweated. ;-)

Hope this helps. :p
  • Neeters1969
    Options
    Wow, thanks that's great information. I will look into the Fit bit's a bit further. Thanks for the information on the issues with the rashes etc. :)
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit flex (I think) it's the thin one you wear on your wrist. I sync it with my iPad mini and haven't had any issues with that. I haven't had issues with rashes either. I've had it since September and I really like it. Seems to be pretty accurate measuring my activity. :-)
  • getlessheavy
    getlessheavy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    He got the surge already!
    Jealous.
    Waiting...patiently.
    Masq wrote: »
    We have had several Fitbit's in our family.
    I started with the Ultra and it lasted me almost 2 years. I liked that it was discrete... I wore it on the center of my bra and no one even knows it's there.
    I upgraded to the One for the same reason. I wear a watch, so I didn't want anything else on my wrist.
    My mom started with the Ultra and then got the Force - it did give her a rash, but she wouldn't give it up until they came out with something to replace it. She will be getting the ChargeHR when it's available. She wants the heart rate monitor and the Charge HR has a buckle to close rather than the 'snap in'. I have seen a lot of complaints about the snap in bands coming undone and people losing them.
    My husband had the Ultra, but kept forgetting to put it on. He finally decided he want the wrist style. He had the Force but returned it as soon as the recall hit because it gave him a a terrible rash. Then he tried the One, but again he would forget to wear it.
    He then tried about every other wrist band out there.... vivofit, galaxy gear fit, nike sport watch..... He needs his band to be a watch as well as the fitness band.
    He finally got the Fitbit Surge and he loves it! I don't think it's available to everyone yet. He was able to get one early due to the Force problem. It tracks heart rate, has a great watch and has GPS too. He said he should have just waited for the Surge rather than trying all of those other bands. He's really happy with the Surge.

You might be able to use the bluetooth on the Ipad to sync. I just sync mine with the computer and my smartphone. But I just used my computer before I got the smartphone. ;-)

The fitbits are easy to use and don't require a lot of calibration for your steps. They seem pretty accurate.

I also don't 'use' the extra calories the fitbit gives on MFP for steps unless I've walked a lot or actually sweated. ;-)

Hope this helps. :p

• ktjolars11
    ktjolars11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Quick question (I hope) regarding Fitbits.... I recently purchased one, and have it synced for exercise... at the end of the day- I complete my entry - and nothing is showing in the newsfeed? Either exercise or my completion for the day.... Is this something to do w/ the fitbit and syncing or ?