Budget for either HRM or spin bike...

Options
Hi, somewhat new here. I have 2 young kids and a husband that travels a lot. We live WAY out in the country. I do a combination of P90X, Insanity and running. I have been wishing for an alternative cardio workout that is quiet enough in my home, but I am also tired of guessing when I am in my HR zone, and calories spent. I am thinking it is smarter to use the budget (~200) for a spin bike at amazon, but I have been wanting a HRM for a long time and just keep not prioritizing it.

It makes more sense to keep estimating and have the workouts..right? Just wanted to check my thinking on this...thoughts (and recs. for either) welcome.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think an HRM is a nice tool for learning about your HR zones but has some limitations for calorie estimates. But that said, I'd spring $70 on a Polar before a $200 spin bike.

You know what's a great, quiet, cheap-ish cardio for the home? A rebounder, and bonus- your kids will love it. I have the JumpSport (costco.com now sells them) and it's about silent because it has no springs. A bike is such a dull repetitive motion. You can do so much on a rebounder. I hate Tracy Anderson but she has a good rebounder workout on Youtube that shows what a variety of movements you can do on one. A rebounder is easy to slip in a closet or move room to room.

Or 1-2 heavy kettlebells! Cardio and strength both! :D
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend on $200 on a spin bike, it would be a piece of junk. I would spend a lot more money on one or you could find one that is used. But a HRM makes more sense to me.

I also like the idea of a rebounder :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Use that $200 on craigs list and get a nicer piece of equipment, that will hold up long term.
  • AidansStarfish
    AidansStarfish Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thanks folks. of course the 200 was on bikes they were SAYING retail for 5...but I am not sure what to think.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I was looking at spin bikes they were around the $500 mark to get a good brand. Make sure you get up on it and see how noisy it is. My mum had a non spin bike and it was too noisy it drowned out the tv. It became a clothes hanger!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a Sunny Fitness bike from Amazon. It has pretty good reviews for a <$200 spin bike. We bought it mostly because we didn't have room for a treadmill. I had never taken a spin class. But I like it. So if in a year it turns out that I've used it enough that it falls apart I will consider spending more on another.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I don't have experience with spin bikes outside of the ones at the gym. But $200 sounds too low for a quality bike. Unless you can find a quality used one for that price at a fitness store or craigslist.

I'm not a huge fan of spinning but I did just get a Polar FT7 for Christmas though and love it. Santa got a good deal on it too with the holiday pricing.....
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    If you own any sort of bike-get a wind trainer. I picked one up off Kiijiji for under $100
    and currently have my raod bike set up in front of TV. My trainer would fit my mountain bike or my 19 year old-no shocks-upright handle errand in town bike. Bonus is come warm weather-outside biking is easy.
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    Personally I would go for the bike, unless you enjoy eating back a good portion of your exercise calories. If you eat back most of your exercise calories, a HRM might be better. I myself am I huge fan of bikes. For me they are perfect because of the high calorie burn with a low impact. A cheap one does the trick. I got mine for free (not a lot of bells and whistles, but very effective) from someone who lost motivation and just wanted the space. Buying used from craigslist or a buy/sell/trade facebook group can result in a decent bike for under $50, which may mean both are possible!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If it were me, while being accurate about your calorie burn is important, I would spring for a piece of equipment before a HRM. Although, since you already seem pretty active, a HRM might be better for you so you can more effectively workout. I agree with everyone else about checking on craigslist, amazon and ebay. In about a month when some people give up on their resolutions or finally try getting rid of unwanted holiday gifts, maybe you'll luck out and find both at a reasonable price.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I never use my HRM - it's only accurate for such a limited amount of things and I'm no cardio bunny - so I'd buy the bike.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd go HRM and a set of weights...you got the cardio covered it seems
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Get both. Seriously I got this bike http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090OKG38/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it's perfect, takes no room, is smooth, has different resistance settings, and the calorie count on it was 100% similar to my HRM to boot.

And I use it way more than my HRM anyway (which I don't use anymore, but I do the TDEE method because I was tired of having to figure out my calorie burns for every single walk).
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Honestly with what you're already doing it seems you're doing plenty and adding anything else to your regimen would only complicate things and make it even harder to reach your calorie goal. So I'd definitely get an HRM before another piece of equipment, especially knowing that any treadmill/elliptical/exercise bike you get for that price will probably be junk.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree with most that the equipment you get will probably not be the best. They will function and are good alternatives if not used heavily. However, I personally can't trust the calorie burn provided by any of my indoor equipment. I needed my HRMs to calibrate them. So even if you get the indoor equipment without getting the HRM, you are probably going to be way off with regard to calories and that seems to be one of your main drivers.
  • AidansStarfish
    Options
    Hmmm. Many good points. I feel pretty lost about what I burn, and I _am_ one of those people who struggles to keep from eating back cals. My road running is about to be cut down a bit so I gotta figure this out. And I do have weights, and I do use them- though I've been cardio hog over vacation. As much as I actually love all exercise I definitely require variety. I am going to have to go try a bike somewhere I suppose. Thanks again!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I'd get the bike, to give your joints a break. If you ever get injured (knock wood), it'll come in handy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Duplicate
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get the bike!

If you want to know your heart rate, use your fingers - they are more accurate. They won't accurately calculate calories, but neither will the HRMs. And you can count your steps for free with an app.

I was given one of those things for Christmas and sold the damn thing on eBay. In five years, those HRMs will be behind the times...maybe sooner. Physical activity won't be, though.

Bike, bike, bike! :)

• AidansStarfish
    Options
    Well, I got an extra 200 from a family member so I think I am going with both. Even if I don't get the nicest equipment, I am going for new because I am always disappointed with what I get from craigslist- last one was a bowflex tread climber. How much do I wish I could have a new one. But this older one can't even keep up with me (maxes out at 4 m.h. at highest incline) and is SUPER loud. Wakes-my-children-up-loud. And it is really heavy and tough to fix when the treads start to ease their way to the edges. Plus with my road running I want something smooth and I never feel I can get a full workout from an elliptical....not even sure why I feel that way. I wish I could just go to a gym. Maybe when my kids are school-aged!