Saw the weirdest thing at the gym today

Options
MzChiz
MzChiz Posts: 70 Member
After my workout while in the sauna....a group of older ladies were passing around a bottle of PURE HONEY and rubbing it all over themselves.

I found this odd.....does anyone know what the honey was for? because I sure don't....oh and I need to know if I need to bring mine next time LOL!!!!!!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    LOL>
    i would've had to ask them what was going on.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    very weird.
  • boudrfra
    boudrfra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Must be really sticky after that... imagine the mest!
  • rascal21
    rascal21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    From some odd German Spa Website:

After a short pre-sweating the guests get honey with that everybody can smear their body, from head to foot. Honey cherish and soothe your skin, but our body will not be sticky, because honey thanks to heat becomes flowing, and at the end of the potting, it will be completely absorbed through the skin. Honey helps on the metabolism of skin and it is also effective through spots and little scars. In honey there is more than 190 type of vitamins, mineral materials, hormones, trace elements, which absorbing during the sauna , because all our pores are open at this time. Honey is also good for hair, it becames tender and smooth, gets important nutriments. The honey is popular cosmetic, moisturizes with antibacterial effect. After one honey potting it is guaranteed that our skin will be tender and smooth.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    well... honey nourishes the skin and hair a lot. I guess that if they go to the sauna to sweat, they may also want to help it with nourishing the skin?

I'd be better to do that at home though... other people's towels will get sticky with honey?

uhmmm
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Honey is a natural humectant which draws water to itself so it helps to trap water into the skin without evaporating. It's used in hair products which is why I know this. Maybe that is why they were using it. It's sticky to use in it's pure form though, LOL
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Delicious honey sauna for groups
    Honey contains enzymes that protect and treat the skin, as well as plant acids and ingredients to promote muscle recovery.

Sauna honey exfoliates, improves blood circulation and leaves the skin glowing. Aching muscles can also be massaged with sauna honey. Take your time to enjoy sauna honey and bring comfort to the whole body.

Rub the honey onto the whole body and let it take effect in the gentle heat. The honey crystals will melt and the sugar will start to absorb fluid and with it impurities from the perspiring skin. The skin will be cleansed efficiently. When the honey has taken effect, rinse the honey off under a warm shower. The skin will be left feeling soft and wonderful.

http://www.rauhalahti.fi/en/rauhalahti/spa-et-therapies/special-at-spa/delicious-honey-sauna-for-groups
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    LOL Odd...I'd rather eat it....honey isn't all that cheap either to just rub on themselves without a reason. Maybe it holds moisture in better??? I really don't know
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options

After a short pre-sweating the guests get honey with that everybody can smear their body, from head to foot. Honey cherish and soothe your skin, but our body will not be sticky, because honey thanks to heat becomes flowing, and at the end of the potting, it will be completely absorbed through the skin. Honey helps on the metabolism of skin and it is also effective through spots and little scars. In honey there is more than 190 type of vitamins, mineral materials, hormones, trace elements, which absorbing during the sauna , because all our pores are open at this time. Honey is also good for hair, it becames tender and smooth, gets important nutriments. The honey is popular cosmetic, moisturizes with antibacterial effect. After one honey potting it is guaranteed that our skin will be tender and smooth.

I was going to say that honey is used in a lot of beauty treatments
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    So are you going to start bring honey now too? Lol - seems like a pretty reasonable explanation (the German thing). Hahah but how hard would it be to shower it off? When I get honey on my hands, it seems like it's sort of hard to wash off!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    My guess was as some sort of skin care, turns out I was right. Found this...

"While most experienced sauna bathers know not to use excessive body lotion in the sauna, some like to apply honey and salt to their skin before entering the sauna. They believe doing so promotes a more thorough cleansing of the skin."
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I just saw the weirdest thing on MFP and I'm still speechless

/sorry
    //I'm spent
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Or they were just getting their kink on. What happens in the sauna, stays in the sauna....
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    After my workout while in the sauna....a group of older ladies were passing around a bottle of PURE HONEY and rubbing it all over themselves.

I found this odd.....does anyone know what the honey was for? because I sure don't....oh and I need to know if I need to bring mine next time LOL!!!!!!!

Could be some kinky sex thing :p
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Ashame it was a group of older ladies otherwise that would be AWESOME!!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense now.....when I left MY gym this morning, there was this group of guys in the parking lot wearing Bee costumes...
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It all makes sense now.....when I left MY gym this morning, there was this group of guys in the parking lot dress wearing Bee costumes...

Buzz buzz baby ;)
  • MzChiz
    Options

Thanks! I definitely didn't know all of this! I may have to bring some honey after all lol
  • MzChiz
    Options
    Ashame it was a group of older ladies otherwise that would be AWESOME!!!

LOL! *I just spit out my water all over the room!*