Has anyone had success using Dietbet?

Options
I'm considering joining a dietbet group but am so afraid I won't be able to meet the challenge. It almost seems unattainable.

Replies

• suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Look for a different, less aggressive bet. I've done a couple. First one I nailed, second not so much. There's always alot of longer, more attainable bets to join.
  • Fergie790
    Fergie790 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Either you choose to lose 4% in 4 weeks or 10% in 6 months. Are there other options?
  • Rankinlm
    Rankinlm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've done quite a few and I'm doing one right now. Money is a great motivator for me :)
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My wife has had success with Pact, you set your own goals and it connects with a variety of programs (MFP, Runkeeper, etc) to keep you honest. You determine how much you want to "bet" on yourself to be able to hit the goal.

http://www.pactapp.com
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Dietbet since September. It's been so motivating. Right now I'm doing both a 4% and a 10%.

If you want my 4% game is only $10 if you want to try it out:

https://www.dietbetter.com/games/55403
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome idea! I will join your game.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I did a 4% one in the fall and won. It was a good motivator for me, but I can also see where it could lead to unhealthy behavior in some.

When I did mine, I was afraid I wouldn't win, but I told myself that in the end, even if I didn't lose 4%, I would definitely still lose something and that was worth losing a little bit of money.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Yes go for it!!! I've done a few 4% and 10% games last year. Gearing up for some new ones now. Good luck!!!
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm in one right now and regretting it LOL. To lose 4% of my body weight in a month is 19 pounds in a month and that seems very unhealthy.. Sure at my weight I could probably do it if I ate 1200 cals and exercised but I would be a hangry person and unbearable to be around haha. Plus it seems people sodium'd it up at the beginning so they would have a higher starting weight, cuz some of the people weighed in the 2nd day and lost like 3-5 pounds. Looking like I just threw $35 in the toilet but oh well. Any weight lost is progress, and it is a good motivator. Next time I would do a 10% in 6 months. Leaves a lot more room for leniency and my sanity :P
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just signed up and so did my wife. I had never heard of this before but I love the idea. I love MFP for all the great tools (calorie tracking, and the great people on the message boards) but I have been missing something to give me an extra push to get back on track and I think this will work very well for me.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Do not recommend. Losing 4% in 4 weeks is usually too aggressive. I was in the normal weight range and eating 1,200 to lose something like 7.8 lbs (almost 2 lbs a week!) in 4 weeks.

Also there's cheating. I weighed myself for the first weigh in after a night of drinking and eating salty foods. I weighed in at 2.5 lbs higher than I did even the next day, but it still counts. I worked my butt off over the next 4 weeks but yeah, all you have to do is weigh in high on day 1 to get a huge edge.

All that hard work and I netted $5.50 in winnings. Not worth it.
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've just started a 10% dietbet - looking forward to the extra "carrot" to keep me motivated. Usually I'm a "stick" kind of girl & beat myself up for not staying on my plan. So this approach is a switch for me. And now I feel like I've committed to staying in the zone through June.
  • TashaSc82
    TashaSc82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just started a 4% today. My 4% is 8lbs so it works out to abt 2lbs in 28days right on track with a "healthly" weight loss. I'm sure there is cheating everywhere, but you know what, like others said, if I lose weight and lost $35 its worth it....I've been giving the gym $35 a month and had not gone in 3 months so....
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I did the 4% one in the fall and won .. it was 10 pounds in 30 days. It was tough, but do-able. I just signed up for the 10% in 6 months. I found that after doing the 4% and restricting calories to 1200 and burning 150-200 calories a day in exercise .. It was TOUGH to get back on track to a "normal" diet. 1400 calories is what I am saying is normal .. and 200 calories more doesn't seem like a big difference, but for some reason telling myself I could eat more food was a downfall for me.

BUT .. it was a BIG motivator for me to do the bet .. so I thought the 10% one would be a better fit and would take me through to summer. So far so good!
  • Fergie790
    Fergie790 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've decided to stick with Pact. I've been successful with it so far. I've been doing it for 9 weeks and have earned $14. Not much cash but the idea of them taking money from my Paypal account keeps me highly motivated. Pact doesn't measure weight lost. Dietbet seems so unattainable.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!