Help!!! the after lunch munchies are out to get me!

Options
So I had a great lunch ( lettuce salad with lean ham and WW pineapple fluff) but now that I'm back at my desk I'm constantly bombarded by the sweets all of my co-workers have. I'm getting attacked by the after lunch munchies and I know I can avoid it but it becomes a constant thought in my head. "Must munch, must munch" Does anyone have any good suggestions on overcoming that little voice? I don't want to lose the precious little ground I've already gained. It's only day 2......sigh.......

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Try sucking on mints, brushing your teeth, chew gum, hot tea or a hard candy.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!!!! I logged in to MFP to log my 1/2 serving of almonds i'm trying to combat the munchies with.

Not sure I have a good solution, but some things that help me are drinking hot tea (flavored ones like orange or cinnamon help without needing sugar or anything for flavor), chewing gum, and having a healthy snack (hence, the almonds).

Also, I try to think about it if it's really worth it. Finally, if there is one thing I REALLY want, I sometimes tell myself I can have it but later (maybe after another meeting or in an hour or after I finish a project or after my tea). There are three benefits to this approach: I don't feel deprived (I can have it if I really want it); often I don't really want it after the set time/milestone passes; and sometimes it's already gone when I go back for it (hence not a temptation). The third benefit obviously only works for group treats, like your co-workers' sweets. Finally, if I still want it and it's still there, then I know it's worth it and I eat it and log it.

Good luck!
  • Fireproofrc88
    Options
    I have the same problem. Dawn is right though. Gum is what helps me. If it is sweets you want, Extra makes gum that tastes like desserts (mint-chocolate chip ice cream, apple pie, etc) try one of those.
    Also, mouthwash. nothing tastes good after mouthwash.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's hard to just overcome that voice cold turkey (pun a little intended). Some people can do it. I can't. Try munching on substitutes to start changing or reducing the craving...granola and yogurt, low-fat chocolate pudding, orange slices drizzled in just a little chocolate sauce.

Also, consider the fact that you might need at little bit more with your lunch to keep you feeling full and to stave off temptation. When I started adding a cheese stick to my salad, I felt a lot fuller. At only 70 extra calories, you can't beat it.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I always pack an afternoon lunch and eat that instead of whatever floats around this office; usually two hard boiled eggs and some raw veggies with hummus.