Any tips on cutting out artificial sweetners?

Options
Does anyone have any tips on helping me to cut out artificial sweetners? I am totally addicted to diet sodas, splenda and other fake sugars. I am trying to drink tons of water. Just curious if there is soemthing I am not thinking about that might help... thanks.

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Go cold turkey. It's easier that way, like ripping a bandaid off. Watch your ingredient lists and don't buy foods with added sugars.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stevia is by far your best option as a sugar substitute. my wife and I have been using it for about a year now and we love it.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    sparkling water? I am addicted to perrier. Turns out the sweet meant nothing to me, and i was in love with the fizziness!
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Try using Truvia. I heard that is a good non-fake sweetner. Agave is another natural sweetner and it is low glycemic. I have also been using coconut sugar and date sugar.

Hope this helps.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm with Dr BorkBork. Cold turkey. That stuff is horrible for you. Smaller amounts of the real thing is always the way to go. If you want a soda, have a real one or mix sparkling water and fruit juice.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Find natural sweeteners to replace the fake ones. Xylitol, stevia, and honey are good ones. Agave nectar is another, although there is some debate in the natural community over how good it is for you. (I suppose it's better than aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, though.)

You will be surprised at how quickly your taste buds will adjust, and how a sip of diet soda in the future will completely gross you out.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    if you stop cold turkey it will be hard for a while but eventually you wont even like the taste anymore. I cant even have a diet soda because all I taste is the fake sugar. My friends made margaritas with a light mix that had fake sugar and i couldnt drink that either lol. good luck!
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    Im trying to stop eating or drinking sugar all together but ive recently tried stevia in my oatmeal and it was pretty good.
  • kah02a
    kah02a Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 weeks Diet Coke sober!! It's poison. And I was truly addicted...I even have dreams sometimes that I drank one, and I wake up FREAKING OUT. Haha my friend told me that happens to drug addicts, they dream that they relapse!

You're worth it. Diet coke isn't. Simple as that.

Stevia/Truvia/Agave are your best bet if you MUST have sweetener...
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Wow, I think I might go back to regular sugar in my coffee!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're looking for a sweetener to replace the fake ones, or just how to "detox" and get away from the fake stuff in general. Agave syrup is a sweetener kind of like honey, but it doesn't spike your blood sugar the way real sugar or honey does. It does have calories (60 per Tbsp), so if you need to add a lot of fake sugar to things throughout the day, it may not be the solution you're looking for right now. But I use it in tea, oatmeal, etc. It comes in a squeeze bottle like honey and it's a similar consistency. It blends in easily in both hot and cold things. It a good alternative to both real and fake sugar for me, as fakes make me feel unwell and obviously we all are trying to avoid real sugar where we can.

If you're trying to get off diet soda mostly, fizzy water with fruit flavor is a good one to help wean you off it. I find what I really want is the bubbles. :) I prefer ones that have just flavor and fizz and not sweetness, so I like Arrowhead sparkling water with lemon, orange or berry flavor. You have to be careful when you pick one though, since a lot of them have fake sugar in them too.