5'2, 133lbs and in a size 9-10 pant

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal, but not new to a lifestyle change. I have dropped almost 40lbs over the course of the past year.
I am curious to see how many other 5'1, 5'2 people (women) are out there who are in a healthy weight range, yet still wearing a pretty "big" pant size? I have been doing strength and resistance training for two months and nothing is happening on my waist. I take that back, my size 9's are starting to feel a little loose but it isn't enough to drop a size. I know the way people carries their weight is different, and not every person is the same..but I want to make sure I am not a freak of nature here and there are more people out there my height, but just not seeing the pants size drop.

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and when I was 140lbs I was a size 8 pants. I don't know how that relates to jr sizing. I didn't feel like that was big at all.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Juniors 9 is usually about the same as misses 6 or 8, depending on the brand.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    At 140 I am about a size 8...I'm 5'2"
  • lohkin
    lohkin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that height has something to do with it, too. For example, my 5'7" friend who weighs the same as me (mid 150s) wears a misses size 10 but I wear a size 14 at 4'11". It's distributed differently. I have less vertical space for that weight.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 132 and in a size 9!
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    lohkin wrote: »
    I personally believe that height has something to do with it, too. For example, my 5'7" friend who weighs the same as me (mid 150s) wears a misses size 10 but I wear a size 14 at 4'11". It's distributed differently. I have less vertical space for that weight.

Yes! Us short people get shafted all the way around. Less calorie needs, 5lb weight gain shows more, and larger pant size even though your weight isn't that bad.

Being short sometimes stinks.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    Juniors 9 is usually about the same as misses 6 or 8, depending on the brand.

This.

Size 10 in misses is not equal to a size 9 in juniors. Misses uses even numbers, while juniors uses odd numbers and they aren't matched up equally size wise.

I'm a 12 in misses, and a 15 in juniors.
  • dagost17
    dagost17 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I was 127-130 I wore a size 6. Though a little snug. I'm 5'2. No one believed I weighed that much! I am now 115 and a size 2-4.
  • llysenw
    llysenw Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and 132 lbs, and my size 10 missus are starting to feel too loose. I think I might actually be closer to an 8 now?

I'm mainly just doing cardio and haven't really gotten into strength or resistance yet, so I'm still pretty blobby with a pudgy tummy and all that.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    We are all so different. Body shape makes a difference, and body composition does too! I'm 5'2.5" and weight 131 lbs. I'm a size 4 or 6 most of the time.

I have found though that now that I am older (47), I do carry more weight in my mid section. I am actually pretty lean--maybe 25% fat-but my waist is still thick, even though I no longer have a pot belly!

Weight training helps!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am convinced no one my weight wears as big of pants size as I do and that I will never ever ever be in a smaller size. I'm taller - but I feel your pain.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Have you tried women's or petite sizes 2 -8? The cut of juniors clothing (odd size numbers) is much smaller many times than the equivalent in petite.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2t3y7ug906qf.png
    Just keep going with the strength training. I'm 5'-2" and range from 135 to 140 and wear a size 4-6 pants usually, 5-7 in juniors. In the first year of serious strength training I went down 3 sizes with no change in my weight.

Edited to add comparison pic. No weight change between these two pics
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Have you tried women's or petite sizes 2 -8? The cut of juniors clothing (odd size numbers) is much smaller many times than the equivalent in petite.

This. I used to work in clothing. Juniors sizing is even cut differently, with a much narrower hip ratio, and a longer leg line. It is meant for younger girls still in the lanky phase, not that I was ever in a lanky phase myself.
    I would suggest you look at petites which are specifically for female adults, and give a much better fit for a woman under 5'4".
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options

or... how about short instead of petites. I am 5'2" but find that petites are cut weird on me. Leg length fits but the rise is too short and rides up feeling very uncomfortable. I have found some styles that are made with a regular rise but shorter in leg length... fits great.

I am in a size 4 but has to be "curvy" cut. there is nothing straight about me. I have a definite waist with curvy hips. If every one of us stood in a line, you will find that there will be no two similar body shapes. It all depends upon how your weight is distributed.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and about 154lbs right now and wear a 6-8 in most brands regular sizes or an 8-10 in most petites. When I was 130lbs I was somewhere between a 2 and 4. Body composition is a big difference, as is how you carry weight. I'm inclined to be fairly muscular and I'm broad for my height (my shoulders are wider than my husband's) so even when I was a size 2, I was about 25lbs heavier than my best friend who's the same height and we were sharing clothing. It really does vary a ton person to person, so use how you feel as a metric more than us.

Juniors clothing sizes are weird, you might find that a different department has a majorly different fit for you. I graduated from Juniors' when I was about 13 and puberty hit. I was a size 2 in women's but a size 7 or so in Juniors because anything smaller didn't fit over my thighs.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'2" and 138 pounds, still wearing the same size 10 regular I was when I was at 163. Although it's not as snug I still can't seem to drop to an 8 no matter how much I lose I believe mainly due to my hips. I have had 4 kids, double hip reconstruction and quite content with a slightly loose size 10 :)
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Difference of Misses vs Junior sizes usually is in the hip & bust size.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    and HELLO since when is a 9 or 10 a BIG size? I'm 5'6'' and at my pre-baby skinniness weight 122 I wore that size-and I had no weight to lose.
    I have hips, and shoulders, and that is as small as my frame goes.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I am five three, range of 120-125 lbs, and size 8 in pants. They are always snug because, quads from hell. It's frustrating. They make pants for such skinny legs.