Late night binge eating...

Options
I do very well watching what I eat during the day. My hunger is in good control, but at night I lose it. About 7PM, I just get STARVING and a lot of times blow my day. Does anyone know why that happens, or what to do to help it? Thanks!!

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do that too- I can eat more in the evening than the rest of the day combined. What I do is to plan an evening snack- something nice but calorie controlled like a low cal hot chocolate with a small choc bar. That is included in my daily calories. Then I can manage to control myself as I have had a treat.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am way more hungry at night than in the daytime, so I eat more during the second half of my day. I no longer fight it. (And yes, I'm losing.)

However, if I try to really really not eat until, say, dinner time - maybe just have some soup or something - then I find that I get that "I'M STARVING" feeling later on, and will binge. IOW, over-restriction causes a backlash.

If you're starving at night, you may just have "built up" that hunger during the day. It's easier to deal with hunger when the day is still early, you haven't expended much energy, haven't had the day's stresses and so on. But as the day wears on, you are less able to fight all that. You could have a backlash of eating everything in sight.

I'd say, if you're a night eater anyway, gear a good solid amount of calories for later in the day/at night, but at the same time, don't starve yourself all day. Your body may simply reacting to way, way too little food. This may take some time and some experimenting and tweaking, but eventually you should find your sweet spot.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is just a small tip that helps me. I click "Complete this Entry" on my food diary every day around 8 PM. There's just a feeling of absolution around doing this, and it keeps me from going back and adding more.

Another thing I try to do often is doing something active after dinner such as going for a walk or light jog or even just walking in place in front of the television. It takes my mind off food, and it burns some calories as well!

Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am the same way. In fact, I just stopped eating breakfast so I can increase volume at night. It has really helped me stay within my calories over the past week. Also, looking at your diary, your dietary fat looks rather low, and carbs are on the high side. If you lower your carb intake in the favor of fat, you will feel more full.
  • K8Y88
    K8Y88 Posts: 48
    Options
    I am the same! My advice is go to bed early lmao

Once I'm in bed I find I can't be bothered going downstairs just to get a snack x